301 redirect question

• Question
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Answered
I've just been playing around with a site and it's given me this message

Permanent Redirect Not Found

Search engines may think a-class-driving.com and www.a-class-driving.com are two different sites.You should set up a permanent redirect (technically called a "301 redirect") between these sites. Once you do that, you will get full search engine credit for your work on these sites.
(ive added a screen grab too)

What does it mean? And how do I go about it? Ive just done the advanced settings with Yola and made 'a-class-driving.com' my main site, not 'a-class-driving.systhisite.com' (could that have been harming my search engine listings having the sythnasite name as my primary?)
But I can't see the option for the "www" bit. Is it something to do with Goolge webmaster tools?

Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
  • ok

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello Will,

There is a 301 permanent redirect in place for your domain names, this is how all domains with Yola are set up.

www.a-class-driving.com is your primary domain and there is a 301 redirect in place for a-class-driving.com and a-class-driving.synthasite.com which goes to your primary domain.

You can see how this redirect functions when you go to any of these domains and they immediately take you to the primary domain www.a-class-driving.com.

This might just possibly be a warning in general, but there definitely is one of these in place currently.

Hope that helps!

Emmy
Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hey Emmy

Ive just been on Google webmaster tools. Ive seen that I can change my settings when it comes to prefered domains. Do I want
- don't set
-Display urls as www.a-class-driving.com
-Display urls as a-class-driving.com

Which do/should I use?

When ever I've left links around and subscribed to listing sites etc, Ive always used www.a-class-driving.com, so should I select that one? Or just leave it?
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Will,
You can make this the www version of your domain as that is your primary. It is good that you the www version of your domain when you are creating links, however, this is where the 301 redirect comes in handy. If you or someone else links to your site using the non www version it will automatically direct to your primary. I'm glad I could help :)
Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks Emmy