301 redirects

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I have a website with Yola with a very good search engine rating (top of page 1 with Google). I would like to make a new website with Yola with a new domain. Does Yola allow 301 permanent redirects on every page of the old site to a corresponding page of the new site, as I believe that is the only way to keep my search engine rating (javascript redirects won't do this). Later I would like to delete the first site.
Photo of Philip Bayliss

Philip Bayliss

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hello Philip,

Yola provide you with a 301 redirect for your use. Please see Assigning domains and creating a primary domain

You would set up your new domain as the primary domain and redirect your existing as the secondary domain to this. At some point you could delete your old site and just work on your new as you've mentioned.
Photo of Philip Bayliss

Philip Bayliss

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi

Thank you. The site that I have hosted by you (silver) has a domain purchased elsewhere. Is it possible for me to purchase an additional domain elsewhere and assign it to the same site, with the additional domain as the primary domain, and the older domain being the one that the new domain will redirect to?

I would like to obtain the new domain elsewhere as you don't do New Zealand domains, but if what I have asked isn't possible, could I purchase the new domain from you anyway, and use that as the primary domain, and my existing domain (purchased elsewhere) being the one that the new domain will redirect to?
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Yes you can do that Philip. It doesn't matter if your domain is hosted by Yola or pointed from another registrar. Many Yola subscribers do this including me as a user..