5 minutes into Yola, already a problem - no sub-menu items?

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Answered
Not a good first impression of Yola... I decided to take the plunge and try Yola. Adding my pages that I need and I discover that I can't have sub-items on my horizontal nav menu, only parent level items.. Can this be??
Photo of Mike C

Mike C

• 86 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of diane

diane

• 1238 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi, Mike C,

I'm sorry you're having trouble. Currently, we do not support drop-down menus. There are work-arounds you can follow though:

1) Create sub-pages within your site
or
2) Paste the HTML code for a drop-down menu into a HTML widget on your page.

View this tutorial to learn how to create sub pages: http://www.yola.com/customer-support/...

Follow this link to read an article on adding the HTML code for a drop-down menu: http://personal-computer-tutor.com/dr...

You may also find this site useful: http://yolacodes.yolasite.com/. It has various options on how to add menu's to your Yola site.

If you have any questions, please ask! We have a great community here and everyone is willing to help you get your site looking great.
Photo of Mike C

Mike C

• 86 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Diane, if I understand right, the yolacodes website demonstrates different things you can add, but not through the pagebuilder? This is extremely confusing as it's talking about a chat room and all this other stuff about one person at a time, etc.. Even if I am somehow able to get custom code, how in the world do you tell it where you want the menu to be? Weebly is starting to look good again. I am glad I did not upgrade to Silver yet because I'm hitting roadblock after roadblock with Yola and I hope I can get past these problems...
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Yeah, the yolacode site you can add all of those in the site builder, the yolacode site was built with Yola! :)
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Mike,

The Yolacode site gives you details on adding extra features to your site that aren't available as a Widget in the sidebar. These features are added through customized code using the HTML Widget and for a more advanced user. We know that a dropdown menu is something that would be really great to add to our Sitebuilder and it's definitely on our To Do list! If there is a specific dropdown menu on that site that you would like to implement, feel free to post more detail here on where you're struggling so that we can help you.

What other roadblocks are you hitting? Please do post the problems you're experiencing so that we can help you further.
Photo of Mike C

Mike C

• 86 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I now understand the concept of the Yolacode site, but my question is, when I copy the code from the HTML widgets, how would Yola know where to put that code; the menu for example? Aren't those HTML widgets also visible on my page while I'm building it, thus making it confusing for layout?
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello Mike,
If you drag an HTML Widget onto your page where you would like the menu to display, you will paste the code into the HTML Widget dialogue and the output of the code (the custom menu) will render on the page and you can see what it looks like.

If you are making a custom menu you will want to take the default menu buttons out of the main navigation. You can do this by clicking on "Edit Menu" and dragging the pages from in menu to out of menu.

Hope this helps!
Photo of Mike C

Mike C

• 86 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
When you say "edit menu", you mean "edit navigation" correct? I moved all the items out of the navigation so they no longer appear. But it is physically impossible to drag an HTML widget onto the page where those menu items were. It only lets you drag it into the pre-defined content areas of the page. Please advise.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello Mike C,
Yes, old habits die hard :) This used to be called "Edit Menu", but you are correct, I meant "Edit Navigation". You won't be able to drag an HTML Widget into the area where the menu buttons were located, you will have to create the menu on a different area of the page.

Emmy
Photo of Mike C

Mike C

• 86 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
meaning, below the header banner, which is not what I want.. I'll have to figure some other way to just use parent level menu items then...
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Mike

You can hide all your pages and this will remove the navigation from your site. Then, you can add your custom menu. If you look on the Yola Code site - that's how that site was done.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Mike, You can take everything out of the menu, and then put your custom menu right below where the old menu was. It will look regular! Also, if you ever want to put a lightbox on your Yola site, visit this topic I posted, it has step by step instructions on how to add a lightbox, it gives you the code and everything! Here is the topic: I know how to get lightboxes on our Yola sites!
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Thanks Nathan for your tip! I hope Mike finds it helpful.

I know that you're really excited about your Lightbox code but I ask that you not keep linking to it unless someone specifically asks about that code or is looking for something similar. You're coming across as being a bit spammy and that goes against our TOS. I'm sure that you didn't mean to come across that way. This is just a heads up for next time. :)
Photo of Mike C

Mike C

• 86 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I think its fine that he left the link top his other post, thanks nathan
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Sorry, Sanja. I did not know that. I was just letting Mike know, but I wont do that anymore. Sorry!