+700 W3 Errors which I can't seem to fix with the SiteBuilder!?

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Answered
Firstly I should say I was bugging Yola support (Bless 'em for their patience) all last week with random issues, so this is why I'm now posting here for the first time (that way, they get a weekend free)!

I have been trying to clean up my site in the hope of getting a higher PR. I'm running at PR0 at the moment and my previous Tripod site which I use only to re-direct to Yola is running at PR2..???
Anyway, I ran my site through http://validator.w3.org/ and found between 75 errors for my index page and 763 errors, 1 warnings for a film page.. I haven't checked all the other pages, but you get the idea. Not so good.

When looking through the W3 errors it repeatedly mentions:
"You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">" (ie. this is coming up at "
")"

Back to Yola SiteBuilder.. I go to the text section and open it as HTML and then ammend ">" to become "/>" and come out of the HTML viewer and "Save" the page. When I re-enter the same HTML text box, my corrections have reverted back to ">". Not saved, just reverted back (I'm guessing the SiteBuilder is just dismissing it, not sure why though)

I'm confused as to whether my website will suffer from readability issues. I've read various responses on this forum that say not to worry, but 700+ does seem a lot. I'm wondering if this bad code is keeping the google crawlers off my site..

My website is here below if anyone feels they can help me out (this is not a shamless plug):

http://telecynic.yolasite.com (the page with 75 W3 errors) & the page with +700 errors is listed in the navigation as "FILMS"

Thanks in advance everybody for any pointers. Have a great weekend!
Photo of suresh_after_IT

suresh_after_IT

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • somewhat perplexed

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Rob,
This has come up a few times in the forum, and one of our engineers did comment on this on another thread here: HTML Validation Errors. Please take a look at this thread and let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of Margie

Margie

• 286 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
That bothers me some too, rob, but I've gotten over it after hearing from one of the Yola engineers, who responded very similarly to the one in the link Emmy posted. In exchange for the many free features from Yola, I let the worry go.

When you run your site through the W3C validator, find and correct any errors in your part of the coding (widgets, forms, etc.). That cut my error count down considerably.

Beautiful site, by the way.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
hey, it's actually kind of funny to see "professionals" make "silly" mistakes. LOL...

until I learned how to make columns for another site I'm doing completely in html, I use to create two and three column layouts in yola, preview page, view source, and get the code from there. And doing the w3 validator has brought to my attention, Yola's column codes for the page layouts of multiple columns actually have div *ending* tags that don't go with an open div! Another words, there are more div ending tags than div open tags. Just one of the many codes the engineers can look into. Yes, it may be "ignored" by the browsers. But is it really being ignored? for starters, for each div ending tag that doesn't need to be there, that's 6 bytes of space. Multiply this by the millions of divs used in Yola, that's a lot on yola's resources (and that's just one of the many unnecessary tags and codes). If yola's engineers better optimized the codes, a lot of resources could have been freed up allowing for better performance and ultimately less expenses for Yola. Another thing, with better optimization on Yola's part, there will be more chances for us Yola users to get a "valid" reading on validator.w3.org. I was reading in an article, that google's index and spiders actually validates each site using the validator.w3.org software. A site with a perfect grade on the validator will ultimately be indexed better than one without a perfect grade!

Also, the more perfect a website's code is, the "easier" google can read it. The easier google can read it, the easier it will know what the site is in reference to. And of course, we all know how google's main algorithm indexes sites... the #1 rule in google's index.... google indexes based on relevance to the search! This can all be determined by what some would call a "clean" or "tidy" html code!

I also think Yola should allow us to edit certain codes. such as the head for example, yes, we have the properties bar which is mainly the head. but do we have ALL the meta options in the properties bar? Not exactly!
Photo of Margie

Margie

• 286 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Donald, in response to this comment: "hey, it's actually kind of funny to see "professionals" make "silly" mistakes. LOL.."

I'm pretty sure they're not silly mistakes on Yola's part. Since the Yola is set up for people inexperienced in website coding, it's a trade off.

A Yola site has more divisions than I would use if I were coding from scratch, but when validating I get very few missing ending div tags though.
Photo of suresh_after_IT

suresh_after_IT

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey, thank you everyone for your feedback!

As Margie said I guess the W3 issues are a "trade off", if you work with the individual "drag & drop" text, column, image widgets provided. The Yola SiteBuilder is much more flexible than other services I've tried.

But it does bother me how poorly my site fairs with Google nowadays, considering how I always came up within the top 3 Google search results when I was with the previous host I used.

That said, my time at the old host was spent adding my own HTML (instead of using their SiteBuilder which was very limited), which makes me side with Jonathon on the general issue of "good code/ good page rank", even if the Yola errors aren't "fatal".

If it is, as in the case of the text widget that I mentioned above (that didn't want to update ">" tags), then tidying up the problem HTML and placing it all in an HTML widget seems like a workaround and a fair "trade off", as I really want to keep my site with Yola!

I read another thread on this forum that recommended "HTML Validator" (FireFox plug-in) and then there's Firebug.. I think I'll have a little tinker with them and report back to this thread.

Again, thank you everybody for your kind inputs. I appreciate all your help so much!