Add Google Friend Connect to your SynthaSite

• Idea
  • Updated 8 years ago
We're pleased to announce that you can now use Google Friend Connect with your SynthaSite!

Google Friend Connect is a service that allows you to create social features for your site by allowing people to sign up and become members, right on your site! People can join with their Google, Yahoo, AIM or OpenID accounts, and interact on your site, by inviting friends, posting media or making comments. For more information, click here: http://www.google.com/friendconnect/a....

Please note that in order to use this feature on your site, your site needs to be published first. If your site is not published yet, please see our tutorial: (http://www.synthasite.com/tutorials/p....

Adding Google Friend Connect to your SynthaSite website is easy! Here are the steps:
1) Go to http://www.google.com/friendconnect/a...
2) Click the big blue button that says "Set Up a New Site"
3) You will be taken to an Overview page. Familiarize yourself with it, and then click "continue" to follow Google Friend Connect's 4-step setup process.

Step 1: On the next page you will see two boxes where you need to fill in:
1.1) Your site name: This is the name you gave your site when you created it and the default heading that appears on all your pages.
1.2) Your home URL: This is the address of your homepage. Your home URL is the domain name you used to publish your site, followed by: /index.php
Fill in these boxes. When you are done, click continue

Step 2: The next page asks you to download two files. PLEASE IGNORE THIS STEP! We have already done this for you. Simply click "continue"

Step 3: You will be taken to a page to test your set up. Simply click the "test to finalize set up" button. Google will use the URL you submitted to look for the two files, which we have already added to your site on your behalf.
When you do Step 3: "Test your setup", you should see the following message at the top of the Google page: "Your changes have been saved". That means that Google has successfully detected the two required files.

Step 4: On the next page you will be able to configure and customize your Google Friend Connect Members' Gadget and preview what it will look like. When you are happy with it, click "generate code" and copy all of the HTML embed code Google provides to your computer clipboard.

Now you need to go back to your SynthaSite to install the widget. Don't worry - we're almost done!

1) In SynthaSite, drag and drop an HTML widget onto your page. This is located in the Properties sidebar on the right of your screen, directly below the Two Column Layout widget. A dialog box will open up. Paste the code into this box and then click "ok"!
2) Click the yellow "Update My Site" button.

When adding a Members Gadget to your SynthaSite page, the gadget will not show up properly until you update (republish) your site. While you are editing or previewing your site, Google cannot match your site address to display the gadget. Do not be alarmed if you see an error message before you publish, such as: "We're sorry... This gadget is configured incorrectly. ...". Just click "Update my Site" and the gadget should appear correctly configured.

That's it! Your site is now verified with Google Friend Connect and you can start using this great new feature to grow a community on your very own website!"
Photo of SynthaSite FAQ

SynthaSite FAQ

• 67 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • so excited!

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of Ernst Weinert

Ernst Weinert

• 147 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
whow I changed my little website Online Communications
from synthasite to yolasite and its now completely gone from
Google
http://onlinecommunications.synthasit...
Regards Ernst
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Ernst,
Can you tell me more about what you mean by "completely gone from Google". Is this related to search engine ranking for keywords, indexing or simply finding your site. Please let me know.
Photo of Ernst Weinert

Ernst Weinert

• 147 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi Emmy!
Thanks for the quick reply
I know this is a little site , but by typing the complete URL in to the
Browser it showed on Google.
Ernst
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Ernst,

Do you mean that you used to be able to get to your site when you put the complete address into the browser window, because I am able to get to your site by doing this. Here is a screen shot of the browser window area; but possibly this is not the area you are referring to:

If you are referring to the Google search box, which is in the center of the screen shot, your site won't come up using the search box until it has been indexed by Google. I see that your site with the .synthastie.com subdomain is still the indexed site; which means that when people find it they are still going to get to your site because there is a redirect in place from the .synthasite.com to the .yolasite.com subdomain.

What you need to do is redo the Google Webmaster verification. If you still have the Google Webmaster code in place on your site from when you verified your .synthasite.com subdomain, remove that and go through the Google Webmaster tutorial again, this time for your .yolasite.com subdomain. Here is a link to the tutorial: Google Webmaster Tutorial.

This will help Google see that you have a new domain name and to index your site using it.

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have further questions!

Emmy
Photo of Ernst Weinert

Ernst Weinert

• 147 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Emmy!

Thanks for your help; I think it got something to do with
my change to yolasite. The Google search engine definitely
picked up my onlinecommunications site before. Now I will
have to wait a couple of weeks ( Month ) before Google sees
this site again. It was my mistake, there was somewhere a
write up not to change if your site has it made all the way
to Google.
Not to worry!
all the best Ernst
Photo of Linda Jackson

Linda Jackson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Ernst! I'd be curious to know if it is back up ranking with Google again, and if so how long did it take? Hi Emmy, Question: Would there have been a better way to leave the two sites remain and let Google webmaster know somehow that you were going to phase one out when the other one caught up? --Linda
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Linda,
There really would not have been another way to change the .synthasite.com subdomain to .yolasite.com without using the process that is in place, this is actually the best way to do it; 301 redirecting the old domain to the new domain, this is what Yola has in place for this situation. This makes it possible for any links that are all ready set up to go to the .synthasite.com subdomain to seamlessly go to the .yolasite.com subdomain, as well as search engine listings, to still get to the right site.

I hope this helps, and I would be interested as well to hear from Ernst how things went for him.

Emmy
Photo of Ernst Weinert

Ernst Weinert

• 147 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi all!

It has been some time now - and I say let sleeping dogs sleep.

End of the month I will put up a new site which I did for someone else, still
have to buy the domain which is currently still in use by another party.
I think the site looks ready to go, what do you think? >>>> http://kapstadtlodging.yolasite.com/
Photo of joshua

joshua

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you so much
PPC optimized website
Photo of theplaugeclan

theplaugeclan

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
My sytha site won't work at all like it will not let people sign up on my site it just comes up as
We're sorry...

This gadget is configured incorrectly. Webmaster hint: Please ensure that "Friend Connect Settings - Home URL" matches the URL of this site.

even after i finshed editing and update and log off

what do i do?
Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Hello,
You will see this on your sitebuilder as it picks up your sitebuilder's URL as opposed to your published URL. Could you please update your site and see if it works on your live site.

If this does not solve your problem, please let us know.