annoying domain ad when publishing

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • In Progress
i get an annoying advert come up when publishing site offering me to search for domain name 
this has frozen on publishing a few times and had to reload builder a few times 
Photo of Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Stefan

Stefan

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Paul

I can't replicate the issue you're reporting, when I log into your Sitebuilder directly to check things. Everything seems to be fine.

I'm afraid what you describe sounds like you have inadvertently downloaded malware to your computer, adware to be specific. This domain ad isn't produced by Yola. Another option is that the ad comes up because of custom code you added to your site, however, the problem didn't occur on my end, when I opened your Sitebuilder. Please check your computer for malware and remove it, which will most probably solve the problem you're experiencing right now.
Photo of Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
its a yola ad 
its built into the publishing process i will take a pic the next time it happens 
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hello Paul,

Good to see you're continuing with the site building!

I know what you mean  but if it annoys you then suggest that you ignore it. It is an up-selling practice and it's also displayed at a functionally ideal place in the sequence of publishing. If you consider the probability that there are many people who are ready to publish to a custom domain but are unsure of the process to do this at this stage, then the cue to "get" a "custom domain" at that point is really spot on. If you are wanting to do this then simply continuing through the purchase and payment(s) you end up with the domain ready to go without having to regress back into the publishing again.

There's no doubt that Yola are wishing to sell a domain to those who are publishing on a sub-domain. I think that is a reasonable strategy on their part as they are a commercial company and they are offering the sitebuilder free of charge so offset that cost and capitalise on it  to any who wish to use it, is good marketing.

Monique has said many times that any who wish to use the sitebuilder for free are not second class users, we are all welcome to avail ourselves of this service, paid or free.
Photo of Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hi Gop yes still building have had 130,000 unique visitors now and am starting to hit 10,000 a month i dont mind the ad its just when it causes the publishing to freeze that i find annoying it has not done that today i also pay for yola and have had my domain for 4 years paid through yola its a great service 
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
That;s very impressive Paul. It pays off as you stay with it and keep on tending the sites.

May I ask if you are or were using Chrome when this happens? There have been a couple of reports of the recent Chrome releases causing intermittent issues. I have observed slow downs with Chrome Version 37.0.2062.58 beta-m (64-bit) and recently some browser hangs and crashes but not with FF. They seem to take it in turns. Some general reports that IE seems to work when Chrome doesn't, as well.
Photo of Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

now its started doing it again froze the publishing 3 times in a row had to reload site builder and re do work from scratch 
(Edited)
Photo of Stefan

Stefan

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Paul

Can you please let me know
  • the name of the site where you experience this problem. You can view the exact name by clicking on the "Site" tab and reading it from the drop down list on the very left-hand side. If you've published your site already, you shouldn't see the publishing dialogue box you posted in the screenshot above. Republishing should not take you to this dialogue box.
  • the browser you're using
  • the browser version you have
This would help me investigate the issue you're experiencing more deeply.
(Edited)
Photo of Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
using google chrome not sure of version 

this happens on yla site builder 
Photo of Stefan

Stefan

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
I need to know for which website it happens. If it's already online, it shouldn't. Or does this happen for any website you open in the Sitebuilder, regardless of whether they've been published before or not?
Photo of Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
oh sorry misunderstood i only have 1 website www.aidanobrienfansite.com
Photo of Stefan

Stefan

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Paul

I've tested your Yola Sitebuilder using Google Chrome, and I'm afraid I'm not able to replicate any of the issues you're reporting. Since your website is already published to http://www.aidanobrienfansite.com/, it shouldn't give you the dialogue box of which you posted a screenshot above. This dialogue box only shows on first time publishing or republishing after having unpublished the site. So when you click on your "Publish" button in the top-right corner of your Sitebuilder, do you always get the dialogue box you posted above? What should actually happen when you click the "Publish" button is that a dialogue box loads and finally tells you that your website has successfully been published, with an option to post this to Social Media, etc.

Can you please go through the trouble-shooting steps of our tutorial My site won't load in the Sitebuilder in order exclude the most obvious causes of the issue on your end? Especially clearing cache and cookies often does its magic. If you're still experiencing this problem afterwards, please let me know again, and we'll consider to have our engineers look into this. Thank you.
Photo of Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

• 79 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
it does not always pop up its fairly random