Problem pointing domain

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
I bought a domain with yola but I decided yola was not for me I didn't ralize I couldnt edit anything without buying silver for my client. I liked the idea because shed be able to maintain the site herself.
I cant transfer the domain because it was less than 60 days and it wont let me change the IP addresses to point to the content on the new site. HOW DO I GET THIS TO WORK.
ns1.dreamhost.com 66.33.206.206
ns2.dreamhost.com 208.96.10.221
ns3.dreamhost.com 66.33.216.216
Photo of Aysha O'Brien

Aysha O'Brien

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • really mad.

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hi Aysha,

You need to change the name Servers as you have indicated.
Here's the Yola tutorial on that.

Hope it goes smoothly.
Photo of Aysha O'Brien

Aysha O'Brien

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
it doesnt that's what I did exactly and it kept giving me those pesky error messages.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Aysha

Can you please let us know what error message you get?
A screenshot of the DNS page where you filled in the changes would be useful for us to help you further as well.

Also, please provide your URL or login e-mail (not your password), so that we can track your account in our system.

Thanks.
Photo of Aysha O'Brien

Aysha O'Brien

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I couldnt get it to work so I changed the defaults back to yola
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.metropolitanrockabilly.ca.
at this point I'll be happy to just get this site running.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Aysha,

I'm confident we can get this fixed for you. Can you please tell me where you want the domain to point now? I gather there has been some back and forth. I am happy to set up your records for you manually once you confirm. Also, please note DNS changes can take 24-48 hours to propagate though it's often much faster.
Photo of Aysha O'Brien

Aysha O'Brien

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
just point them to yola for now
I'll transfer the domain out of here once it can be unlocked.
Thank you.
Photo of Aysha O'Brien

Aysha O'Brien

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Why isn't this site running?
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Your zone records aren't pointed to Yola and your CNAME record is pointing to another IP address again.

CNAME metropolitanrockabilly.ca 66.33.216.216
A www.metropolitanrockabilly.ca 208.96.10.221

If you wish this to work with Yola you can set up two A records both pointing to Yola.

IP address: 184.72.229.176.

a www.metropolitanrockabilly.ca 184.72.229.176
a metropolitanrockabilly.ca 184.72.229.176

or 1 a record and 1 cname record as:

A metropolitanrockabilly.ca 184.72.229.176.
CNAME www metropoliatanrockabilly.ca

If you wish to point your domain somewhere else then the IP addresses would have to be theirs and you would need to find out what they require for the records to point to their servers: A records or Nameservers?
Photo of Aysha O'Brien

Aysha O'Brien

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Could you please set up two A records both pointing to Yola.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Aysha,

You said that you have purchased your domain through Yola.

You don't need to point anything if that's the case if you wish to keep using Yola as your sitebuilder. The only time that you would need to adjust the Zone records is if you wish to point your domain to another host.

Unless you have altered the settings again it should be OK.

If you have altered the DNS settings or re-directed the Nameservers then you will need to ask that these be reset.
Photo of Aysha O'Brien

Aysha O'Brien

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
II wanted to point it to another host.
because yola doesn't support using an FTP or any regular site building tools.
I didn;t change anything with my server just with yola and then set it back to defults.

now I went in and looked and set the IP Address to 184.72.229.176
as requested so the IP addresses go where they are supposed to well go.
will this fix the issue?
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
It's showing here:

Photo of Aysha O'Brien

Aysha O'Brien

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
weird
Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to www.metropolitanrockabilly.ca
I'll clear my cache and try again.
Photo of Aysha O'Brien

Aysha O'Brien

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
still nothing.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
I can't explain that Aysha. I have seen this before once when a UK person and me in Thailand were discussing with a Canadian user this same thing. First of all no-one could see the site. A minute or so later the person in the UK could see it but the owner and myself couldn't then a couple more minutes later I could see it but not the Canadian owner. Finally the site became apparent to them.

How to explain it I really don't know. I guess just keep checking as the fact is that it's successfully published, but sadly hasn't been seen by yourself.
Photo of Aysha O'Brien

Aysha O'Brien

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
and there is no way you can unlock my domain for transfer early?
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
I am not Yola, Aysha. I'm a customer as yourself..

The restriction on Locking/Unlocking is controlled by another higher authority.It's a universal restriction not controlled by Domain registrars. It's a standard lockdown of 60 days.
Photo of Aysha O'Brien

Aysha O'Brien

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sorry to trouble you then, sounds like they're cheaping out on tech support. The site is still not up so I will find a way to contact yola directly.
Photo of Aysha O'Brien

Aysha O'Brien

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
the site does still not work.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
That's really disappointing Aysha. I can only suggest the standard recommendations like checking on another computer, clearing the cache, connect on another network or ISP, really stuff people don't want to hear at this stage but it can work in relevant situations.

I can't see that it's anything that Yola can control but I hope their expertise can pull a rabbit out of the hat for you. You certainly deserve to be able to see your own site. Truly, Good Luck with this.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Aysha

I must admit that I'm a bit lost on your thread about what you actually want to do. So I can confirm that your site is up on our end. Would you still like to change the name servers and point your domain away from us? Then we can try and do this for you.
Photo of Aysha O'Brien

Aysha O'Brien

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
no the site still doesnt work with chrome I'm just going to cancel the account and do a domain transfer at the end of the month.
What I want is a site that works. I fixed the name servers.
thanks anyway.