Broken Links, broken will to live

• Question
  • Updated 10 years ago
  • Answered
Hi people. Help and advice needed. I've just re-jiggled my front page on my site and had a little "broken link check" at the same time Ive got 250 broken links from my blog pages.

The blogs had a link from my front page, I've now put the links back, but Im still getting over 250 broken links when Xenu scans my website. I remember when I first started this website creation business that search engines frown upon broken links ... what can I do to correct this issue? Am I going down to the supplemental index???
Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
  • in trouble

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Will,

Can you post a few of the broken links so that we can take a look for you?
Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Official Response
I think this could be related to a problem we're having with the tags on blogs because the links all appear to be tag links. Here's the related thread: http://forum.yola.com/yola/topics/tag....

Our engineers are working on the problem and we'll keep you updated - apologies for the inconvenience in the meantime.
Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks for the swift reply. could I ask one question? If google crawls me is it going to think my site is a mess and get angry and dump my site? Basically could it have a negative effect in some way shape or form? Ive just been on webmaster tools and nothing highlighted at the moment. I don't mind about loosing the pages, I can make them again. In your expert opinion would you recommend getting rid of the pages and making a new one just incase?
Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Sorry, I meant could I ask a bunch of questions!
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Will - I'm not too sure what would happen if Google crawls your site and if there would be a reaction. I'm quite sure that we will have this bug fixed in the next few days (because it's weekend it's taking a bit longer :)

You can also keep in mind that even if Google do crawl your site and get unhappy, once the problem is fixed, they will crawl your site again and it should all be ok.

Unfortunately I'm not really an expert with SEO matters and I can ask someone to come and add their comments.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Will,
We have fixed the bug with the broken blog tags so I am hoping this will fix the broken links problem you are having. Can you let us know if you are still having trouble with this.

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Will,

It seems that the problem is on your published site but not on the Preview page - can you try clicking on the "Update my Site" button and let me know when that's done so that I can see if it makes a difference.
Photo of Will

Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I've updated, thanks Marije.
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Seems to be good now - let me know if Xenu come back with more problems :)
Photo of moneyroll beats

moneyroll beats

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
im having the same problem are you sure the issue is fixed???
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
This post is over 3 years old so if you are having a problem it's unrelated. Please create a new post detailing yoru issue and be sure to reference your website and any affected pages and we'll be happy to assist you further.