Can I get my own forum onto my website?

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
I know that you can't yet create a forum on your Syntha Site website, so I have created one on Lefora.com. Is there any way I could embed the forum from that site onto my Syntha website? I have tried Iframe, but it didn't appear to work.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Photo of Cheeky Hobbit

Cheeky Hobbit

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of insite

insite

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'd like to see that ability also. It is a free site though. Can't complain to much...
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
We don't have our own forum feature yet. However, if you search for free forum, or free message board you should be able to find one you like. Copy the embed code and paste it into the HTML widget in SynthaSite and your forum will be embedded in your page.

You can also get a mini forum from Widget Box (in our "widgets" folder). Here is the direct link: http://www.widgetbox.com/search?q=forum
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Cheeky Hobbit (cool nickname!!!)

Embedding your forum using an iframe should work. What happened when you tried to add yours?

It would help if you could send me the URL of your site or a copy of the code you used to add your forum. If you don't want to post it here, you can email it to support@synthasite.com

Best wishes
Monique
Photo of Cheeky Hobbit

Cheeky Hobbit

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When I tried using the iframe, it simply just showed the code and the forum did not appear. I don't have a lot of experience with iframe, so I wouldn't be that surprised if I did it wrong!

My site: http://www.conquestcentral.synthasite...
My forum: http://conquest-central.lefora.com/fo...

Cheers
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Cheeky Hobbit

I went to lefora.com, created a forum and embedded it in my SynthaSite page. So now I can speak with some authority :-)

Here is what you need to do:
1) In SynthaSite: drag and drop an HTML widget onto your page
2) Delete the default text in the HTML editor
3) paste this code, replace YOURFORUM with the short name of your forum on lefora:

<!-- <iframe src="http://YOURFORUM.lefora.com" width="800" Height="600"></iframe> -->

NB: Remove the and the -- >. I only added that to prevent the forum from being embedded in this post!

So I have learnt something from all this:
1) Lefora is a great service with a super support page!
2) You can embed their forums in your SynthaSite site using an iframe!

Get back to me if you have any trouble embedding yours!

Best wishes
Monique
Photo of Cheeky Hobbit

Cheeky Hobbit

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Woohoo, it worked!

Thanks a bunch, and gotta say you've got a great site going here. :)
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
I am really glad to hear that. Thanks for posting the tip about lefora.com. I am sure it is going to help other people too!
Photo of Cheeky Hobbit

Cheeky Hobbit

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Okay, so there's a different problem now. The forum works on my site and everything, but when I go to log in it just won't let me. I click on the shortcut way at the top and nothing happens, and when I do it the longer way it still doesn't log me in.

It just doesn't load - like I haven't even clicked on anything.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hmmm - you've got me there I am afraid. Can you contact the support people at lefora.com and ask them about this? Let me know what they say!
Photo of Anmolya

Anmolya

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sup,

I tried this code on the html changed the name to FORUM

<!-- <iframe src="http://FORUM.lefora.com" width="800" Height="600"></iframe> -->

NB: Remove the and the -- >. I only added that to prevent the forum from being embedded in this post!

I DID all that
Still Doesn't work can someone Please Help me?
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
The problem is with your URL. "http://FORUM.lefora.com" does not seem to be the URL of your forum. I know that lefora gives you a unique URL for your own forum. Please check on this for me and get back to me if it still doesn't work.
Photo of Illuminus Shadow

Illuminus Shadow

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having issues as well. I have tried various free forum websites, including lefora, and each time I attempt to embed the completed forum in my website the page refuses to load afterword.
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Illuminus Shadow,

I tested the lefora forum and managed to embed it in my site as per the above instructions (see my pic below).

Have you tried the forum widgets in the Widgetbox Gallery? There are a few there that may work. The other alternative is to have your forum hosted outside of your site and add a link to it from your webpage.

Photo of si0pa0_tgis

si0pa0_tgis

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i fOUnD a gReaT FoRuM.... ItS FORUMOTION.COM
its free and very easy to use....
try it!!! and tell me what u think....
Photo of si0pa0_tgis

si0pa0_tgis

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
the thing is u canot embed 8 on ur site but u cn link to it...
has alot of features ive been luking 4 in a forum...
Photo of si0pa0_tgis

si0pa0_tgis

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
try 2 c my forum.... its tgis.synthasite.com.........
its a link in the footer of d page...
hope i help...
Photo of flickher

flickher

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
wow.. the forums look quite cool.. definitely gonna try these out..
Photo of Casey Stubbs

Casey Stubbs

• 222 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I have tried several forums in synthasite. I had trouble with most of them. I tried lefora and free forum.com The best one that I found works great in synthasite is: http://www.nabble.com
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Thanks for sharing that Casey! It's great to know what users are having success with!
Photo of Rezwan73

Rezwan73

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
there is a problem in nabble. Registration can't be done by the user forum only for his website. registration is done for nabble.
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Could you expand on this please Rezwan73, I'm not sure I follow.
Photo of Rezwan73

Rezwan73

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I mean, if any one wants to register himself to a certain forum(created with nabble) in a website then he can't do it. He has to register himself with the main website(www.nabble.com). Nabble don't offer registration for each forum. I think this is not so good for my site users if i have a website.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hello Rezwan73,

You can register from within a forum on a website. True it is a nabble registration but you stay on the site for registering. There is a strange anomaly after confirming registration as it opens another browser page. I would simply close this and continue working on the primary site. I haven't noticed it as a problem or heard from users that it's a problem.
Photo of ponytail43@verizon.net

ponytail43@verizon.net

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
confused

ponytail43@verizon.net

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Please help me fix this trouble its making me feel nuts
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello ponytail,
Can you tell us more about the problem you are having so we can try to help you.

Kind Regards,
Emmy

ponytail43@verizon.net

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
now please tell me what best for me to do !!!!can you please help me set this up so i can use it now.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Are you having trouble adding a forum to your site. Can you tell us more about what you are using, what you have done thus far, and what type of problem you are running into. Also, a link to your site would help. We would definitely like to help, but just need more information on your particular situation. Thanks!
Photo of Luc

Luc

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello,
I was wondering about this comment :

"I mean, if any one wants to register himself to a certain forum(created with nabble) in a website then he can't do it. He has to register himself with the main website(www.nabble.com). Nabble don't offer registration for each forum. I think this is not so good for my site users if i have a website. "

I totally agree that this regestration process is undesirable ... but then again it is free service ;)

My Questions are :
1. Does Lefora have the same type of registration as this? (i.e. any forum users must register with Lefora.com before using the forum) ?

(I'm sure it probably does just couldn't find that bit of info ... in fact they probably all do but I just wanted to clarify. (Btw , someone should really do a tutorial covering all this as it seems "Forums" are one of the most asked about topics here) :))

2. Are there any other decent forum builder options that don't do this?

3. And besides "nabble" and "lefora" are there any other decent free Embeddable forums?

(something like "Forumotion.com" but embeddable sure would be nice , high hopes?)

Thanx in advance,

Luc.
Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Hi there Luc,

I was going to answer on your other post but I will answer on here instead - I hope you don't mind.

There is a great comparison of Nabble and Lefora here: http://www.forum-software.org/forum-c... - worth checking out.
You do have to sign in for both forums... it seems that it is necessary for moderation.

But - there is a new forum option!

We have now integrated with a 3rd party service called "Tal.ki" which provides you with the ability to easily add a forum to your site by dragging and dropping the Tal.ki forum widget. Here are the steps:

1. Go to the "Widgets" tab in the Sidebar, to the right of screen.
2. Drag and drop the Tal.ki Forum widget.
3. You can sign in using your Facebook, Google, or Yahoo account and more!

For more information about Tal.ki and how it works, please feel free to visit their site .

I hope this helps.
Photo of Luc

Luc

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thankyou Jeremy,
That IS a good comparison isn't it , in fact I'd just finished reading it before I typed the above reply :) Lefora by far has the most green ticks and the editors best rating even compared to Nabble so based on that you would definatly choose Lefora ... However , there must be some fairly good reasons for so many to say they prefer Nabble or others (and say that it embeds very well with yola)
(It didn't mention registrations at all but I presume everything is like that , i'm not scared of trying different things it's just my PC is slow and I very much dislike signing into many different sites and trying to keep track of it all. Being as busy as we all are these days , It pays to research and ask questions first , then dive in and give it a good go ;)

I had a read about Tal.ki (offshoot from Lefora learned) and think I've seen it in action , It's a bit like twitter it seems. I'm not positive it would suit my preferences but certainly would be a unique communication method and probably would help heaps to draw traffic , much like I'd imagine twitter does (I don't use 'social networking' sites very much at all , ironically , seeing as though I want to build a forum , heheh :D)

Well , as usual I will put off a decision for a couple of days while I continue with researching the options.
What is your preference if I may ask? ... any other thoughts? :)
Cheerz,

Luc.

Noted : Tal.Ki accepts all those different registrations ... not sure how that works but it boggles the mind really , I use Yahoo (ew) for E-mail ... that would work? hmmm
Anyhow , sorry for the long posts ... thanx again.
Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Hi there Luc,

I quite like Tal.ki myself - It seems to work quite nicely.

How the sign up works is it is a bit cross-platform - if you sign up with your Yahoo email it will use your name and details from there to sign you in to your Tal.ki forum. Yahoo already knows who you are so it will use those details to log you in without having to verify you again. It is also great for visitors because they don't have to register either.

I hope this helps.