Can I remove the Make Your Own Free Website Link at the bottom of my website?

• Question
  • Updated 11 years ago
  • Answered
Archived

This conversation was archived and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

can I get rid of the "make your own free website" link at the bottom of my website? I bought a domain name from godaddy.com but I think having the free link at the bottom of the site makes my site look less professional? What do you think?
www.lonestarwa.com
Photo of Lea

Lea

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • embarrased

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hello Lea,

The question arises moderately frequently. It has been seen as something that Yola wishes to implement. It will possibly be a paid for feature as this is seen as an effective strategy in getting the Yola word out. The release date hasn't been released. Yola tend to add joyful surprises periodically so we will see it sometime.

As for the professional look. I think this is quite subjective. I am fairly sure that it's not so much the surfer but rather the designer who maybe critical of this aspect. I never had a feeling of being put off by it. I certainly have seen other professionally designed sites with logos, badges and bylines and have never read of a negative comment in this regard.

The small reference is not associated in anyway with the type of domain; (sub or owned). This is because the domain is a totally independent transaction and has nothing to do with the free service and facilities of the Yola builder. Another point with regard to your question is the reference to words used. Different styles have different add lines. Sometimes the site creator has considered the impact of these words on their site design and consider the wording as part of the selection of the style.

I hope that you're enjoying your Yola experience and please feel welcomed into this community of yours.
Photo of KanThaiDecor

KanThaiDecor

• 2402 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
I have talked about this before....I think 99.99% of the people that visit you will only care that your site has a degree of professionalism in its look and you have what they want...I was a buyer by profession and when I was looking for goods or services on the net I never once cared to even look if someone was using a free hosting service.....I did however care that they had branded e mail and did shy away from sub domains.
Photo of KK

KK

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I feel the same way. I am grateful for the free site and want Yola to do well and stay around. But I agree a statement about get your free site here devalues your website site and makes it sound amateurish and "homemade."
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
i'm in the camp - i really dont care - you may have noticed some are more intrusive than others - cleanslate is a perfect example of minimal footer links.
For me i knew nothing of CSS and HTML when i arrived and without Yola i would have had to pay for either college or someone to do it for me, thats why i dont mind them having a link on my pages. I would however saying that remove it if i could, but this would (and fairly so) have to cost something.

Like John says - if the content is proffesional no one even notices the yola link.

Lee - http://hexham.info
Photo of Valika

Valika

• 119 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Additionally, I'm glad, that I have the opportunity to help people who are visiting my site to create an own website like me, if they wish, free and easily, informing them with this little Yola link at the bottom of each sites. It's a great thing to share this fantastic service with others. Your site would not look less professional with this, I'm sure. As the other guys told you before, your content should be professional first and then your design as well.
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
excellent point.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I don't think they'll ever get rid of that. That's part of having a free site is advertising for them... If you buy a site I BELIEVE (but not sure) it goes away?
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
if you buy a domain it stays, a domain name is a sepearte purcase to a built site, if it disappeared along with it would the CSS, the editor and the support. Thats why im happy to have it there.
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Interesting discussion. Peter - your initial answer to this was spot on, and everyone else's perspectives have been very valuable as well.

As Peter has said, we are looking to implement the option to remove the footer in the near future. This entails gaining the necessary permissions/licenses from the style designers, as well as putting in place the technical requirements (data on who has the footer and who has opted to remove it). It is true that the footer link assists others in finding our service, as it acts as a kind of referral system. Although we do not charge a fee for site building and hosting, this link is pretty important to our growth as a company. For this reason the option to remove the footer will carry a fee.

We have quite diverse opinions on this issue, all of which we want to take into account. We really want to meet everyone's needs in this area. Some people really want to remove the footer because it detracts from the professionalism of their sites, others barely notice it and still others are more than happy to keep it. (In fact we have another active thread where people are requesting badges and banner ads to place on their sites in addition to the footer link!)

I would be interested in a quick "vote around the room". Anyone can jump in.

Is removing the footer:

1) Very important to me
2) A matter of indifference to me
3) Don't mind the footer but would like to be able to add my own info to it (eg, copyright info, Terms of Service link etc)
4) Not important at all - I am happy to keep the link

Let us know! Which of the above 4 options most closely fits your position? This would be very useful feedback for us.
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
I'm 1.5 , i would rather it be removed, i would expect it to be in a domain package not on the sub's, perhaps the option of a small image or standard text on subdomains would be better for some?
On my site ideally i would like to remove the footer link and add advertising else where throughout the site. - you'll be hard pushed finding the same opinion on this question.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
2. for me.

I want the branding. I would like to choose a method for this. A footer, a badge, an ad. I think it does two things. It helps bond the creation with it's origin. It gives me a choice, maybe a choice is a bad selection of word but certainly an option.

Sorry Monique, your questionaire is not as simple as 1,2,3 or 4 :(
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Any variations also fine :)
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
my personal opinion... if indeed it does stay when you purchase a domain (for yola's benefit) it should be removed automatically upon purchasing a domain... this alone can get yola more purchases for those that want to do away with it.
Photo of HussainGardezi

HussainGardezi

• 217 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am also against of "FOOTER" specially FREE word in footer, it will take bad effect on our sites Market Value, also for those who make SALES on Site.

and its really amazing after so many suggestion and dis likeness Yola peopls not taking any action on it. May be, they dont have CARE of users on this issue. :)

its part of Yola Tos. So what can we say against it, we must have agree with it, otherwise they will not give us service :P

Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Uhm - did you see my post? A bit unfair to say we are not taking action on it!
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hi Hussein,

I am fairly sure that yola have heard us on this one very much. I'm sure if they had our preferences as their key goal it would be done immediately. I don't think that business works like that.

There really are a lot of request features on the board. Most would have passionate advocates wishing for it yesterday. The Yola people have to balance the maintenance and upgrading of the systems, bug fixes, emergencies and in all that they would schedule features. They really do have to call the priority of this work. We can give them our preferences but they really do have to integrate it all together with efficiency. Of course there are ways of making it happen faster and one obvious solution would be more staff. easy solution. No that costs and business will only survice with a good management strategy including balancing numbers of staff vs the cost of that and the income less the outgoings. We really can't demand that sort of response. No business can run like that.
Please wait and enjoy other aspects in the meantime.

It really will happen. I know that. I have seen features appearing after requests.
Photo of HussainGardezi

HussainGardezi

• 217 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey Monique,
I am sorry if you feel this unfair,
i am using Yola (SynthaSite) from last year july/august (2008) after closing the Google Pages, i choose it, its really a better alternative of Google pages and also much better then Google Pages.
here i have searched some Company opinions about "Footer"

Kershnee, Official Rep, replied 9 months ago
Hi Thrundar,

Unfortunately, the footers are subject to the template you chose and are not editable. We are working on adding more and better styles with more customization options and this includes the ability to edit the footer.

Regards,
Kershnee

again

Monique, Official Rep, replied 4 months ago

We are thinking of ways to make this option available in future, but right now the fee is for the domain name only, not an option to remove the footer.

From last 9 months you have not taken any action so now you are comming to FEE :)

Many peopls recognize the FOOTER as a "Advertisement".
Like "remove footer advertisement"

Now, Peopls Enjoy the "absolutely Free of Cost" Yola Website with LITTLE charge of removing the "advertisement".

Thanks for your time to reading this ;)

Once again Sorry if you mind it or dont take a good response :(

HussainGardezi
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
well... people definately can think to themselves.... mmm... he's obviously making money on this site... what's he spend the money on if he has a free site?
Photo of Connor McCarra

Connor McCarra, Champion

• 944 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Hey,

I remember checking the site overlay of one of my homepages on analytics and about 20% of clicks went to that 'build free website with Yola' link.

It is definitely a good way for Yola to advertise on a huge scale. I had searched the web many times before for free website builders but never came across Yola. It took a blog post called '241 fun things to do online' for me to find Yola!
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
what if, instead of the footer, by default, Yola puts an advertisement at the bottom of everyone's page? Of course, only for free sites. It'll seem to the customers it's an ad just like the rest... and it won't imply that we used the same service like it does now.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
BETTER IDEA... everytime someone clicks on this advertisement and someone registers a new account with yola... it registers... Donald referred Person A and upon Person A purchasing an account, 10% commission is given. :) <-- GOOD IDEA
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
To be able to make money directly related with your website builder could definately be a unique opportunity and probably attract a new world of customers. :)
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
For me personally, it really doesn't matter. The footer is so unobtrusive that I don't even notice it. For my purposes, having a footer is just fine with me. I do understand the desire for some people to get rid of the footer.

It sure is a fine balance between what we want and how we can better promote Yola. I wish I had answers but unfortunately I don't.
Photo of Valika

Valika

• 119 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Monique, I love your 3rd option, it would be great! But I don't mind the present situation at all, as I have already told above.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
I'll say 2 and 4 Monique !
Depending on which one of my sites.
Photo of HussainGardezi

HussainGardezi

• 217 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
removing the footer:

1) Very important to me
2) A matter of indifference to me
3) Don't mind the footer but would like to be able to add my own info to it (eg, copyright info, Terms of Service link etc)
4) Not important at all - I am happy to keep the link
-
5) is excellent if it will be free.
Photo of Andrew2

Andrew2

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I think removing the footer would be quite important so I would give it a 1.