How do I copy and paste links within the Sitebuilder?

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
After April 2, 2012 yola update, copy & pasting links isn't working. Pastes the links as plain text instead of blue links. I am currently using latest Google Chrome.
Photo of Tasha Erickson

Tasha Erickson

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • sad

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Tasha Erickson

Tasha Erickson

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Correction: ALL formatting is gone.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Tasha,

If you want to create links on your website, you need to do so using the link editor or HTML, not by copying and pasting them. Please see this tutorial: Creating Links.

Also, you want to avoid copying and pasting in the Sitebuilder altogether as it can cause your page to break. Please see this tutorial for more information.
Photo of Tasha Erickson

Tasha Erickson

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I know perfectly well how to make links. What I am saying is that for the entire span that I have had my website (which is over a year) I have had no issue copying and pasting text, and specific to this issue links. I am not copying and pasting external links. I am copying and pasting links that I have already created. Example: at the bottom of every page of my website I have 6 or 7 links to all my main pages. When I create a new page, I was able to copy them all from one page, and paste them to the new page. Much less time consuming than creating links separately AND THEN having to format it all so it looks consistent with the rest of my website. The problem I am reporting is that none of the formatting copies over any more, and it is just straight text as if I just typed it myself. As for copy & pasting "breaking" my page? I have never had one single issue with that. Must be a new development after one of your updates.

Also, I have no idea why this is titled "How do I create links?" That is NOT what I titled this, and it evidently has given you the wrong impression.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Tasha

What I understand from your last post is that you have links in a Text Widget that you want to copy/paste to other Text Widgets on other pages. And it used to work when you did so, but now it has stopped working. Is that correct?

I think I have discovered these links at the bottom of your site "TMphotographyFresno.com". To test it, I created a page named "test-page" (it is not in your navigation, and you can delete it yourself at any time). I copied the content of your Text Widget with the links on the home page and was able to paste it into another Text Widget on the Test Page successfully. The links worked when I checked them in Preview.

Can you please try this workaround:
  1. Click into the Text Widget with the links and then on the blue HTML icon in the Text Editing Toolbar that appears at the top.

2. The HTML editor of your Text Widget opens. Highlight all code that is displayed in the editor and copy it. Make sure you highlight the complete code.

3. Go to any page, drag and drop a Text Widget onto it, and click into the new Text Widget.

4. The HTM editor will open up again. You will already find some code there. Highlight the complete code and choose "Paste" (right-click on your mouse). The code you found there will be replaced by the code you copied from the Text Widget with the links.

5. Click on OK in the bottom left corner to save your changes.

6. Check your links in Preview.

If this workaround doesn't work either on your end, please let us know.

Copying the source code of a Text WIdget is usually safer than copying from the text in the Text Widget directly, and you can use it for any Text Widgets that you want to duplicate. It also works when you have e.g. pictures added to your Text Widget, or any other elements.
Photo of Tasha Erickson

Tasha Erickson

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you Stefan, you understood the problem perfectly. Your html solution worked, which I suspected it would before I posted the problem. It's just one extra step compared to how I could do it before, and that's slightly annoying. Oh well. Thanks for your help.