Crawl error in Webmaster tools showin 404 error on deleted pages in Yola?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Within Google Webmaster Tools within the Crawl Errors - I am getting a 404 response for pages within Yola that I have deleted a long time ago and are no longer there. Why would they still be showing up in the crawl as should not the XML sitemap not get regenerated each time you publish your site.

I have resubmitted the XML each time I made a bunch of changes to the site on Google Webmaster Tools.

Has anyone else seen this?
Photo of Karen

• 100 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Crystal

Crystal, Champion

• 250 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
Hello Karen,

The 404 errors are still happening because one or more search engines still have the pages you removed listed in their index. Here is a link to a Google Webmaster Support site with instructions on how to remove a page or site:

You could create pages with the page names you deleted that have a statement saying, "this page has been removed, please click here to go to ... " This would prevent users from getting the regular 404 page.

Otherwise, it will just take time waiting for various search engines to re-index you site and redo their database. Some search engines may take months to do this.
Photo of Will

• 252 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I've been waiting almost 10 months for Google to delete ghost pages from webmaster tools URL errors. I've still got over 1500 errors that seem impossible to delete.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Will

I've responded to your question on your other post.