Creating drop boxes or buy a premium?

• Question
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Answered
I want to change my site so the buttons for each page turn into drop down boxes. Is there a way to do this or is there a premium that I can buy that does it already?
Photo of Fr

Fr

• 24 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • unsure

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Nazlie

Nazlie

• 1721 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Fr

It is possible to create dropdown boxes for your site navigation.

What you will need to do, is to create all your pages as sub-pages. We have an online tutorial here : Tutorial: creating sub-pages. Your sub-pages will not show up in the navigation.

To create your own menu, using drop-down buttons, you can add drop-down boxes for your pages.

You could make use of an HTML generator to create the code for your drop-down boxes.

Here is one that will do it for you: Create a dropdown menu. This website gives you a form to fill in, which you will add to each of your pages. You will have to include the text you want to add for your links.

To get the URL of your Yola page the easiest thing to do is:

1) Create all your pages and publish your site.
2) Then go to your published site and copy the URL from your browser window for each page.
3) Then go back to your site and take the pages out of the navigation (create the subpages)

Then fill out your form on the htmlbasix site and generated your HTML code. Copy the generated code into your site. Here are the steps:

1) Drag and drop an HTML Widget onto your page where you want your menu to show up. You'll find it in the Widgets Sidebar, under "Basics".
2) Paste the code from htmlbasix into the HTML Editor and then click "Save".
3) Save your site.

You will then have your own drop-down menu on your page.

Please note that you will have to do this to each webpage you create. If you delete, add or rename any pages, you will have to edit each of your pages accordingly.

We have teamed up with HP Logoworks, who can create your website, as they are professional web designers. If you would like to take advantage of our
Yola Premier service, you can read more about it on our website.

I hope you find this information useful. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

You can also contact us on support@yola.com.

Good luck with building your site!

Nazlie
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hey Nazlie, I think you forgot to close the A tag or something and made almost the whole reply a link! :)
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
You can make a drop down menu here: http://purecssmenu.com/ It is a generator and you can make sub-sub pages too where more pages come out of the drop down menu! Here are the steps:

1. First, click "Edit Navigation"

2. Then, move all of your pages out of the navigation (Drag the pages into the other box that says "Pages out of the navigation" or similar.

3. Now, you need to register before you create your menu so you can save it and get the codes.

4. After you have done that, go to http://purecssmenu.com/ and login and then create your menu. You can also watch the video tutorial on how to use the generator here: Video Tutorial on the Pure CSS Menu Creator.

4. Then, when you are done, save it and get the code.

5. Go to Yola site builder and drag and drop an HTML widget at the very top of the page before all of the other content.

6. Then, paste the code from Pure CSS Menu into that and click "Save"

7. Save and then preview the page.

8. If you like it, then you have successfully created a drop down menu!

- Now just add code to all of your pages

- Also, if it isn't centered, drag and drop a column divider below the HTML widget and then drag the HTML widget into the right side of the column divider and drag the little bar in the middle of the column divider until it's centered

I hope this helps.

Center
Photo of AmyP

AmyP

• 30 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I like this option, but I'm having a hard time getting the arrows and things to come up on it. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi, AmyP.

What do you mean when you say that you can't get the arrows to come up? Do you mean on the purecssmenu maker? If it's to do with that, you may just want to contact that company and maybe they'll have answers for you. I haven't used it yet. But, I did look at it. Can you describe your problem a little more? Thanks!
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Thanks Nathan for stepping in to help Amy!
Photo of AmyP

AmyP

• 30 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply. I figured it out. Silly me just needed to upload the images:)

http://www.erniesilvaphotography.com
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
I am glad you got it fixed! :) Cool website by the way! Was that website created with Yola? If it was great work with the HTML and stuff! :)
Photo of AmyP

AmyP

• 30 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes it was. Yola is the best!!! I made it for my brother-inlaw. Thanks for the nice comment.