Custom CSS

• Idea
  • Updated 9 years ago
I've just read in other topics that there is no support at all for custom CSS in SynthaSite. The post says its a big technical challenge. But can you not add a extra CSS file linked in that we can add our own override CSS to? it doesn't need to allow editing of the original CSS. Isn't this one of things CSS was designed for. This one feature would make SyntaSite massivley more powerful for those that know some CSS.

Sadly this is a killer for me as I can't build the site I want and I only need to add about 10 lines of CSS! In most other respects SynthaSite is the best online builder I've tried.
Photo of markpitchless

markpitchless

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of some kool guyz

some kool guyz

• 57 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
hmm im confused to.
Photo of Trevor

Trevor

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would love a feature like this too :(
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello,

Thanks for letting us know this is something you would like to see from Yola! Our team is dedicated to providing the best site builder possible and will take this into consideration for the future.

In the meantime, I hope you will be able to make the site builder work for you, we are always here to help!

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of Connor McCarra

Connor McCarra, Champion

• 944 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Drop a html widget in an paste the css, there is code you have to put in first(can't remember it) but I was able to overide the original css, not that I wanted to just wanted to see if it was possible.
Photo of Felix Duong

Felix Duong

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
what was the code?
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hey all,
Be really careful with stuff like this as messing with the CSS could break your page and we wouldn't want to see that! As always when you add any type of code to your page make sure to test it on a test site first.

Emmy
Photo of Conor Higgins

Conor Higgins

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
follow drupal's example with their zen theme which allows you to add your own css.. it is a very simple theme with some basic css in it which is then easily customizable...
Photo of Laura

Laura

• 148 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I agree they should give more choices for the templates but in many questions Emmy has responded "We will get more choices/selections for the yola sites" :)
Photo of Margie

Margie

• 286 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Upgrade to Yola Pro and you can upload your own css files. They just have to work with the Yola css already in place.
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
What does it mean that messing with the CSS could "break" a page? Does that mean that the page could not be repaired?? The page would be lost forever? If it's the index.php page, the entire site would be "broken"?
Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Hi there Keara,
It can stop a page from loading in the Sitebuilder. Our engineers can sometimes fix it but if it is too badly corrupted then it can be lost and ys, if it is your index page then you will lost that page as your should be able to save over it in the sitebuilder. If you are going to experiment with CSS I would suggest creating a new site and testing it there first.
Photo of SilverX

SilverX

• 492 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I tried it, but won't work with the full css file.

I think everyone shouldn't try this. If there any confliction occured , you've to go out and throw your site away.

If you need to use more customized style , just put that in a html code. Do not use the whole file.
Photo of Margie

Margie

• 286 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
This is a work-around for not having access to yola's css file, markpitchless. I'm not sure if it's a recommended option, but it works for me.

Carefully, very carefully, follow these steps:

1) Download Yola's css file

2) Change the styles you wanted changed--font size, color, links, etc.

3) Delete any lines you don't change. You can skip this step, but doing it will help reduce page bloat/load time, as the styles are simply duplicates of yola's.

3) Name the changed file to "yourfilename.css" and save on your computer.

4) Upload your new css file to the file manager.

5) On each page of your site, in the first html box, reference the new css file.

Note: This css file will override Yola's because it's interpreted after Yola's. One this is done, you make any changes in your css file and it will affect each page of your site.

For me this works. If anyone sees a problem with this work-around, please comment.

Also heed Emmy's great advice posted above:
"Be really careful with stuff like this as messing with the CSS could break your page and we wouldn't want to see that! As always when you add any type of code to your page make sure to test it on a test site first."
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
How do you download Yola's CSS? I don't see where to download it.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
You could test the codes and the CSS on a "Test" site. Just create a blank site and name it "Test" then, just use a unique .yolasite.com domain and you can test everything! If something goes wrong, just delete the site and recreate it! :)

I hope this works!
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hey Margie and Nathan

You both gave excellent suggestions! Thanks!
Photo of Margie

Margie

• 286 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Nathan, sorry, "download" may have been the wrong word there. I use use firebug on firefox, where you can click on css and see the entire file, which I copied and saved to make my changes.
Photo of Seaview Flowers

Seaview Flowers

• 99 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
This sounds good......
Photo of Jean

Jean

• 134 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
An update to Margie's post above:

On the style I'm using (and maybe others as well) Yola's css is no longer in a separate file. Now if you "view source" of your index page, it will show Yola's css line by line embedded in the head section, just after the metatags.

The section you want begins with this line: [code][/code].

Follow Step 2 through 5 in Margie's post using the codes from that section.

PS Margie is my former name here in the forum.
Photo of Adil Khan

Adil Khan

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You Can Also My Topic On Yola Change Your Website's Look Using CSS

And Get Some Idea

Here Is The Sample Website
Photo of Adil Khan

Adil Khan

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You Can Also My Topic On Yola Change Your Website's Look Using CSS

And Get Some Idea

Here Is The Sample Website.

Hope i Helped!
Photo of Adil Khan

Adil Khan

• 61 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This Is The Real One Look For This
Photo of WIndy Gamer

WIndy Gamer

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
There are several things I'd like to do that would be easy or solved by being able to edit the CSS of the theme:
1 - add horizontal spacing around images inserted in pages or the blog. So when you align left or right the text does not run up against the images.
2 - link colors don't match the theme. Dark Blue looks terrible against a black or dark gray background, for example.
3 - allow styles for Quoted paragraphs, and "Code" or Preformatted text that will match the theme.
4 - change the size of the header image of a theme.
5 - change the background image of a theme. For the entire page.
6 - change the font size of the menu of the theme.

Lots of places could benefit from being able to change the theme CSS. Perhaps only in standard ways and not with free reign.
Thanks for listening,
Windy
Photo of Brianna

Brianna

• 2045 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Hello,

Thank you for your comment on having more CSS flexibility. While we do not offer this at the moment, there are many workarounds that you may find helpful.
1. This is possible; but it is not as simple as the feature in the Text Widget which allows you to wrap text around images. To wrap text around an image in the blog editor, it will take creating a table in the blog post. Here is how you would do it once you are in the body of the post:

a. Insert your picture using the Insert Picture icon on the Edit Toolbar.
b. Click on the "HTML" icon which will put you in HTML edit mode.
c. Than you can use this table code to get started:

This is the text that I want to go next to my image called image-name.jpg

Put your image name (the image needs to be in the File Manager) in the area above that says "image-name.jpg", and then you can put your text in place of "This is the text that I want to go next to my image called image-name.jpg".

This is a functionality we hope to add in the future, for the time being I hope you will be able to use this option.

2. You can definitely change the color of links on your site: Changing Link Colors
3. Please elaborate what you mean by quoted paragraphs.
4. The header image size is automatically set with the styles. There is not a workaround for re-sizing this.
5. At this moment we do allow many of our style backgrounds to be changed to different colors.
6. To create your own navigation instead of using the default navigation provided by the style you've chosen, you can use this workaround:

a. You can take your pages out of your navigation (click on the "Edit Navigation" button and drag the pages from "Pages in the Navigation" to "Pages out of the Navigation" - this will hide your default navigation).
b. Create your own page text links in a Text Widget and place them where you'd like this new navigation menu to show up. This can be done by adding text, highlighting it and clicking on the link button on the text toolbar and linking to the specific page on your site. You can then edit the text links using the text toolbar to appear the way you would like.

If you want to make your own buttons for a custom navigation, you will need to create the button, and then link it to the specific page on your site.

I hope you find these workarounds suitable for the time being. We are always open to our customers ideas and will definitely take your ideas into consideration.

Cheers!
Photo of Vinny Lingham

Vinny Lingham

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi All

I am pleased to announce that we will be offering CSS overrides in January and it will become an upgrade option in the Silver package. More info to be released soon.

Thanks
Vinny Lingham
CEO, Yola
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Cool! Does that mean we will have to pay for it? Thanks! :)
Photo of Vinny Lingham

Vinny Lingham

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yes, it will be available only for Silver package subscribers
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Thanks Vinny, I currently have Yola Silver, so I will get this feature?

Thanks,
Nathan
Photo of Alek Davis

Alek Davis

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Dang, I was looking for a reason to switch back to free Yola from free Weebly, so all these rumors about upcoming custom CSS support got me excited, but apparently I'll keep waiting.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi Alek, in January 2011, Yola will have custom CSS (if you did not know that) on Yola Silver accounts!

-Nathan
Photo of Alek Davis

Alek Davis

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I got it: it will be available for $49.95/year. I'm just saying that since it's already available now for free on Weebly, this is not a reason for me to switch back. I agree that for people who have paid accounts, it's a good news.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Yeah, I like Yola the best though. They have super great support and stuff. I used Weebly before and I like Yola overall of the 10 builders I tried. Yola Silver also has much other stuff on it too. Like in January 2010 you can have a unlimited number of styles on a Silver account and more. Here is the URL of the email I got from Yola: http://links.mkt41.net/servlet/MailVi... Maybe someday they will offer it for free (I hope they will) so the Free users can do this too.

Sincerely,
Nathan
Photo of Alek Davis

Alek Davis

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I agree: Yola's support is best (Weebly has no support to talk of), but for free accounts, Weebly has (a) marginally better templates, (b) support for custom domains, and (c) custom CSS. Even with the $50 Yola's Silver Plan (soon to be $100), minus $15/year domain registration (I assume Silver Plan covers domain name registration fee), it's a $35 (or $85 to be soon) out of pocket expense, which does not buy much for users just considering their first web site, like small business owners, who want a simple 1-5 page site with contact info and brief description.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi, Yola has support for custom domains on Free Plan too. If you want to add a custom domain you own already (or purchased from Godaddy, etc.) you can set it up with Yola on any type of Yola Account! If you need help setting up a custom domain let me know. Also if you purchase Yola Silver now, you wont have to pay $100, you'll only have to pay $50. But this ends on December 31st 2010 and then it goes to $100/yr.

-Nathan
Photo of Alek Davis

Alek Davis

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hmm, if you are correct about custom domain names, then Yola's pricing page (http://www.yola.com/pricing) is confusing: there is no check in the Yola Free column against the Custom Domain option and the description implies that custom domains are only supported in paid accounts. The Silver Plan fee is annual, right? So, I assume the $50 fee is just for one year so when you need to renew, it'll jump to $100 (at least, I did not notice any hints that $50 is guaranteed for the life time of the account). I may be wrong here, though.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi, the Yola Free doesn't include a domain registration for free, but you can still buy a domain from Yola or you can use your domain from another registrar. I'm sorry that the pricing page is confusing. But you can still add one when you publish your site, you just wont get one for free. (Unless you use a .tk domain or a free domain name from some where else) Also in the email it said existing yola silver users wont have to pay $100/yr. Regarding the Yola Silver, yes, it is $50/yr so your account can be maintained.

I hope this information helps.

If you are still confused or have another question please don't hesitate to ask, I will answer or somebody else will.

-Nathan