Discriminatory requirements for .ca domain registration

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
Why is my voip not valid as proof of residency for a .ca domain registration? It is registered to my canadian address for 911. Why is my ip address not acceptable? My ISP is one of the Canadian sponsors and they have my billing address. I do not have a credit card.
Photo of skyeyesat

skyeyesat

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Perturbed

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hi skyeyesat,

I would look at buying a Virtual Credit card. These are available in Can and are a good solution for people who don't have or want a Credit Card account. They are well co-branded, often available through bank outlets.

There is a lot of information on the web regarding these.
Photo of skyeyesat

skyeyesat

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for trying,however as they only need a credit card for a billing address in order to confirm Canadian residence which they claim is required to register a .ca domain name which I thought I made clear in my question. Sorry if I was not clear enough.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Yes I understand. What I was suggesting was a soft and easy option rather than for a system to accommodate a change :)
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi skyeyesat

We require a valid cell phone or landline number for SMS validation. We do not use IP addresses as these can be easily spoofed. Gop has given you a useful workaround as credit card validation is also available if SMS validation does not work for you.
Photo of skyeyesat

skyeyesat

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
An address on a prepaid credit card can be easily falsified as there is no billing address because there is no bill,so I have serious misgivings about it to be acceptable as proof of residence.But as you claim to be a representative of the company I will give it a shot.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Credit cards posses Address Verification Security (AVS) which is why we use them to verify residency. Some prepaid cards allow you to register your address in order to make them suitable for companies that require AVS, tough not all do, so be sure to verify that feature is present on any prepaid card you select.

We are aware that there is no perfect address verification method as they can all be manipulated, but one or the other of these methods are required in order to participate in the Get Your Business Online program. We hope one will be suitable for you if you are interested in participating in the program.
Photo of skyeyesat

skyeyesat

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
As the fees for these cards are somewhat exorbitant it would no longer be free.(free as in constant barrage of spam included) Also as I mentioned that my ISP is one of the Canadian sponsors, my account number would an accurate source of a billing address.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
We appreciate your feedback and concerns but we are not set up to accept alternate forms of address verification at this time. If you are unable or unwilling to sign up using the methods we provide you will not be able to take part in the program. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you.