Document Formating?

• Question
  • Updated 10 years ago
  • Answered
I need to put a document from office 2007 on my site. How do I do that? i copy and paste but it changes the format. Please help.
Photo of Vincent

Vincent

• 27 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • sad

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of Dré

Dré

• 201 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi,

I need to advise you that when you copy and paste rich text directly from MS Word (or another word processor) onto your site, this brings along a whole lot of unwanted formatting that is not web friendly and can easily break your page. It can also cause your site to show up inconsistently in different browsers. The problem might not always show up immediately, but sometimes it happens after you save and navigate to a different page or log out and log in again.

To avoid display and loading issues, the best alternative is first to paste your text into NotePad (in the accessories folder of your computer) and then paste it as plain text onto your Yola page. You can then use the Yola text editor to format your text as desired.
***Please note that this would be the case with any browser-based text editor you might use, not just Yola. It is a universal website building problem.***

It's also always a good idea to keep a copy of your text in a .txt file from Notepad so that you have a backup copy kept on your PC.

The solution in this case - you can delete the page or delete the existing text and then re-add it to your page following the steps above.

You can also use this Text Editor to format and spell check your text and strip out MS Word code. It will generate valid markup which you can safely paste into the Yola site builder.

If this doesn't solve the problem, please let me know.
Photo of Vincent

Vincent

• 27 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you. However, I tried this before and it didn't work. I had a rep named Paul, help me before, but I guess his account is deleted.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Vincent

I'm sorry to hear that you're frustrated. I can understand where you are coming from. Hopefully we can find a workaround that would work for you.

When you say "it didn't work" - can you please clarify this further? You will need to use the text toolbar to format your text as you'd like.

The other alternative is to upload your document as a file and have people download it to their computer to view. If this is something that you maybe interested in, then please follow these steps:

1. Drag and drop a file widget onto your page from the sidebar on the right (the icon for this looks like a computer disk).
2. A dialog box will open and you can choose to browse your computer for the file you want to upload or choose an already uploaded image.
3. When you click "OK" a link to your file will automatically be created. To test that it is working, save and preview your page.

People will then be able to click on your link and download your MS Word file, PDF, PowerPoint presentation, spreadsheet or whatever file you have uploaded.

Another option is to use slideshare.net to embed your document onto your site. This will then retain your formatting. You can sign up for a free account and then follow the steps to upload your document. Then, copy the embed code and paste back into an HTML widget on your site.

I hope you will be able to use one of these suggestions. Please let us know if further clarification is needed.
Photo of Vincent

Vincent

• 27 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When I tried to put the information into the notepad, it took everything away. I posted it into html with yola and just pasted the information in small black text. I really would like to have it to where they don't have to download anything
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
The purpose of pasting your text into Notepad is to strip away the inherent formatting Word brings. If you do not do this process, then you will find that Word will end up breaking your site and a lot of your hard work has gone down the drain.

Instead, after you have copied the text from Notepad and pasted into your text widget, then you can use the text widget toolbar to format your text.
Photo of Vincent

Vincent

• 27 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What I'm saying is why paste stuff into notepad if I am just going to copy anyway and lose my pictures, fonts, and colors. My techs have been working on it, but we are closed for the holiday. I wanted to get this finished.
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Vincent

I understand that what you would like to do is copy and paste an MS Word document from your computer onto your website and have all your formatting (pictures, fonts, and colors) carried over onto your webpage exactly as they are in the document.

What Dré and Sanja have been trying to explain to you is that you cannot do this when building a website, as it simply does not work this way. This is the case with Yola or any other online text editor that you may use. MS Word contains a whole lot of code that is not web friendly, so if you copy and paste directly you will either have display problems with your website or it will fail to load completely. By pasting into Notepad you can take all the bad code out and then safely paste the plain text only onto your site. It is true that when you do this you will lose your colors and fonts, but you can format your text inside Yola using our text editor. You can also use the Yola file manager to insert your pictures.

To see this in action, see our video tutorial on adding text: http://www.yola.tv/adding-text.php

And our video tutorial on adding pictures: http://www.yola.tv/adding-pictures.php

I hope that you can use this information to get your site built. If you have any questions about using the Yola text editor and file manager to create your page within our site builder, please let us know.
Photo of Vincent

Vincent

• 27 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Do you perhaps still have that employee Paul? I emailed him my document once and he turned into an html and it had all my formating.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Sorry Vincent, we never had anyone by the name of Paul working for our company.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Here is a link to a workaround you can try: http://forum.yola.com/yola/topics/pas...
Photo of Vincent

Vincent

• 27 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My tech. team got it thanks a bunch. now i just need help making sure the pictures don't change the format. I inserted the pictures but my format got messed up.

Example:

TEXTAFHAFDHDFAJDAFJADJADJADJADJADJDJ

Picture hshgkjashgjkashgkjashgkjashgkjhagjkashgkahgka

When I put the picture the text moves around. please help
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Perhaps what you can do is use the text-wrap function.

You can place an image and text side by side as follows:

1. Add a text widget to your page.
2. Click "insert image" on the text editing toolbar (the icon that looks like a green tree in a picture frame, roughly in the middle of the toolbar)
3. The file manager will open up and allow you to browse for and select an image
4. Once you have added your image select it by clicking on it.
5. You will then see three new icons, a picture with text below (No Wrap), text on the right (Wrap Left) and text on the left (Wrap Right).
6. Select the option that suits you and start typing. Your text will then wrap around the image.
Photo of Vincent

Vincent

• 27 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you to all of you for your help as I am truly grateful. My tech. team is off for the holidays, so I had to figure it for myself. Without you, it would be impossible.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
You're very welcome Vincent. If you are in need of further assistance, please do make use of this great forum or email us at support@yola.com.