Download Codes

• Question
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Answered
Hey guys, I was wondering if it's possible to incorporate this WP plugin as an HTML widget or if there is perhaps an alternative:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/d...

I am setting up a music blog that showcases some of our releases and I wanted to have some kind of download code generator that would be nifty in making certain downloads exclusive.

Please let me know, thanks for your time.
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hello John,

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that would work with Yola, as it is a plugin created for WordPress.

I'm sure there's an alternative that will give you an HTML code to put on your Yola site. But could you explain a little bit more about what you want? I'm not sure that I understand completely what you want.

Sincerely,
Nathan
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey Nathan, thanks for replying. I'm developing a music blog/site where each page has a release and there will be a list of tracks where people can sample the music.

I'd like a little HTML box underneath the list of tracks where a person can type in a download code and receive the download links for each track. It's kind of like on some forums/message boards where someone registers a username and password and enables the "private" link when logged in but in this case, they type in a download code and the download links appear.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Ah, I see. I might be able to write a code for you that will do this.

Do you want the code to be different for every person? And do you want it to send any emails or anything or just display the download link on the page?

Thanks,
Nathan
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nathan, that would be incredible if you could write a code, that's super nice.
I want to be able to generate an unlimited amount of codes per release and each code can only be used once per person. Emails would be interesting as well, sort of like a confirmation email that they enabled their download code.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Okay, I'll see what I can do. :)

The only problem is that Yola doesn't support PHP, so I will need to host it on a separate site and give you an iframe code that will allow you to have the whole thing on your site, and it wont look like it's hosted on another site.

I don't know how long that it will take to make it, but I'll work on it. I'll let you know when I'm close to being finished. I'm thinking sometime next week. (I wont be available this Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, as I'm going on a vacation.)

Kind regards,
Nathan
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you Nathan, is there a way I can reach you in private message or another form to stay in contact just in case? Please enjoy your vacation, thank you for helping me with this.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
You're welcome, John. You can email support@weebuild.biz and I'll give you my personal email address from there.

Nathan
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nathan, just checking in... let me know when your back from vacation, really needed help with the download code plugin... thank you Nathan.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi John,

I just got back. I'm going to start on it now.

Can you confirm that these are the features you want:

- When you have something new to download, you want to generate a unique code for each user to enter in a text box and then it displays the download link and gets disabled (so no one else can use that code)

- Send an email to the user listing the links that you displayed on the page (or put whatever else you want on there)

If you want anything else on it, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Nathan
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey Nathan, hope you had a great vacation! I have about 10 pages of various releases, I'd like to allow the consumer to type in a download code in a box underneath each release that will enable and display the "download" links next to each track after their download code is confirmed, I'd like for the same codes to work for each release.

I'm gonna think of some more things but that's pretty much the basic.

Thank you Nathan.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
@ Nathan - Thanks for your time and awesome help on this!
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
@Sanja, he's a really cool dude for helping with this.

@Nathan, email is not necessary, if it's too much work.

When a person types in a code, the links can appear next to each track, when they exit the page, the code expires...
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
@Sanja: No problem! :)

@John: Thanks John! :) I'll create a JavaScript code for you so we wont have to deal with any iframes (those can be annoying sometimes) Also, how much codes do you think that you will need? I can have them set up for as much as you need (they'll all be 100% random) but I just need a number. Maybe 100 or 500 or something like that? Also are the links in HTML form or are they in a text widget?

Thanks,
Nathan
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nathan, just checking in... how are things going? The download links are in HTML format... Is there a way to generate codes on an as needed basis?
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hey John,

Lately, I've been very busy. I haven't been helping as much as I usually do. Sorry for this delay! The PHP script is going to be a little more work than I thought, but I can get it done. I will probably make a little page for you to go to and you can just click "Generate a code" and it will show a code for you to give to someone.

Kind regards,
Nathan
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No problem Nathan, thank you for all of this.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
By the way, how much characters do you want in each generated code? And, do you want numbers, letters, or both?

Nathan
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Numbers will be good... about 8 characters.
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nathan, how are things going... do you need anymore information for the download codes plugin?
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
It's going good right now, I am creating the MySQL database for the codes and stuff. But for this to work, the download links will have to be on the page with the form because of the PHP. (Unfortunately, PHP isn't supported on Yola) I might be able to make some JavaScript function through an iframe though.

Kind regards,
Nathan
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sounds good, I can just load the MP3 files into one RAR file and make it as one link, perhaps that would be easier. So when consumer types download code into the box, a link then appears in the same box for the entire album.

Would this be better?
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Yeah, that would certainly be easier :) I will have a little page for you to go to, and all you have to do is click on "Generate Code" and it will show a little code on the page. Then you can just copy it and give it to someone, and once they type it in and click Submit, it will show the link to the RAR file.
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nate, how are things going? Were you able to make the plugin?
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi John,

It's going great! :) PHP is a little harder, though, as I'm a PHP beginner. I'm sorry for the wait.

Also, could you let me know what browser you are using? I suggest Google Chrome, Safari, or Mozilla Firefox for this, as it wont look that good Internet Explorer, except Internet Explorer 9.

Kind regards,
Nathan
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nathan, sounds good. I am using Firefox.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Okay, great! Firefox will render the site correctly.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
The generating part doesn't work yet, but I do have the actual page done and I am working on the MySQL database now. You can see it by clicking here.
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wow, that's amazing Nathan.... looks good!
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Thanks, John! I should have it done in less than a day.
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you Nathan, let me know so we can test it out.
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nathan, just checking in... how are things going?
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
I got it to generate the code and add it to the database now: http://weebuild.heliohost.org/JohnTho... (just click the blue button)

How much links do you have for each RAR file?

I still have to make the input now for the user to input the code. I thought that I would be done in less than a day, but, I'm not, unfortunately.

Kind regards,
Nathan
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nathan, thanks a lot. I have only one link for each RAR file, one link per album.
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nathan, is it possible to generate a bulk list? For example, when I click the generate code button, is it possible that a big list of codes shows up or I'm able to download a text file of bulk codes...
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
I wont be able to make a text file for you to download but I might be able to make the bulk list. Also to copy a code all you will have to do is press on a "copy" button and it'll be copied to your clipboard.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
John,

Could you email all of the links that you want to have the code on to
support [at] weebuild.biz so you don't have to post them all here? Thanks.
Photo of Yamma

Yamma

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nathan, sent you an email with the links.
Photo of Shawn Holman

Shawn Holman

• 486 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Nathan,

Thanks very much for helping John out!
Keep up the great work.

Best Regards,
Shawn