email functionality with your website

• Question
  • Updated 10 years ago
  • Answered
I want to send and receive emails using my url address. I understand that yola does not come with email functionality but you can somehow get it if you buy your own domain name. If I buy my own domain name from a company other than yola do I automatically have email functionality or does that need to be part of the package I purchase when I buy my domain name? I am quite confused regarding the connection between email functionality and domain names? Can anyone enlighten this non - techie so that I purchase the domain name with the right add-ons at the right cost. Also, is it easy to set up the email functionality when I publish my site... or do I do that thru the company I am buying the domain name from? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Photo of Happy Go Lucky

Happy Go Lucky

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Happy Go Lucky,

We will definitely be able to assist you with setting up your email address if you purchase a domain from Yola.

If you choose to buy your domain from another domain registrar, they would be able to help you create your email addresses.

Setting up email addresses involves MX Records on your domain and it's probably a different process depending on which domain registrar you want to use.

I hope that helps, let us know if you need any other details.
Photo of Happy Go Lucky

Happy Go Lucky

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If there is anyone that can add more info that would be appreciated. Thanks
Photo of Kershnee

Kershnee

• 2087 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Hi Happy Go Lucky,

Can you please tell us what additional info you require. Does Marije's reply not answer your questions?
Photo of Happy Go Lucky

Happy Go Lucky

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If I buy my own domain name from a company other than yola do I automatically have email functionality or does that need to be part of the package I purchase when I buy my domain name? i.e. do you buy the domain name separately from the email function or are they bundled... or does it depend who you buy it from? Is the email function easy and fast to set up?
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
That really does depend on who you buy your domain from and what package that company offers. I can't answer for the various registrars on the web, but I can answer for Yola.

If you buy a domain name from us you can easily set up email associated with your domain. For more information, see http://tinyurl.com/p4hyub

If you decide to pursue this option and you face any difficulties, just post your questions here and we will assist you.

If you decide to buy your domain elsewhere, you will need to do some research on the various companies you are considering in order to answer the questions you posed above.

I hope this helps you to make an informed decision about the best option for your site.
Photo of Happy Go Lucky

Happy Go Lucky

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Monique and Connor
Photo of Happy Go Lucky

Happy Go Lucky

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Monique... if I am purchasing my domain name and it asks for the following, I assume this is the info required to point the domain name to yola. it says......

You can immediately delegate this registration to your own name servers. If you are unsure about what information to enter here please contact your ISP or Web Hosting company.

Master Name Server: IP Address:
Slave Name Server: IP Address:

Can you tell me what I need to put in here as the Master Server Name and the Slave Name Server name. Would I be correct that for both of them I would add 208.75.208.172 as the IP address.
Thanks for your assistance.
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi there - Yola does not have name servers that you can use. To point your domain to Yola, you'll need to setup an A Record as per these steps: http://www.yola.com/customer-support/.... Feel free to let us know which domain registrar you are using and I'll try to look for more information on their support pages.
Photo of Connor McCarra

Connor McCarra, Champion

• 944 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Hello Happy Go Lucky,

I think Google offer a email service like this. Check them out and see if it is what you are looking for.

www.google.com/apps
Photo of Happy Go Lucky

Happy Go Lucky

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Marije ... I think I've sorted it out correctly now.... tested ok. Just waiting for publication of my site now.