Feature Request!!!

• Idea
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Yola should autosave a page to a "draft" folder being worked on every ten minutes for emergency purposes. I just lost two hours of work because I forgot to save the page and my browser stopped responding.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
  • http://youcanneverbetoosmart.com

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of Jenny Stefanotti

Jenny Stefanotti

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
please please please. i've lost many blog post because of this -- esp when one is half written and then when i return to it the next day, spend time finalizing it, then click to finish it and it's gone .... because yola has logged me out. it's really infuriating.
Photo of Michelle Crabbe

Michelle Crabbe

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It's a great idea. However, you could also create your work in notepad and have it saved on your computer, So that any editing you require can be done prior to posting. I generally use the copy and paste options because not all browsers are stable and if for any reason (lord forbid) yola goes down and certain things are lost on their server, you could lose everything anyway. So all is best when backing up your stuff on your own system.
Photo of Jenny Stefanotti

Jenny Stefanotti

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
right. and when i spent the summer working in liberia i wrote all of my emails in word for that reason. it's still a clunky solution, and most users are accustomed to being able to write an email and have the draft saved. should be a standard and obvious feature for any good blog product IMO.
Photo of roseorion

roseorion

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
But then again, what if you don't want it on your computer...?
Photo of Stephanie

Stephanie

• 67 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Autosave has been on our product backlog for a while, and is definitely something we would like to do in the future. It's, as always, just a matter of prioritizing that against other features we want to build to improve the sitebuilder, but all of the feedback like this is very helpful for doing that.

Thanks!!
Photo of roseorion

roseorion

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That would be GREAT! Then you could just keep working and working and if something happened, you wouldn't have to worry!
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Yeah I agree. Hopefully it's added soon.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate hearing that this is a feature you'd still like to see!
Photo of scotman1410

scotman1410

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Love the idea im not much of a stranger to this my self, building on this idea it would be nice if you could add a side on feature of this a "recycle bin" just like in windows it would be nice if you could be able to go into a recycle bin and pull out a site if "like me" you've clicked on delete site and not delete page (big difference i know) but when youve been working on a site for much longer then you really should in one go then you start to get a little dozzy lol. once again great idea!
Photo of Brandon

Brandon

• 243 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Fortunately Yola has now made it very difficult to delete your whole site by accident. You have to type in that you want to delete it first. :)
Photo of scotman1410

scotman1410

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yup but i thought that it ment to delete the page lol as i said too many hours sitting at a computer screen dose thins to your mind that no one wants. in my case it was PUT YOUR GLASSES ON! LOL
Photo of Eyes Half Closed

Eyes Half Closed

• 62 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
SOLUTION:

For Firefox users there is a way to stop losing all your work due to errors / frozen web browser. Head to the link below and install the 'Lazarus' add-on.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fire...

Once installed it will auto-save as you type, and if you loose all your work for some reason, just go back into the same page / widget, right click in the text box and select 'Recover Form', and all your work will be back.

Hope this helps :)
Photo of Shawn Holman

Shawn Holman

• 486 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Eyes Half Closed,

Cool! But not everyone has Firefox. So there is a Google Chrome version!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/de...

There, I will get this right now!

Best Regards,
Shawn
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Wow guys,

Thanks so much for this tip!
Photo of Sarah W

Sarah W

• 27 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
oooh please please do add an autosave feature! That's good that the other browsers can sort it but i like to use IE even though everyone else hates it it's just what I'm used to! I have found myself wishing for autosave a good few times on Yola, my internet connection is not so fast, especially at peak times my open, half edited site always freezes :(
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Thanks Sarah W for adding your two cents worth on this topic. We appreciate it.
Photo of Shawn Holman

Shawn Holman

• 486 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Hello everyone. This is a great feature. But as a experienced developer, I know it wont be too easy to add.

First of all, yola will need a Database, which is the easy part, and then get the information you typed every couple of seconds. I could develop a autosave with just Javascript. But it would run on Cookies. And it could not be implemented into Yola.

But it could be an example to yola
Photo of Shawn Holman

Shawn Holman

• 486 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Yola, here is a little example I made with Javascript.

Its just an example of how it would work:

http://jsfiddle.net/PGCfG/show/

Enjoy,
Shawn Holman
Photo of Shawn Holman

Shawn Holman

• 486 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
It does autosave. But I just have that button there. If you click on the textarea and wait 10 seconds it will autosave.
Photo of Sarah W

Sarah W

• 27 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
wow lol!
Photo of Candice Fullerton

Candice Fullerton

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would love to have more option controls in mobile publishing (I know it is still in beta mode..). My site has a very busy background, taken care of with your new box placement ideas. It looks amazing, I have customers always telling me that they LOVE my site. I want to post a mobile site, but I cannot, because all you see is my busy background and little tiny black font. It becomes lost and you can hardly read it. I guess what I am trying to say is that I would love to be able to have a 'remove background image' button.

Also, app creating and hosting would be awesome as well.. just throwing it out there ;)
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Candice

I would like to look at your site. Could you please provide your URL? Thanks.
Photo of Candice Fullerton

Candice Fullerton

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Oh right, I tried to track your Yola account by this URL, but I made a typo ...

Ok, so I had a look at your mobile version, and I can see what you mean. This is actually something that I will bring to the attention of our designers. I was surprised to see that I couldn't change at least the colour of your font. Although it is set to white, the font is still black. And it seems we could need a "disable background image" feature or something like that.

I'm sorry that it's right now not possible to change this, Candice, but I will definitely follow up with the font colour problem. I hope we will also be able to improve this feature in future. Will keep you updated!
Photo of Flights Traveloworld

Flights Traveloworld

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Just restart your system. After this everything will be ok.
Photo of bobluch

bobluch

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yola account by this URL, but I made a typo ...

JS Brandt

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Would love this feature as well.
Photo of Laura

Laura

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes I need this as well. I just lost 1 hour of blogging and now I have to start all over again.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
I'm so sorry to hear that Laura. it's happened to me on many occasion as well in many different web applications, including WordPress and others and it is devastating!

We do not currently have plans to implement this but I do have some other suggestions. I have taken to composing my blog posts in TextEdit or any other plain text editor and then copying in the plain text to my blog. It's very important that you don't copy rich text (such as text copied from Microsoft Word) into your blog as the formatting can break your page and keep your website or Sitebuilder from loading.

Alternately, if you are a Firefox user, you might want to download Textarea Cache, a browser add on that allows you to recover lost text from your cache. "This extension will save automatically the content in textarea or WYSIWYG editor when user is typing. User can recover the saved texts in the cache window, even the tab or the window is closed unexpectedly."

I hope this helps and one of these solutions meets your needs!