• 75 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi James

The reason why you cannot create your own folders is because your site isn't running on a separate machine. So, really, your site's (everybody's actually) URL looks like this:

very-long-url-that-NO-body-will-ever-see.com/yolastuff/yoursite.com/

But, somehow they set it up so no body will ever see this. They have the domain all set up and it looks very nice. I guess everybody's site is on that url but then they set it up so you on;y get those last 2 directories (yoursite.com/) So, that is why we don't get a root directory access because there isn't a root for our websites. It looks like it but there's not. And thats why we can't have .htaccess Maybe they'll create something where we can create a folder, but, for right now you can only create folders in the resources/ folder.

I hope this helps!

Nathan
Photo of Jonathan Hitchcock

Jonathan Hitchcock

• 37 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi James,

We try to make our SiteBuilder as user-friendly as possible, and accessible as possible, and currently the way we do that involves our users adding pages with titles, which get automatically translated into URLs.

This automatic translation means that we don't really create a complex directory structure, although this could be a feature in future releases. For now, we just create pages in the way which is simplest and most understandable for most of our users. This shouldn't negatively impact your site in any way, since there is no SEO or navigational downside, and I hope it is sufficient for you until such a time as we can consider adding a subfolder feature.

Nathan: I'm not really sure where you're getting your information from, but I feel that I should correct it, as it is not accurate. There is no such long URL: we use virtual hosts to serve everybody's sites, and each virutal host does have a root folder, which its files are served from.

I hope this helps you both.

Sincerely,
-Jonathan
Yola Operations Team Leader
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi Jonathan. I am sorry for posting wrong information. I got this from an employee on this forum. They told me this is how it goes. Thanks for correcting me.

Sincerely,
Nathan
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
One more thing: what do you mean by virtual hosts?
Photo of Jonathan Hitchcock

Jonathan Hitchcock

• 37 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Hi Nathan,

Stephanie was referring to the location of your site in the directory structure on our server's disks, not to actual long URLs which are somehow hidden.

This leads me to answer your second question: what a virtual host is. Virtual hosts are a way of configuring a webserver to host many different websites, instead of just having one. So, we have a bunch of your sites on one individual server, and depending on the domain name in the URL of the request you make, the webserver displays the correct site for you.

I hope this helps..
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Oh, thanks Jonathan! I thought she said that is what our sites look like, thanks!
Photo of James

James

• 75 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you both for your help and i hope subfolders come out soon