Forum Posts\Changing Address (for 301 Redirect) in Google Webmaster for a Yola Hosted Site

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Answered
I want to 301 Redirect my old address from www.helpalexjones.tk to my news address of www.help-alex-jones.tk. I have verified both sites in Google Webmaster Central. I have gone through the instructions in the "Change of address" page to step #4 "Tell us the URL of your new domain" where I select the domain name "www.help-alex-jones.tk" from the drop down box (See image below).

Once I press submit, I get the following message:
"We couldn't verify www.helpalexjones.tk. To submit a change of address, www.helpalexjones.tk must be verified using the same method as helpalexjones.tk. Add www.helpalexjones.tk to your account and verify ownership, then try again." (See image below).

It appears that Google Webmaster Central goes back out to my website to Verify that I'm the owner. The problem is I've filled the Yola Google Webmaster Code Field with the code for my new site (i.e., www.help-alex-jones.tk).

1. Is there a way that I can put in multiple codes so I can verify both domains to make the change?
2. If not, How can I get in the raw HTML to paste the additional Google Webmaster Code into my site?
3. If either of the above requests aren't possible, how can I fix the above problem so that Google will know that I own both domains and this one Yola Site?

Thanks,
Bobby
Photo of Bob Marly

Bob Marly

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • happy

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello Bob,
It's not possible to verify both domains with Google Webmaster for the same site. When a site is published to more than one domain, one of the domains needs to be the primary domain and the other domains will need to 301 Redirect to the primary. So you only need to verify your primary domain with Google Webmaster.

So, the thing to do at this point would be to remove the Google Webmaster code from your site for the old domain, and re-verify the new domain name using the same tutorial steps you used when verifying the first domain. You can then put the new meta data no the site for the new domain and complete the verification for the new domain.

We would need to put the 301 Redirect in place for your two domain names. If you can email us at support@yola.com, we can get this put in place for you.

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of SilverX

SilverX

• 492 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Hi Bob,
the classic Google webmaster tools had 2 methods to verify a site. But the new one has another . TXT verification.
But , unfortunately DOT.TK do not allow you to create TXT records for your domain.
There is a forum , mastered by me for webmasters.
Please post the same topic there and people will help.(me too) .

You need to find a external DNS host to manage your domain and need to point name servers to your DNS Host. Then , you can put 2 A records to your yola site , and make your site running smoothly.
Then , you can add your dashed domain to yola , and make it the prefered domain.(you need to send an email to yola).
It will automatically add 301s to your old domain while it is running.

For an example , my prefered domain is Techrome.com and I have a dot.Tk domain - esecrets.tk pointing to the same.
I used that way.

Forum : www.techrome.com

hope these helps.
Photo of Bob Marly

Bob Marly

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ayesh,

I posted my question to your site, but nobody has answered. the address is: http://techrome.com/node/29. Can you check it out for me? Thanks

Bob
Photo of SilverX

SilverX

• 492 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Bob,
my site is currently down.

Please do the following.

I looked up at your site and it seems that you have verified the not hyphened domain.

To begin your site's change of address ,
1. Create a new account in Afraid.org
2. Add BOTH of your domains in Afraid.
(domains > add)
3. Afraid should say that domains are broken in red colour
4. Then , go to dot.tk and log in.
5. Modify both 2 domains with following method.

Click modify next to your domain , and choose 'use custom dns' in the list box(you may chosen 'use free dns')

6. Then , there should be 2 x 2 table to fillout.

7. Then , add
ns1.afraid.org
ns2.afraid.org
to first coloumn and leave IP blank.(it should get disabled after typing ns1.afr....)

8. Now , go to webmaster.google.com

This is important.!
Google recommend you to verify both www.domain.com and domain.Com added to your profile.
( i )If you have added domain.com to your profile , click 'change verification method'

( ii )if you haven't added domain.com to your profile, click the 'add domain button'

after i , and ii , you may see a list to select a verification method.
Choose 'txt verification' then , you will see a phase to add as a TXT Record.
Copy it to clipboard.

Then , go to afraid.org and log in.
Now you have added 2 domains to afraid.org , then click manage.(for a domain each time.)

click on www.Domain.com and change the IP to 208.75.208.172
do the same for domain.com.

Then , click on add button and choose TXT in list.
Paste the google's code to destination field , and add quotes ( " and " ) to that code's begin and end

click save.

Now , go to Google and just click verify.

Follow the same method for your other domain and verify it too.

Now you can use 301 redirect.
Make sure that you have selected your prefered domain(new one) in Yola.

If you have any problems , post here.
Photo of Bob Marly

Bob Marly

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ayesh,

I understood most of it except for a couple of parts. I think I understood the section about submitting the TXT Record to afraid.org and implemented it correctedly, but it's not working. I have included some screen shots to show you how everything is set up.

Here's www.helpalexjones.tk setting page on dot.tk

Here's www.helpalexjones.tk setting page on afraid.org's

Here's www.helpalexjones.tk setting page on Google Webmaster Central

When I type in helpalexjones.tk in firefox I see:

As you can see I wasn't able to verify my site with Webmaster Central. I guess the TXT Record isn't correct. I tried putting quotes around the whole phrase (i.e., "google-site-verification: NM4LN47Xqfs5R3XrX4w82L45rbz13hL6HN17Ukuu3vQ") and just the raw Code itself (i.e., "NM4LN47Xqfs5R3XrX4w82L45rbz13hL6HN17Ukuu3vQ") separately, one at a time. What should I correct?

Thanks,
Bobby M.
Photo of SilverX

SilverX

• 492 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Bob, did you see that the addressbar of last image?
No forward found for help-alex-jones.tk

here is what you need to do.

Go to your Yola's domain manager and set

helpalexjones.tk

as your primary domain.
Then , just type helpalexjones.tk in firefox addressbar and hit enter. It should take you to the helpalexjones.tk.(not help-alex-jones.tk)

then , you should be able to verify the site.

Then , do the same route , including setting the primary domain to help-alex-jones.tk.
You should be able to verify help-alex.

Next , bite the bullet and just add 301 notification for your old domain in Webmaster tools.

I'm here for any help.
Photo of Bob Marly

Bob Marly

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ayesh,

I had Yola change my helpalexjones.tk as the primary domain and tested it by going to my website. After this I went to Google Webmaster Central's "Verify ownership" which showed it was verified or "8 hours ago DNS record Reverification succeeded". (see image below):

Then I went to "Change of address", "4. Tell us the URL of your new domain" and selected http://www.help-alex-jones.tk from the drop down menu (see image below):

then I received this error message, "We couldn't verify www.helpalexjones.tk." (see image below):

The first image states it was verified 8 hours ago. Things go OK whenever the Google Bot attempts to verify on it's own, but whenever I attempt to verify, via my own action, Webmaster Central generates a failure message. Ayesh, do you know why this occurs, how to stop it and how to move to the next step?

Thanks,
Bob
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Bob,
Did you verify your new domain by removing the old Google Webmaster code string from your site in the Sitebuilder and going through the process for the new domain? From the screen shots, it seems that Google is not seeing that www.helpalexjones.tk is currently verified.

Emmy
Photo of SilverX

SilverX

• 492 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Here is what happen.
According to DNS, www.example.com and example.com can be different. But every site on the Net points both versions to the same.

In your profile , you verified example.com via a TXT record , which is a global verification for any other subdomains of example.co m that you ADD LATER TO THIS VERIFICATION.

You've already verified www.example.com using the metatag.

Now , change your site's www.helpalexjones.tk's verification to a TXT verification. google SHOULD verify your site without asking you to verify again.

So , change verify method to TXT varification in www.example.com , and then you will be able to finish your task.

Do the entire project for help-alex-jones.tk.

Do not think that this DNS stuff is boring. If you learnt it well , and learnt how to code , you don't need to be under Google's thumb.

If you have any problems , I'm online.(my site too)
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Ayesh,
Yola customers need to use the meta tag option to verify their site with Google Webmaster or it will not work properly. I would like Bob to answer my question about verifying his new domain with Google Webmaster and see if I can then help him from there. Thanks!

Emmy
Photo of SilverX

SilverX

• 492 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Hi emmy,
I'm extremely sorry for this.
You finished answering while I'm typing a reply.

-did you see that the Google Webmaster Tools says 'www.helpalexjones.tk' and 'helpalexjones.tk' must be verified in the same method ?.
By using a metatag , there are no option to do it. In yola , people can't upload such html files . But they can follow TXT verif. That's why I said Bob to use TXT -
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Ayesh,
People can only use the meta tag option to verify their site with Google Webmaster in Yola. A txt file will usually need to be uploaded into the root directory of a site, which is also not possible.

I am quite sure that if Bob just removes the Google Webmaster code for the initial domain from the Sitebuilder, and goes through the verification method again for the new domain that all will be well.

Emmy
Photo of SilverX

SilverX

• 492 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Hi Emmy,
please check out what I said to Bob.
Google recently added a new verification method to root level domains such as techrome.com,yola.com and helpalexjones.tk.
After verifing , webmaster can verify blog.techrome.com , m.techrome.com , forum.yola.com , www.yola.com , etc without having to do anything.(uploading or adding meta)

the only thing they need to do is just add the TXT record in their DNS panel as Google said.
But , unfortunately .tk domain registrants (like me and Bob) can't add TXT dns records using default dot.tk DNS panel.

The trick I used (and said to Bob) is using another DNS host.

It works !
Photo of Bob Marly

Bob Marly

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Emmy,

My Primary Domain/Site, www.help-alex-jones.tk, is verified with Google Webmaster Central. Yeah!! Now comes the hard part: How do I complete a successful 301 Redirect needed for the Search Engines? Again, I would like www.helpalexjones.tk, the old domain, to be 301 Redirected permanently to www.help-alex-jones.tk, my new website address. The reason is I don't want to loose any links I have through my old domain, and I don't want Google and gang to penalize me for what they may believe to be duplicate content.

Sincerely,
B. M.
Photo of SilverX

SilverX

• 492 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Bob,
now you are the owner for both 2 of these sites. You will not get banned for duplicate content.

Now , set your primary domain for the new one(in yola) , and put a 301 notification for the old one to new one.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Bob

Emmy is currently offline. I will try my best to answer on her behalf.

If you would like your site's address to be redirecting to another address, you can do this by accessing your Advanced Domain settings: Assigning domains and creating a primary domain. However, you would need to make sure that any externally purchased domains are pointing to Yola before you can do this.

If you are trying to add a 301 redirect for a specific page on your site, unfortunately we do not have a feature on Yola that you can use. An alternative would be to create that page, make sure it's not included in the menu and then add a snippet of HTML that will redirect your visitors to another page. This link will explain how to do that: Links that Redirect when you click on menu tab.

I hope that answers your question! Please let me know if it does not.