Forums???

• Question
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Answered
How do you add forums on one of your pages?
Photo of GeorgeT

GeorgeT

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi GeorgeT

We are still working on adding that feature. Sorry it isn't there yet.

Could you tell us a bit more about what you would like to see in your forum? Your needs may well help to inform our thinking as we do our planning.

Let me know.

Monique
Photo of Dennis Waldrop

Dennis Waldrop

• 84 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
If you check out everything dulcimer you will see the various forums they have set up. I think he would like a basic forum that might look like that.
Photo of GeorgeT

GeorgeT

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well jut a basic forum, im sure you've seen forums on places such as invisionfree and freewebs, basicly adding one page dedicated to Forums, so maybe when you click on page style or template, the template would be a forum template, then tools instead of asking to place a video, picture, text widget, there'd be adding a category widget, and sub category widget, Topic Category... Thats basicly what i'd only need from forums, thanks for your time ;P
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Official Response
Great. Thanks for the description. This is one of the projects for the SynthaSite team for this year!
Photo of Stephanie

Stephanie

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
About how long do we have to wait for that feature?
Photo of xWolfx

xWolfx

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I want to have a forum on a synthasite website too.
It doesn't have to be custom, I would like something like Phpbb 3.
If it is going to be custom, I would kind of like these features:
Categories,Forums,Subforums,topics,"Hot" topics,polls,who's online list(with some advanced features),Forum admin panel, and a bunch of other things...
Something almost like Phpbb 3.0.1 would be great!
Photo of Ravenous

Ravenous

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi,

While we are awaiting the Syntha forums.. I would reccommend this..

You can get a free forum at many sites, I use: http://www.myfreeforum.org/

Its easy to setup your own forum (free)

Then I think the best way to do it is use Moniques advice on setting a Title page as a Link to an external url..

So you add a new page on your site titled "Forum" and when that is clicked it will direct you to your forum site..

You can see how to do this here: http://getsatisfaction.com/SynthaSite...
Photo of xWolfx

xWolfx

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I wouldn't recommend myfreeforum because it does have ads...
Also, you have to have a redirect...
For example, if you had a website (www.mysite.org for example)
And wanted the forum on your domain,
you would have to buy a domain for your forum.
(for example www.mysiteforum.org)
Now wouldn't it be much cheaper to have a forum on your site?
Maybe www.mysite.org/forum
I think I'm gonna have to wait for this feature. ^_^
Photo of Lefora

Lefora

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Lefora (www.lefora.com) is offering free forums that you can embed into any site using an iframe. Here is an example http://thingstocome.com/forum.html
Photo of brawlmelee64

brawlmelee64

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How do I add my Lefora forum to my site? What is an iframe?
Photo of Cheeky Hobbit

Cheeky Hobbit

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've set up a forum on that Lefora site, but it won't let me embed it onto my website: http://www.conquestcentral.synthasite...

Help would be much appreciated.
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi brawimelee64,

Go to http://www.lefora.com/ and follow the directions to create your own forum.
Then:
1. In SynthaSite: drag and drop an HTML widget onto your page
2. Paste this code into the HTML editor, replace YOURFORUM with the short name of your forum on lefora:

<!-- <iframe src="http://YOURFORUM.lefora.com" width="800" Height="600"></iframe>-->

Remove the <!-- at the beginning of this code and the --> at the end, that's just there to stop Get Satisfaction from interpreting the code.

And a very cool lefora forum will be embedded on your page!

Alternatively you can google for "free forum" or "free message board". When you find one you are happy with, create your forum and copy the HTML embed code. In SynthaSite, drag and drop an HTML widget onto your page and paste the code into the editor. Your forum will then be embedded in your page.
Photo of Sarah

Sarah

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
what are fourms?
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Sarah - this is a forum! A place where people can have public discussions, ask advice and answer questions on certain topics - here's a definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet...
Photo of Eldron

Eldron

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can you add MyBB as the forum?? MyBB is awesome.. Thanks.
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Eldron - can you post MyBB's address so that we can take a look? I googled and there seems to be more than one...
Photo of Eldron

Eldron

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi marije... the URL is: http://www.mybboard.net/

MyBB is simple and powerful...
Photo of Eldron

Eldron

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi marije... the URL is: http://www.mybboard.net/

MyBB is simple and powerful...
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Cool - I'll check it out and let you know. Thanks for posting the URL.
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Eldron - I had a look at MyBB and it looks like you need to install it with custom MyBB PHP scripts which is not possible on SynthaSite. If you've seen something different, please let me know!
Photo of Eldron

Eldron

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ohh... Ok, no problem, i'll look for something suitable and fit in on Synthasite, thanks Marije... .
Photo of Josh Strobl

Josh Strobl

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am really...mad... at yola employees! I am like 90% satisified with Yola, want me to tell you what would fill the other 10%? A FORUM!!!
Seriously, you can create a lot of other features but you can't create a forum feature! it would take like 7 days at MAX. for you guys to make one...Yola is going lazy.
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi Josh,

I'm sorry that you are upset. There are a number of forums available that you can embed on your Yola site. Have you looked at them?

Can you tell me why they aren't acceptable to you?

I would like to help you find a solution for your website. Please let me know if you need some links to some appropriate forums.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
I'm not a Yola employee. I'd like to give my opinion here. Yola has a lot of great features to offer. The thing I really do appreciate about Yola is the ability to integrate many 3rd party sources by using HTML, widgets, etc... The thing we need to remember is that Yola is a FREE service with NO ads, no storage or bandwidth limitations. I personally think this is a pretty sweet deal! Yola is continuing to make improvements even as we speak.

I am sorry that you're mad with not getting all the features you want. However, I personally have found that no matter which site creator I use, there's always something that's not quite to my liking or is lacking some kind of feature. At least with Yola, as I have mentioned above, has a great tool for integrating external sources. If you're looking for a forum, many people have suggested either lefora or nabble. Perhaps these might work for you?
Photo of Spazz

Spazz

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sheesh Josh,your (most likely) creating your site for free. Give the Yola staff a break,their doing a great job!
Photo of nerd132sungod

nerd132sungod

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
your so rude
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
I am interested in the argument for a Yola made forum. I have used a number of various linked bulletin type boards, Phbb's and embeddable specifically Nabble.

I have heard the argument that for Nabble your users have to go off site to register or at least confirm registration that also happens with Phbb's, all of them. That's a once off requirement. The advertising doesn't happen on Nabble there is really only a small presence of branding which you do become immune to and it's not overpowering or distracting.

The Phbb's were the most problematic. Nabble has a great history it's fully configurable and features are improving constantly. Features I must admit having no use for, for my application.

It's interesting to see Nabbles work on their product. There are frequent additions, new ideas, fixes the works. When someone says that Yola could get a board functional within a week I find that really hard to believe. Maybe functional but the demands will be huge for additional; functionality. My question then is why not go with the strength of experience. What are the specific arguments against this type of forum being embedded in Yola's websites?

I haven't used Lefora's product so i can't comment other than, that has a group of satisfied users as well.

As I said I really am very interested in this issue.
Photo of Connor McCarra

Connor McCarra, Champion

• 944 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Nabble is the best so far.
Photo of Josh Strobl

Josh Strobl

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
to Ruth:

I have used- lefora, nabble, forumotion, phpbb
I hate when users have to go off my site to get to the forum, and I hate having to embed the forums into the site cause its too small, as I like viewers to be able to see the whole thing without scrolling all the time.

can't yola just set up a forum, seriously...I hate complaining, but since LAST YEAR yola employees have been saying they would get a forum out, THAT WAS LAST YEAR, TIME FOR YOLA TO STEP UP AND GET IT FINISHED
Photo of Eldron

Eldron

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Agreed...
Forums aren't really hard to make, I made PHP forum 3 months ago from scratch.
And website like Freewebs/Webs.com, you could insert an phpBB/or like phpBB.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Josh

Yola is busy working on a number of features at any given time. It is always a challenge to know which one to develop first, and we have to listen to everyone's opinions and then make a judgment call as to which ones to develop at which time. Some people want forums, and others want blogging, new styles, domain registration, a better file manager, shopping carts, photo galleries etc. You get the idea.

I have chatted to our developers and apparently creating a forum is not as simple as one might think. It is one thing to build a single forum, but to build one for an entire userbase and set up the data storage for this is not something that can be done in a matter of hours or days.

I am not a developer myself, but I can pass your feedback on to the people who make these decisions. I know they want to make everyone happy so I am sure they will appreciate you taking the time to tell us how important forums are to you.
Photo of Sweet

Sweet

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I use http://n2.nabble.com

Its free and it has some amazing features!

Here Is My Forum Movie Forum: http://cinevid.yolasite.com/forum.php
Photo of coolino13

coolino13

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How long need yola now for a forum?

Or when we can see the result?
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Coolino13 - this is something that is often requested and we hope to have it on Yola one day. In the meantime, I recommend using nabble.com - they have an easy interface and it looks really good once you've added it to your site.
Photo of Dominick Gordon

Dominick Gordon

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
nabble is ok, but my big complaint is the lack of BBCode
Photo of Cory

Cory

• 86 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Yes I am still getting frustrated at the fact there is no forum other than the embeddable ones. I dont like the look and feel of embeddable forums. They are too small. And most of them come with adverts. Nabble is what I currently use but my fuse is running short on this feature. I would be happy to UPGRADE to yola silver or whatever if this feature was here. I really dont want to switch hosting as i love the yola site builder but I might have to go where the needed features are.
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Cory - we have a forum widget available called Tal.ki - have you tried that yet? More on this link: http://www.yola.com/customer-support/...
Photo of Cory

Cory

• 86 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have toyed with it and not too fond of it. Free version is horrible and paid version isn't worth the money :(
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Cory, I'm sorry to hear that won't work for you. If you come across something that you like, please feel free to let us know about it and we can give you more suggestions on if it is possible to add it or not.

Kind Regards,
Emmy