Google Reader hacked

  • 2
  • Problem
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Solved
Looks like Google Reader has been hacked into - it's showing up posts from my blog that aren't actually on the blog itself. Can you offer any help?

http://dyfedwynroberts.org.uk/
Photo of dyfed

dyfed

  • 55 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 9 years ago

  • 2
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

  • 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello dyfed,

We would really like to look into this to see what the problem might be and will need to speak with an engineer to get more information. We will get back to you on this thread as soon as we have a better understanding of this.

Thanks so much for your patience while we take a look at this.

Emmy
Photo of dyfed

dyfed

  • 55 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, Emmy.
I've just tried to post a link to my blog on Facebook and the link was to another site! My URL in the status update does go to my site, though.

Dyfed
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

  • 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello dyfed,
Thanks for letting us know about that. We are definitely looking into this right now and will post back here as soon as we have more info.

Emmy
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

  • 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello dyfed,

We have released a fix for this, although Google Reader is still showing some posts that are not correct. I believe this has to do with Google's caching and will just take a bit of time to sort out. Can you give it a while and let us know if you continue to have any trouble.

Thanks,
Emmy
Photo of dyfed

dyfed

  • 55 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your help!
Dyfed
Photo of dyfed

dyfed

  • 55 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
All problems solved. You're god-like in your ability to quickly sort out problems! Apart from the ease of use of the site itself, your quick responses to problems is what I like best about Yola.

Thank you,
Dyfed.
Photo of sallysetsforth

sallysetsforth

  • 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I had the same (or similar) problem yesterday. 40-50 posts showed up in my blog's RSS feed in Google Reader (both mine and that of subscribers) that were from other sources. I don't know where they came from, but they looked pretty suspicious and I had to warn all of my readers to ignore them. The strange posts didn't show up on my blog itself - just the RSS feed.

I changed my passwords and the problem seems to have stopped, but I would like to know what caused the issue so that I can be sure that it's been dealt with. Was the problem with Yola, Feedburner or Google Reader?

Thanks,
Sally

http://www.sallysetsforth.com
Photo of Dré

Dré

  • 201 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi,

I believe it's as Emmy directed above. Just a temporary issue with Google's caching.
Photo of sallysetsforth

sallysetsforth

  • 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Google's caching explains why the strange posts are still showing up in Google Reader, but it doesn't explain the initial problem. Or why I got strange posts in my blog's RSS feed but not from any other blog that I follow. My subscribers received strange posts too (only from my blog's RSS feed), and some were delivered via email subscription to the RSS feed.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

  • 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Sallysetsforth

I will try to have someone who is familiar with this to come onboard to explain why this occurred. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.