Has Yola started enabling cool drop-down menus yet?

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
I am looking to purchase yearly membership but would like to know if professional drop-down menus have been implemented yet??? From a post i have searched, it states they will be available early 2011 but i cant seem to find it...Help Please!
Photo of jamesbelan

jamesbelan

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • undecided

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of jamesbelan

jamesbelan

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Have a look at the drop-down menu on this website, as this is exactly what i want...

http://www.doineedplanningpermission....
Photo of Francois

Francois, Employee

• 282 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Hi jamesbelan,

Right now our styles do not support creating drop-down menus. However, we will be releasing this functionality as part of the Yola Silver package early 2011. Although it is probably not quite what you have in mind, here is a link to a tutorial which gives you an alternative way to handle subpages: Creating Subpages.

It is also possible to add a drop-down menu to the body region of your page using custom HTML. Here is a link to an article that tells you how to do it: http://personal-computer-tutor.com/dr...

To implement this in Yola you would:

1. Drag and drop an HTML Widget onto your page.
2. Paste the code generated from the above link into the HTML Editor.
3. Edit the code to replace their examples with the items you want on your list - you need to edit the URLs and the display text.
4. If the items on the list are links to other websites, paste the URLs for each website into the example code. If the items on the list are pages in your site, you need to replace the URLs in the example code with the URLs of your pages. The easiest way to get the URLs is to publish your site and copy them from your browser window. Paste them into the code. Click on "Save" and republish your site.

You can also find information on creating drop-down menus on this site: http://yolacodes.yolasite.com/.

I hope this helps.
Photo of rthomas

rthomas

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Would it be possible you could point me to a description of this new drop-down menu feature from yola will be? I'm trying to decide whether to use yola -- and need drop-down menus. If what you're going to offer doesn't suffice...I would like to move on.
Photo of Brianna

Brianna

• 2045 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Hello rthomas,
Our sub menu will be released very soon. When this time has come, we will gladly inform you and the rest of the Yola community of this exciting new feature. We want to keep some surprises in store for you!
Photo of jamesbelan

jamesbelan

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
thanks for the reply but i would like this to be on my menu rather than on the main body...can i do this - http://personal-computer-tutor.com/dr... - to the menu rather than the main body? cant seem to edit the menu tabs...
Photo of Francois

Francois, Employee

• 282 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Hi jamesbelan,

There is an alternative. You can follow the steps above and then float the HTML widget up to where your menu would have been. You can use some custom CSS for this, if you're familiar with it.

If, however, you need more information on using custom CSS, please visit W3Schools (http://www.w3schools.com/css/default..... They have some great CSS tutorials that will help you achieve the desired outcome.

On that note, our Yola Silver users have access to the site's CSS, so they can override any CSS on their websites. If you don't have Yola Silver yet, it may be worth giving it some thought.

I hope this helps.
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi jamesbelan

Just to add to what Francois has said - Yola sub menus are currently in testing and we hope to release them soon. The release is later than we planned due to some unforeseen challenges but we are definitely working on having it out as soon as possible. We will keep you posted.

When the feature comes out it won't look exactly like the example you posted, so if you require further customization you might want to try the suggestions Francois has shared with you.
Photo of Andi North, Mangopear Media

Andi North, Mangopear Media

• 782 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Hi Jamesbelan,

You could do as above, and I would personally recommend Yola Silver or if you do not understand CSS, what you can do instead is the following:

1. Insert a column divider at the top of the page.
2. Move the centre bar to the far left.
3. Insert another Column Divider into the right section of the first column divider.
4. Move the centre bar of this column divider to the far left.
5. Insert a HTML Widget into the right section of the SECOND Column Divider.
6. Insert the drop down menu code into the HTML Widget:
7. Make sure that the code works and is correct.
8. Click on the margin button of the SECOND column divider, and set the top value to -100.
9. Preview the site and see where the drop down menu is in relation to the navigation.
10. Edit the margins of the second column divider so that the drop down menu and the navigation area match up.

A few tips...
Make sure you get it perfect on the first page, and then copy the code and repeat the process throughout the rest of your pages.

Hope this helps you,

If you need any more assistance please do not hesitate to reply.

Andi
Photo of diane

diane

• 1238 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Hi, Andi,

I'm just curious as to your thinking on using two column dividers? Wouldn't one be sufficient to control the widget if the margin goes too far? Or is there another reason?

• 782 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Hi Diane,

Good question, the reason is that if you use 1 column divider it moves all of the pages content up with it. If you use 2 column dividers, it only moves the content in the second column divider.

Hope this has made things clearer.

Andi
Photo of diane

diane

• 1238 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Ahhhh, of course, I temporarily forgot that HTML widgets don't have the margin editor :) Makes sense.

• 782 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
It was a tip I picked up from another Yola expert!
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Was that other Yola Champ/Expert Ed-a-Torials @ Honey Bear Playhomes? :)
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi all,

Want to see my Free Scripts & HTML Codes Site's (my new site that I will be releasing soon) menu bar? (It's drop down)

Here is a test page of it on my test site:

http://tester3.yolasite.com/nathans-d...

Just hover over the tabs to see them drop down.

Nathan
Photo of brianwkeith

brianwkeith

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I like this Nathan!

I'm trying to adapt it to my needs. I have gone here,

http://tester3.yolasite.com/resources...

pasted this into the "Edit Custom CSS" and have enabled site CSS override. I have been unable to change the background/text colours (by changing the colour number). Can this be done? Also, I would like to remove the ">>" after the link in the drop down menu. I deleted this apart of the code but it is still there.

ul#nav ul li a:after {
content:" ยป";
}

Am I going about this in the right way? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Photo of jamesbelan

jamesbelan

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks all for your info, much appreciated.

at present i have a 2 year domain bought from 123-reg.co.uk. Also web-hosting from Godaddy.com which will be expiring in a couple of weeks.

I am looking to buy the silver package at Yola.com just wanted to ask if this package comes with web-hosting and will it work properly if my domain and email are already bought from 123-reg.co.uk.

If I change my Nameservers on 123-reg.co.uk the email does not function properly so i would want to avoid this. Will I have to change my Nameservers if I buy the silver package at Yola.com?
Photo of andreisava

andreisava

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
If you have your domain name with 123-reg and hosting package with another company you must change your DNS settings not to affect your email functionality. If you change your nameservers and MX records from 123-reg's Control Panel, email will go down for at least 24 hours.

Andrei Sava - Web hosting support agent for 123-reg.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
You'll only have to point two A records to Yola to point your domain. Yola doesn't use Nameservers so you wont have to change those. Here is instructions on pointing your domain: Publish to a domain you already own.

Of course it comes with web hosting, all Yola accounts come with free web hosting! :) Yola Silver also comes with Advanced Site Analytics! Just click "Site Traffic" on the sidebar of My Yola. Yola Free comes with Site Analytics (traffic) still, just not as much information that there is on Silver.

Sincerely,
Nathan
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Thanks Nathan for sharing this information!
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
You're welcome!
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello jamesbelan

I hope that Nathan's response was of help to you. Please let me know if you have any trouble with anything.
Photo of jamesbelan

jamesbelan

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes! thanks for that! will defiantly be buying a silver package.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
No problem, jamesbelan :) You'll love having a Yola Silver package!

Did you know that you also get a custom domain credit when you get Yola Silver? If you want to know all of the features of Yola Silver, just go to the Yola Pricing page and then the middle column is Silver, just click on each row of features to expand and show all of the features.
Photo of the_pete

the_pete

• 65 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey James

We've been hard at work on adding a second level to the menu systems in all our premium styles. We're really close to release. All we have left to do is quality checking.

What we'll be releasing isn't a fly-over type of drop down menu system (which I think might be what you were hoping for), it's more of a state activated second level menu that displays when you're on a parent page. Each style will have its own unique, integrated second level menu style. That all sounds hard to visualize, so let me elaborate with some pictures from our testing environment.

Quick disclaimer:

- You can't access this stuff on yola.com just yet. We'll be releasing soon.
- These type of menus will only be available on premium styles at release time, we might add them to all styles in the future though.
- Things you see in these screen shots might change before release.

Photo of rthomas

rthomas

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
While this is a nice feature, it's definitely not what I'm after. I guess the javascript/css options referenced above are still going to be the best bet for implementing drop-down menus.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Oh, so it wont be something like this: http://tester3.yolasite.com/nathans-d... Does that mean when you hover over the menu items a box wont drop down? But it looks nice!

• 782 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Hi Nathan,

I think what Pete means is that you will only see the drop downs relating to the page you are on.
Photo of Nazlie

Nazlie

• 1721 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Hi Nathan

I'll have to check this out, but I don't think it will have the features like the menu you have linked to.
Photo of Kym Statum

Kym Statum

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Oh Please hurry... lol :) no pressure though.
Photo of Nazlie

Nazlie

• 1721 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
LOL! We don't have a confirmed release date yet, but from the_pete's post above, it looks like we're really close! ;)

• 782 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Hi all,

Just wondering, will this result in a site structure as follows:

www. domainname. com/about/history.php or not? This would be good as it makes our sites look more professional!

Can not wait for this... will make Sitebuilding so much easier!!!

Kind Regards,

Andi
Photo of Amar

Amar

• 201 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Yeah I am hoping it will be like that two - your site looks HEAPS more professional!

Amar
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Sorry for such a late reply. It will take on this type of structure: domainname.com/history.php.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hey guys,

I will need to clarify this with our engineer and get back to you!
Photo of mathew

mathew

• 25 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
can anyone update if this has been sorted out as i would really like drop downs on my site
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Matthew

This post is about submenus. They were released quite a while ago, and you can use them with any Premium Style.

If you mean real drop-down menus, we unfortunately do not offer this yet. But if you are not afraid of adding code to your Yola website, you can try our Yola code site (> Navigation Menus).
Photo of mathew

mathew

• 25 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Stefan thanks im a bit confussed as to were i get the code from as there is no liks to it can you explain how i works
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Matthew

Sure, just click on the Rules tab on the Yola code site. There you will find credentials to log into the test account where you can copy the code for the menu you want. It means a bit of work, and try and error, won't be a quick thing to do. If you have more questions, let me know.
Photo of brianwkeith

brianwkeith

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello,

I click on the "View Yola Test Site" but I cannot see where I can login. Where can we login?

Thanks!
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello brianwkeith

Good question, I can't seem to find the checkbox any more, either. Please just try and continue with step 3. You will log into a normal Yola account from our home page, using the credentials provided on the Yola code site.