Help!

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Answered
Wikipedia indicates it's documents are free to use as long as the GNU document is posted with the documents.... do you have to post the GNU document directing to wikipedia or can you make your own website page with the document?
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
  • http://youcanneverbetoosmart.synthasite.com

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Donald,

I presume that you have copied from Wikipedia.

Have you modified any of the content at all. have you removed any invariant material and have you combined the text with any other sources?

I don't know what you have done but you have put in a huge effort. Lets see what has to be done. No shortcuts..
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Donald,

this can be worked out. We simply need the facts to see the best way to resolve this. I am offering to help you if you feel that there's anything I can do.
Photo of Connor McCarra

Connor McCarra, Champion

• 944 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Can you not just say 'reference to wikipedia:NameofWhatever' and make it a link?
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Not as simple as that Connor unfortuntately

It depends on a number of things. It depends on where you got the info from within the text, it depends whether you have changed the info at all, it depends whther you have combined it with other sources. It depends whether you have chopped out or included invariant data.

dependant on those bits and pieces then determines the things that you are obliged to do as a new license holder.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I don't take out any of the article or modify it as most of this stuff is not a specialty of mine. I've simply modified the format to look nice. I have not combined any other articles with any one... I've provided links to separate articles. The reason I want to create something similar to wikipedia is because I believe mine can be more pleasant to read based on my formatting
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I did that... at the bottom of my articles is a "source of this article"... however, the GNU document on wikipedia specifically states that this GNU document must be present with any document taken from wikipedia... this ensures that people won't try to copyright the documents as "their own" without violating copyright laws. If you post the GNU document, then you ensure that others may copy from your site as well.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
the only thing I've changed is the [edit] markers within the document because I don't allow my visitors to edit the documents... but I don't believe the [edit]s are considered part of the document... that is more of website operations than the actual document.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
This still doesn't answer my question... does the GNU copyright have to be redirecting to wikipedia or can I copy it into my website?
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
OK. Looking good. Have you been able to identify any so called invariat data?
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
no, as far as I know, nothing is invariant about none of the articles. Like I said, the only change is the formatting (design of the articles) and the navigation to get to those articles are significantly different.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
That will make it easier.

have you changed any title , heading or words?
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I don't think so... the first two documents I did, I did around December... so as far as I know I didn't change them.... but it was several months ago.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
That's not a problem a copy and paste into google will find the original as all of Wiki is indexed. Easy. I have asked three more questions in a follow up. I'll post it as a new reply. I think that you can cover this very easily Donald. there are some variations but easily covered.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Three more questions:

1. have you selectively copied images, have yopu modified any of the images.

2. have you combined any sections of text

3. There is something in the GNU that mentions technical changes maybe that could be applicable to the edit tags.That I don't think I would worry about.

here's what I would suggest.

For each new major topic include their reference and the primary authors at the head of the section. If those are difficult to find simply copy with notepad and paste into Google search. All of Wiki is indexed so it will locate the sections immediately for you to cross check and pull out references and authors.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I have copied the images and DID NOT modify them. I have not combined any sections of text. Isn't the only thing the GNU said was that I can use any of the documents as long as the GNU is also posted?
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Some of the titles have been changed I was just looking at the GNU to see what was relevant.

I would include the date of your publication (this one) for reference to historical aspects. in other words when you make a change the original and the change a re traceable.

I would also put a notice outside the document of how you have endeavoured to comply with the terms of the license and if there has been any misinterpretation you will act on it accordingly.

Put a copy of the license after each major section. I think that should do it.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
where does wikipedia post this information on each of their topics?
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
You don't seem to have an original title that covers all of the wiki text. So you need to put the license with each major section. You couldn't simply put it under your website URL I wouldn't think.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
How would you interpret that?
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
each major section? so I would have to put it with "Humanities" per say and not the sub-article of "History"... Humanities being the major section and History being a topic of humanities.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
That's right.

The whole idea idea to show that you respect their system and the writers work that has been contributed and comply with the license conditions. A little uncertain overcompliance probably won't disadvantage the aesthetics of your site but will keep you safe.

is all of this a huge load on you Donald or is it manageable?
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
well... not really... I only have five main sections so far... Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, Formal Sciences, and Professions & Applied Sciences... but my main question still wasn't answered... do I need to keep the GNU intact in wikipedia or can I copy it unchanged into my own site?