Help - index page throws 404 error on web (all other pages load fine)

• Question
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Answered
Help my index page wont load on the net. All my other pages load with the page suffix e.g. www.xyz.com/articles.php but the index throws a 404 error. There is no nasty code in the index page - and Ive checked with my host and all is OK. I just dont know what the issue is. Can anyone help?
Photo of Craig Potts

Craig Potts

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Craig

Is www.xyz.com your actual URL, or just an example? If it is, please send me the live URL. Also - are you hosting your site with us or another service?

I would like to investigate further.
Photo of Craig Potts

Craig Potts

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The URL is www.tonnique.com and its hosted offsite. The strange thing is that I uploaded an old version of the download and it works fine. I even tried using an old index page and new other pages but that doesnt work. The code in the index page is different to the first one downloaded, however we didnt change the index - I dont know why the index regenerated
Photo of Craig Potts

Craig Potts

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No - the actual URL is www.tonnique.com. I didnt know whether I could announce the address or not. I backloaded an older version and it worked fine - just the last downloaded index file (which we didnt change - though is different)
The site is hosted externally
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Thanks Craig for sharing your URL.

Just to confirm - you are still having problems with a new index page though? I will need to get an engineer to come onboard to lend his expertise.
Photo of Craig Potts

Craig Potts

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes still issues - it looks to me like its the code on index.php - as I mentioned all the other pages are fine if I add the suffix (e.g. articles.php)
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Thanks for letting me know Craig. I will forward this info to an engineer. This may take some time to debug. I appreciate your patience while we try to sort this out. One of us will update you with more information once we know what's going on.
Photo of Craig Potts

Craig Potts

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi again

Ive decided to point my domain to yola to see if that works. Will let you know
Photo of Julie Brown

Julie Brown

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm having the same problem as Craig. My site is hosted externally. Any suggestions?
Photo of Julie Brown

Julie Brown

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, Marije. I will give that a try.
Photo of Julie Brown

Julie Brown

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just had a belated thought - the site is brand new, so I don't have an "old" version of the router.inc file.
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Julie - it's not likely that this is the issue in that case. We have logged this bug to be looked at by our engineers. However, I have to let you know that something like this has a low priority and isn't likely to be fixed very soon. We would suggest that you rather point your domain to Yola and publish your site on our side. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you right now.
Photo of Julie Brown

Julie Brown

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Marije. I did point my domain to Yola, and can now see all pages. However, this has created a few more problems that I will have to resolve.
Thanks for your timely help. The customer service here is amazing.
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Glad to hear that you're pointing your domain, makes things easier for us to support! If you need help with the other issues, feel free to start a new post on this forum or send an email with your support request (support@yola.com).
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi Julie. What do you mean by hosted externally?
Photo of Julie Brown

Julie Brown

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nathan, I mean that I am using another web hosting service other than Yola.
I already had a website up and running, and thought that it would be easiest to stay with the same service.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan, Champion

• 3739 Posts
  • 307 Reply Likes
Hi Craig, I can see your website:

What do you see?

I am using Google Chrome (latest version)

Also, Craig, have you tried clearing your browser's cache? Tutorial here on how to clear your cache: Clearing the cache.

I hope you get it working!
Photo of Majato

Majato

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm experiencing the same problems that Julie and Craig did (Yes, I'm hosting externally. No, I'm not going to point to my site on Yola).
Seems odd that other pages work fine, so there must be something wrong in either the index.php code or the router.inc.php code.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
I'm sorry to hear that you're having this trouble. Can you please let us know your site URL so that we can look into this further?

Thank you for your patience as we work on this together.
Photo of Majato

Majato

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Sanja.

The URL is http://test1.totalclientmarketing.com

If you go to http://test1.totalclientmarketing.com... the page works fine, hence why I think the problems lie in the code on the index.php page or route.inc.php.
Photo of Majato

Majato

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Sanja.

The URL is http://test1.totalclientmarketing.com

If you go to http://test1.totalclientmarketing.com... the page works fine, hence why I think the problems lie in the code on the index.php page or route.inc.php.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Thanks Majato

I will need to have an engineer take a look at this and get back you. Thanks again for your continued patience.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Craig

Thank you for your patience. After speaking with the engineers, it has been determined that we are only in a position to ensure that sites run correctly on our own servers. We cannot provide support for sites hosted elsewhere. The reason being is that if we change something on our codes, we are not able to determine the impact that this will have on your site in a different hosting environment.

You are welcome to host your site with us for free and publish it to your own domain. We will then be in a position to support you and make sure that everything works smoothly.