Help with Creating a Slideshow

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Hi, I am trying to Create a Photography site: http://sitebuilder.yola.com/en/ide/in...,
A Slideshow is really important to me.

I created a Gallery with Flash Gallery Builder (Zen Gallery) - I have uploaded the files on to filemanager (appart from the js files as Yola says they are restricted??)
I am very confused.
I tried dragging the swf widget on to my Wedding gallery page - but it is empty and no slideshow is showing.

Please help with a simple instruction as I am a complete novice with html scripts or coding!!!!!

Many thanks,
Photo of azupan2002

azupan2002

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hello Azupan,

Using the Yola Flash widget you need 2 things:

• Your movie (swf file) uploaded into your file manager

• The Flash swf widget dragged onto your page where you wish to see the show presented.

When you drag the Flash swf widget onto your page, a dialogue will open asking for either a new swf file or a previously uploaded file. In this case you would indicate a previously uploaded file and then the dialogue will continue to allow you to select the correct swf file for embedding within your Flash widget. If this has been done successfully the movie will begin.

You listed your site address but in fact this is your sitebuilder address and is unavailable for external use. You need to get your published site address if you wish others to see your progress.

Second thing to consider may be the fact that the presenting engine of your slide show may be a specifically tailored version of the Flash widget which could be the js files you referred to. js files are restricted in the Free version but available in the paid subscribed versions.

If you need to develop this further please let us know.
Photo of azupan2002

azupan2002

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for the reply.
When I drag the swf widget on my page and click te filer-there is nothing its blank.
How can i make a slide show if the js files are restricted?
I don't want to publish my site when it's not ready.
Please advise what slid shows I can use or create on the free version of yola?
Thank you
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
May I just confirm that you have uploaded the swf file into your File Manager? If you have and it's not showing then it suggests it hasn't been uploaded to the directory or folder that you intended to upload it to.

You can check the swf file by placing a copy on your computer desktop and running it independently there. That would confirm that the file itself is OK.
Photo of azupan2002

azupan2002

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, I have uploaded it into my File Manager. I tried running it independently on my laptop as you advised - but I get an error message: The application could not be installed because the installer file is damaged. Try obtaining a new installer file from the application author.
I am not sure why this is.. :-((
Photo of azupan2002

azupan2002

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for the reply.
When I drag the swf widget on my page and click te filer-there is nothing its blank.
How can i make a slide show if the js files are restricted?
I don't want to publish my site when it's not ready.
Please advise what slid shows I can use or create on the free version of yola?
Thank you
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello azupan

There are a couple of third-party providers who offer to create a slideshow and embed it into your website. Slideful.com is a very simple and basic one (you won't even need to sign up for an account) that I've personally used and been quite happy with (see one of my sample sites).

For more embeddable slideshow options please see this thread.
Photo of azupan2002

azupan2002

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you Stefan - I will have a look and check this out. :-)
Photo of azupan2002

azupan2002

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just had a look stefan, and it looks great - How do you get the images for the slideshow to fill such a large area of your web page. That is what I am trying to achieve.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Your images must have the right dimensions, i.e. the right width and height. (You could also upsize them within slideful, but you'll lose quality or proportions.) When you take pictures with your cell phone or camera, make sure to choose the largest size. Afterwards you can crop the images with an image editor, such as Pixlr. And it depends on how much space the Yola Style template you chose provides. With slideful you can select a custom image size by entering the pixel values and then go from there.
Photo of azupan2002

azupan2002

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you,I will try that.
Photo of azupan2002

azupan2002

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you,I will try that.
Photo of azupan2002

azupan2002