Help with indexing!

• Question
  • Updated 10 years ago
  • Answered
Does anyone know how long it takes to get indexed in google? And if anyone has any tips & ideas to move up the list once it happens and before it happens? Also, please give me specific tips and ideas to implement in my site! http://freemusiclistening.synthasite.com
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
  • creative

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Hi there Donald,

Published sites can take anywhere from a few days to three months to appear in Google's index (we do submit them on your behalf).

Here is a link to our tutorial which gives you tips to help speed up the process: Yola Tutorial - Promoting your site
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
My list of THE FIRST 5 THINGS TO DO
1. fill in all the keywords and window titles etc. in the content sidebar
2. add your URL to all search engines
3. make webmaster accounts (google&yahoo)
4. add google anaylitics
5. spread your URL web wide - anywhere and everywhere

REF: (start off with these google url's - then do the same for all search engines)
(2) -
http://www.google.co.uk/addurl?contin...
(3)
http://www.google.com/webmasters/
(4)
http://www.google.com/analytics/sign_...
Photo of KanThaiDecor

KanThaiDecor

• 2402 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
You can also make a webmaster account with live.com.....Go to thier search and see webmasters at the bottom right.....Just put their meta tag in the html widget and install it in your uppermost left column on your index page....It does not show to visitors.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hi donald.

Two weeks to three months is the consensus. I would say most would indexed on the quicker end.

Add fresh content, add a blog, use social bookmarks, build links of a similar nature, review your window title, honest and limited numbers of keywords, description, use descriptive names for your files, alt text for your images.

These will all edge up your rankings in the search engines.
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
alt text is a great point - often over looked
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
and descriptive names of files. search engines gobble these.
Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Some great ideas here - Thanks Peter and The Duke.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Can't get the PR to rise but the web grading shows very clearly that when you keep at these things the grading goes higher slowly. Conversely if you don't you will notice a drop within two weeks.

The other interesting observation is that while your grading is rising so are the number of pages added to Google and also the number of links to your site.

The gradings and rankings are really hard to digest intellectually because they can't tell you anything straight out. What the grading tells me is that you're on the right track. Your analytics is sort of a proof. More hits is the goal. Not time or breadth of your site. Most people hit one to three pages, they don't browse your site as such because they come in from searches, hit your page (which may not be your home page) then they leave. I also notice that they hit your most recently updated pages for new content

Sites with high numbers of pages tend to have higher rankings but once again the readers only hit one page or two then leave. The bigger your number of pages offers diversity and a greater likelihood that a reader will come to a page of your site.

Actually I would love to see an analysis of Johns website (kanthaidecor.com) because his is a catalogue of fine products. I suspect that his site is truly browsed
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
all this stuff is good advice, thanks! I have though created a google analytics and webmasters, submitted a sitemap to google, I have added my url to many different directories, submitted my url to be crawled by google, I have a window title unique to each of my pages, I have keywords (but I use a lot - for example, if I have 25 songs on one page, I'll list all 25 in the keywords), I have google and kontera ads (don't think this affects indexing), I still need to create a blog but I am not good at doing this - will gladly take advice, how can I have a comment page to allow users to comment on my page (if this is possible)? Any other ideas not listed above, please feel free to help!
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Aside from google and yahoo... what's the next best way to improve traffic to a site?
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Add fresh content.

Think we have all given you a good wealth of ideas here for supporting and developing your site. You will see the growth in due course. The initial latent time can be frustrating; we have been there. In the meantime I think if you work on these aspects you will be busy. :)

Goodluck with your site Donald.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Comments are really easy.

JS-Kit.com is a very configurable facility. Almost Forum like. Easy to install embedded in Yola sites.

I would say that a blog for your site would be quite an easy topic. You have a knowledge of music. You know how to get the music etc. That's all interesting stuff for your readers.

You can also use it as a broadcaster for announcing new songs etc. With a blog you will get a lot of responses I think.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
so... if I add a comments page.. is that kind of like a blog in itself? Should I add a yola provided blog page or from another source?
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
The Yola blog facility really is very good. I can compare it to Blogger and I think in many regards it is superior.

The other thing about having a blog on your website will also potentially increase the number of people coming to your site.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
ok... this is cool... I need an opinion... just checked out the JS-Kit.com and it appears I can add ratings to my website/pages... should I add a "rate this song" to each of my songs?
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
I think that would be a good idea.

It could show the areas of interest of your readers. Maybe good for your future selection of songs too.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I'm kind of confused... a blog is suppose to be so others can discuss topics among each other... the blog provided by yola allows only the site publisher to post topics.???
Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Hi there Donald,

Not all blogging platforms allow multiple users to post blogs on one site. We only allow one author to post blog posts but by adding Disqus comments to your blog, anyone can comment on your writing.