Help with my drop down menu, PLEASE! :'(

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
I've been having a hard time changing the format of my navigation menu on my site. I saw the different drop down menus that yola was offering, and I really loved the smooth transitional menu, and I have been trying to incorporate it on my website, but nothing seems to be working! Please, please, please, I need some help! Here is a link to my work in progress website-

www.FarInspiredDesigns.com

Thanks!
-Fariha
Photo of Fariha Alhassen

Fariha Alhassen

• 21 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused!

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of diane

diane

• 1238 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Yola does not offer drop down menus. Can you please give the url where you saw the smooth transitional menu and we can give you more help?
BTW, very, very nice website--quite impressive.
Photo of Fariha Alhassen

Fariha Alhassen

• 21 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you so much! Any help would be great! Here is where I found the transitional menu: http://yolacodes.yolasite.com/smoothn...

Please let me know if this is possible?

Thank you so much!
Photo of diane

diane

• 1238 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Yes, you should be able to use this one. The yolacodes site was started, I believe by Sanja before she became an employee and Boomer who's a Champ so it's not actually from Yola itself. Some questions:
1)Did you copy all the code exactly as it appeared on the site?
2)Did you upload the images to your file manager? For the images make sure that you add the word resources to the url, like this: resources/yourimage.jpg as this is where the images go into.
3)What exactly is not working? Does it show up but not drop down? Does it not show up at all?
If it doesn't show up at all, it's possible you may have what I call the evil space eater gremlin: check the very beginning of your code--it should start with the words "style" and "type" and there should be a space between the two words. If there is no space, this causes the code to not work.
I hope this helps, let us know how it goes and if you need more help.
Photo of Kershnee

Kershnee

• 2087 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Thanks for the awesome help, Diane!
Photo of Fariha Alhassen

Fariha Alhassen

• 21 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Diane,
I did copy the code exactly as it appeared, although I still feel like I may be doing something wrong...I put 4 html boxes, and on the 4rth one, I insert the code w/ images but nothing seems to be working. The beginning of my code seems fine as well. Is there anything else I can do?

Also, would this replace the current navigation menu I have up now? Thanks so much!
Photo of diane

diane

• 1238 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
I'm a bit stumped on this one. Two things: 1) try putting all the code in one html box; and 2) post the code here so we can look at it. Go to this link: http://forsite.synthasite.com/encoder... to paste your code first then paste to Get Satisfaction so the forum doesn't try to execute your code.

You can replace the current navigation by going to "edit navigation" at the top of the sitebuilder and dragging the pages to the "out" side.

It is possible that the current navigation is interfering with the code so you might try doing the above first then try the custom code again.

Also, try this on a test page.
Photo of amrut.bmw

amrut.bmw

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
can we remove old menu for yola free account?
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello,
You can remove the standard menu that comes with the Style buy removing the pages from the navigation and then creating your own menu manually with text or image links.

These are the steps to removing a page from your navigation:

1. Click on "Page" > "Page Manager" in the main menu.
2. The Page Manager will open and you will see the list of your pages.
3. To remove pages from your navigation, you need to click on the green check for the page that you would like to remove. This check is located next to the green "indent" arrow to the right of each page name (if you mouse over it, you will see the words "Click here to hide this in your menu").
4. Click on the green check, so it becomes a red "x". This removes it from your navigation.
5. Click "OK" and save your changes.

Don't forget to click on the "Publish to the web" button to update your website.

You can then check out this tutorial for more information on creating links: Creating links.

I hope that will help.

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Fariha

I apologize for not seeing this thread earlier. I see that Diane has been trying to help you with getting the code to work.

If possible, could you please post your URL so that we can take a look at your codes? I'm sure that we'll get this sorted out between all of us!
Photo of Fariha Alhassen

Fariha Alhassen

• 21 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi!
Thanks so much! My url is above on my first post, but Ill repost it again-

www.farinspireddesigns.com

-Fariha
Photo of Sanja

Sanja, Official Rep

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Thanks Fariha. My apologies for missing that URL! I will take a look and let you know what I see. Thanks for your patience!
Photo of Hatch Rentals

Hatch Rentals

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi there
I know this is an old thread but thought i would write on here
i have the bronze account with yola and am using the tastelessly template. i want to add a drop down menu to my main menu so it's more user-friendly.
could anyone help?
thanks so much!
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hi Kimm,

This will be a fairly significant undertaking for a non-silver account. It certainly can be done and there are a number of menus published around.

Suggest that you search and find one that you like making sure it's either a CSS or a javascript menu. We can look at it and see if it should work.