How can people comment on blog posts?

• Question
  • Updated 10 years ago
When I visit many other blogs online, they usually let viewers comment on individual posts. Is there a way to do this with the current blog format, or is this a feature that could be added?
Photo of Byron

Byron

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • just wondering

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Kershnee

Kershnee

• 2087 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Byron,

You can use the Disqus feature to add comments to your posts.

1. Visit www.disqus.com and register
2. To get the comment code, your site has to be published
3. Submit your URL on Disqus
4. Click on Admin > Tools
5. Choose "Generic code" and copy the code provided
5. Paste the code back in the dialogue box on SynthaSite
6. Preview your page to be able to view the comment feature

You only need to add the code to your site once and the comment feature will be enabled for all of your posts. You can then login to your Disqus account to moderate any comments.

Kershnee
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Byron

As Kershnee explained, right now it is possible to enable comments using the third party service, Disqus. You will see the link to this service if you click on the "Settings" tab in the Blog Manager.

We hope this will meet your need until we are able to develop this feature further. As you correctly noted, this is our first release of blogging with new features to be added in future, so keep sharing your feedback as your needs will serve to inform our future development.
Photo of Robert

Robert

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I setup a forum just for my website. And in each blog entry I have a direct link to the forum, a place just for commenting on that particular blog entry.I think that will be sufficient until we have that blog comment update from SynthaSite. Check it out if you like: http://tinyhotspot.synthasite.com/blo...
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Interesting workaround! Thanks for sharing this idea!
Photo of LawyerBird

LawyerBird

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Where exactly do I paste Code Snippet #1 and Code Snippet #2 from Discus?
Photo of Byron

Byron

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you guys, I will try that. I appreciate the help!
Photo of Alex Altorfer

Alex Altorfer

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, there are two code snippets and their instructions are very ambiguous. Do we need to learn HTML programming to use Disqus?
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Alex - I answered your question on this thread: http://getsatisfaction.com/SynthaSite.... No HTML programming required!
Photo of PinkV

PinkV

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi there.
I have set up a Blog website, which is all good. I know Disqus is an external platform, but sadly they have limited "help". Any hints much appreciated. The problem is I have set up Categories, and trialled the site, and no matter how I post comments in the Blog, or from what email address, the site says no posts have been made, the the tally for each category remains at "0".
The site looks great, but the functionality isn't there. I'm hoping I've left out something simple!
www.pinkviolence.info
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
After posting the comments are you logging into your Disqus account and moderating them? Once you approve the comment it should appear on your blog. If this isn't happening we will have to contact Disqus for support.
Photo of PinkV

PinkV

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Monique
I love Synthasite, but not Disqus. I am good at working out the how-to's of various sites, and I can't even work out how to delete a site within the Disqus environment. I created a test site first pinkviolence.synthasite within Discus first, and was unable to delete it when i went to the url pinkviolence.info It may be confusion exists between the two urls. Can't tell, and can't solve.
Yes, I am moderation the comments, but it still does not count them. There are other clunky problems too. I am thinking of abandoning the Blog and moving back to a simple comment system, which is a shame as it took many hours to develop.
But also, unlike my other two sites, the pinkviolence site seems to have some other problems. My ability to edit text, for example, on the home page, is variable. There are too many variables in terms of problems, and so I find it hard to work out which factor is a problem for which issue.
Not sure where to go with this one!
Warm wishes
PinkV
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
I am sorry this is going nowhere for you. I have also found the helpfiles from Disqus a bit lacking in anything to help with this problem. Our integration with Disqus is meant to simply be an interim solution for our first release of blogging. Hopefully we will have our own comment system soon that will address these issues.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problems you are having editing text?
Photo of PinkV

PinkV

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Monique,
I have now changed all of my pages back to web pages, and removed all links to Disqus except the index page - could not work out how to do it.

In terms of the editing text issue..... on my pinkviolence.info site it is often the case that I cannot write in text blocks, and to edit, I have to do it it html. It is almost as if most of the time the text blocks are not wysiwyg. Every now and again, it works.....I thought changing the pages out of Blog might fix the problem, but it didn't. I am unable to work on the site effectively, as I am able to drag in text blocks, or edit text using html, but cannot write text most of the time. Funny, this problem does not happen for my other sites.
Hoping you can help.
Cheers
PinkV.
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Can you log in to your account, click on the Help button, and then Contact Support and email us this problem. It will give us more information to help you.
Photo of Nancy

Nancy

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey, so we are very new to this and we are in need for help of enabling a comment box to the end of our blogs. Does anyone know how we are able to do this? Please reply back!! Thanks :)

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Add Comments.