How do I change my url?

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Answered
How do I change my url? Currently it's IfMoneyCouldTalk.com but I want to make it theadvicecollection.com. I've had both urls transferred from godaddy. The current one, ifmoneycouldtalk.com had no problems. But now I can't seem to change it to theadvicecollection.com
Photo of martin

martin

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • unsure

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello Martin,

I did a domain lookup on theadvicecollection.com and see that it is not configured to point towards our ip address. Once you edit the A Record to point towards our ip, you will then be able to unpublish your site from ifmoneycouldtalk.com, and republish to this domain name.

Here are some instructions that might help you with editing the A Record with GoDaddy:

1. Go to the GoDaddy website.
2. Under 'Domains' on the menu choose 'My Domains'. This will take you to your GoDaddy domain manager. NOTE: at this stage you may be required to login.
3. From the 'Domain Manager' interface, click on the domain you want to edit.
4. Now click: Click on 'Total DNS Control and MX Records'.
5. Now you need to edit your A record. Click on the icon in the section: A("host").
6. In the box where it says 'Points To IP Address': put the Yola IP: 208.75.208.172 and click 'OK'.
7. Your domain should now point to Yola. You can test if this has worked by typing your domain into your browser. If all has worked correctly you should end up on a placeholder page displaying your site name. Don't be too worried if this is not the case, bear in mind that DNS changes, like you have just made, can take up to 48 hours to propagate through the internet.

If you are then wanting to have your site utilize this new domain name you can unpublish by clicking on the down arrow of Update My Site > Publishing Settings > Unpublish Site.

The go back through Publishing to a domain you all ready own as you did before.

Please let us know if you have any trouble with this.

Kind Regards,
Emmy