How do I create sub-pages or sub-folders?

• Question
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Answered
I'm not sure if sub-pages or sub-folders is the correct name, but here's an example of what I'd like to accomplish:
- One of my sites is "www.hillslist.info".
- A main part of the site is "Services" (hillslist.info/services.php).
- On that page, there are over 50 links to other pages.
- Now, say I click on "Locksmith" (on the Services page). That would take me to "hillslist.info/locksmith.php".

However, I would like it to take me to (a non-existent location called):
"hillslist.info/services/locksmith.php"

Does that make sense? I'd like to organize pages a little deeper in the hierarchy, so that they're not all under "hillslist.info/".

Thanks,
Jesse
Photo of Jesse

Jesse

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • curious

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of Sheep-Dude

Sheep-Dude

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I was wondering about this too... i didnt think to ask
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Did this thread answer your question SheepDude? (by the way I love your avatar)
Photo of Jesse

Jesse

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey SheepDude,

You're not just wondering about creating and linking pages, are you? If so, that's very simple to accomplish. Are you wondering about the way pages appear in the address bar or just about linking them?
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Jesse,

For your second and third order menus you have to create these manually. You can't use the auto menu feature. that's why you take them "out of the menu"
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Your address bar will only show two orders ever. Your domain/name of page.php, irrespective of the hierarchial order.

That's because all pages are created equal. Even embedded pages
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Jesse

Peter's last reply is correct. Each page's URL is your domain name followed by /page-name.php. It is not possible to create a /page-name/subpage.php.

I am sorry this thread has gone in circles a bit, but I hope this answers your question, even though it does not solve your problem.
Photo of Jesse

Jesse

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, Monique, for understanding the question.
That's all I was trying to do.
I thought it was a simple question, but it has gone on for a bit, hasn't it (2 days and 37 replies...).
OK, my next mini-mission is to find more about "www/url.com/page1.php/page1.1.php..."

FYI, I found you guys on Twitter - sweet! http://twitter.com/YolaWeb
You guys should have at least 10x or 100x the number of followers!
Photo of Shaq

Shaq

• 868 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I LOVE TWITTER. I AM SO FOLLOWING THEM NOW
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Jesse: Yes, sorry about the long thread. Glad you found us on Twitter. That account is quite new because we only started it after our recent name change. But we are eager to grow our followers! Thanks for helping!
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Jesse, as i see it, this is answered - no its not possible to make a folder to put sub pages into - this only becomes pratical (or not pointless) when you have 100's of pages, Yola was not designed with huge sites in mind - its mainly designed for hobbie/family sites -- only because its a) so easy to use and b) so good at what it does, do you get the likes of me and you trying to push its capabilities.

Although it would be nice - i would like hexham.info/business/accountant/BUSINESSNAME.php unfortuantly at this time its not possible.

Always look to the positives - now i can say to a business "tell your customers to go to hexham.info/BUSINESSNAME - sweet and short - its like a tiny url for them!

Good luck with your site - Lee.
Photo of Rob.B

Rob.B

• 281 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Have a quick look at my site map page, it is in effect a custom hierachical clickable menu thing. I may be what you are trying to achieve.

Simple to make, just use the link symbol (a chain) in the text widget and select the local page you wish to link to.

www.rtb2walks.co.uk

Rob.B.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
where'd you get your print this page button? Noone else knows where to get them. If you read this can you email me at webmaster@youcanneverbetoosmart.com since I probably won't be back to this old thread.
Photo of karuthurimai

karuthurimai

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i ca't upload any file in my file manager when i try to upload files it's take too much time
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi karuthurimai - I've answered you on this link: http://forum.yola.com/yola/topics/i_c.... Can you let me know whether the steps I've provided help at all?
Photo of Nigel Robinson

Nigel Robinson

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have a related question! I know how to insert links within pages so I can nest one page 'within' another, hierarchically. However, I now plan to build a complex site with several hundreds of little pages, each nested within or linked to another.

I have no problem organising these links when creating pages. My problem is: the drop down box of pages at the top becomes very, very long!

I can organise this up to a point by prefixing a page name with some alphanumeric code, so pages are grouped in sections. But is there any way of organising the page names in folders for easier access in that l o n g drop down window?
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Nigel

I can see how this would be a very useful feature to have. Unfortunately, we do not have an alternative means of organizing your pages. This is something we are exploring and have on our list of features to add down the road.
Photo of baconfumé

baconfumé

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
That is something I would like to see it really implemented.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Thanks for your feedback, baconfumé. We'll pass this on to our Product Team.
Photo of John Yeoman

John Yeoman

• 35 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Following my further query (a year ago!) about sub-folders within the page drop down box, I now do have a vast number of pages and have organised them by alphanumeric prefixes eg: WV-11-2011. This makes it intuitively easy to access a given page, though scrolling down the box can be a chore. User-labelled sub folders would, however, make the task easier.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Your feedback is appreciated as this lets us know that this is a feature that our users would like to see!