How I Got High Google Page Ranks with Synthasite

• Idea
  • Updated 8 years ago
Short answer: I don't know. Google is ever mysterious, and always evolving.

Long answer: These are the things that I think helped most...

First, my sites, and page ranks:

A web comic:
http://redmenace.synthasite.com/ or Li'l Nyet - 0
Another webcomic:
http://scratchinpost.synthasite.com/ or Scratchin Post - 4
A reference and how-to site for webcomics:
http://psychedelictreehouse.synthasit... or Psychedeltic Treehouse (Treehouse for short) - 6

1. I installed Google Analytics. But I made a mistake on Lil\'l Nyet and didn't put it on every page. That hurt that site.

2. I stayed close to my category, which for Google's sake is comics or webcomics. That means I linked to other comics sites when appropriate, and limited linking to unrelated sites.

3. I did favors for comics people, and said by way of thanks, they could to me. Some did, some did not. The ones that did show up routinely on my anlytics.

4. When visiting comics forums and commenting on comics blogs, I signed my name, followed by my links.

5. I recently learned that the words above a link matter, so now I include the word comics above them, as I did above. This explains the link to readers, and confirms Google's understanding of it.

6. After a few months of tinkering, my sites were ready for a broader audience. I used EntreCard to add a traffic boost, followed by ads on Project Wonderful. EntreCard traffic is not sticky, but I did pick up some regular readers from it, and the increased traffic made me look more respectable to advertisers when I started hosting ads on my site. Note: To do EntreCard right is time-consuming, and not recommended for people on a tight schedule.

Project Wonderful is a much cheaper ad service than Google but it is built around comics, games and related areas. New category members are trickling in, but most people will find limited opportunities there until it gets bigger. It is a lovely, helpful site, though. I give it a "10."

7. If you decide to host ads to supplement your ad budget you can try Google, Project Wonderful or a few others. You'll get more money for ad locations visitors can't miss.

8. My PR6 site, the treehouse, is a huge site with thousands of links to comics and comics sites. This gives it an authority that is unusual: few people can or want to manage so many links. You also might not want them on your home page. Create a few extra pages with titles like Annex, Links, Resources, Related Vendors and the like and fill them as you find worthwhile links. A link to an obvious site -- the photographer who links top Kodak, for example -- will be almost meaningless, but a cluster of links to meaningful sites of various sizes will matter.

9. After you have found a valuable person to have link to you, befriend them. If you have personal chemistry, let the relationship grow naturally. Put their link on your site, but don't announce it. A portion will develop a fondness for you and your site and will link to you. I'm not saying to be phony, or pretend to like someone who is unpleasant. I am saying to offer unsolicited support and goodwill, gradually over time, and let nature take it's course.

10. Sadly, you don't want to do link trades too much. Google prefers unreciprocated links because people swap meaningless links all the time to try to get a higher page rank. This is why category is so important to Google: comics sites link to comics sites, not to plumbers. I can't tell you how to balance it, because I don't know Google's formula. Therefore, letting things evolve naturally is good.

A huge benefit of my Treehouse site, which is all about comics, is that if someone links to my comics I can reward them with a big, fat link on the Treehouse, with illustration in many cases. Perhaps you should spread outgoing links between your site and a blog site, for example.

11. Don't try to beat the system. General principles of search engine optimization should be researched and understood, especially for merchants. (Comics don't have this issue -- we actually promote our competitors instead of trying to knock them down the rank.)
I don't know how Google factors traffic generated from various social networking sites (including EntreCard), but to the extent that it generates pass-through traffic or bartered traffic, Google has certainly figured out a way to discount it. Fact: the best thing you can do is make your site as wonderful and easy to use as possible, quick to load and clearly organized. Don't hype yourself. Just look classy and responsible and ask experienced people to criticize your site. With Synthasite, it's easy to change things, so your site should go through periods of evolution as you learn and hear feedback.

12. Watch your choice of fonts. Synthasite has added in the five months I've been using them, and I am sure they will add more. Will every font has its uses, the current roster includes poor man's versions of Trebuchet (Verdana) and some others that are low rent. This is Microsoft's fault, not Synthasite's, as they chose the bad ones for inclusion with their browser (all fonts must be known by a browser or it will substitute another font). Times NR is useful for conservative looks. Gill Sans is a 100-year-old font of great distinction that I use heavily. The fonts in our comic word balloons are not browser compatible and not offered by Synthasite, but are embedded in the image so the browser reads them like a picture.

13. Synthasite is a great place to learn about customer service if you are a merchant. Learn from their desire to please, their sincerity in talking with you, their determination to follow up no matter what, and their friendliness. Note that like anyone, they will set limits for people who are over-demanding, so choose your questions and advice requests with care so as not to overwhelm them. It's partly because I got great help last week that I have set aside time to offer these tips to other Synthasite users. I want to do the help squad a favor, and give them a reference to share with people.

14. If you read this far, you probably want to make your site a success, you chose Synthasite for service and ease of use (not to mention upcoming feature additions), and you probably see that building a site will be a long term commitment, requiring a year or more to really get rolling in many cases. You probably have the sense to see that there is no gimmick or quick fix that will propel your site toward high rankings. There will be lucky breaks -- a favorable review, an unexpected high powered link -- and there will be times when you feel stuck and frustrated. I think you'll find if you think back to where you were two months before, you'll be amazed at how far you've come.

P.S. Use every part of your Google Analytics. Read every report (not every day of course) until you understand what it is telling you. Entry Sources is particularly useful once you get going.
Photo of Bengo

Bengo

• 308 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • very pleased with Synthasite

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of APOLO69

APOLO69

• 87 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello again! lol
I got in Google Analytics and I recive a new follow code (ja.gs)

Tracking Code

Tracking Status Information
Profile Name: apolo69.synthasite.com/
Website URL: http://apolo69.synthasite.com/
Web Property ID:

UA-7205056-1
Tracking Status: Receiving Data

Instructions for adding tracking

New Tracking Code (ga.js) Legacy Tracking Code (urchin.js)

Copy the following code block into every webpage you want to track immediately before the tag.
If your site has dynamic content you can use a common include or a template. Learn More
Use this tracking code to gain access to a wide range of exciting new features as they become available.

how and where do I suppouse to put it?

Thanks a lot!
Photo of APOLO69

APOLO69

• 87 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
by the way Im using safari 3.2.2 for xp and vista and it works great, super fast an simple, beware of the beta ver4 cause it has a lot of bugs

For me really the best browser ever! try it

ver beta 4 if you want to try it ht tp://www.apple.com/safari/download/

this is ver 3 works perfectly and its super fast
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Sa...
Photo of OUR SONS & DAUTHERS SARCOIDOSIS)

OUR SONS & DAUTHERS SARCOIDOSIS)

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
My son was diagnoses 3 years ago, with a rare and incurable disease called Sarcoidosis. People with sarcoidosis, immune system cells cause inflammation and cluster to form lumps. It has affected various organs in my son body causing him blindness, lymph nodes in his chest and joint disorders. I have tried to get medical help for my son through The Department of Social Services and The Social Security Services, he was denied medical coverage the doctors in hospitals are unable to treat him without medical coverage. His condition is worst, the disease can strike at anytime can be fatal. I pray the lord will spear his life. Alex is currently a college student at Oakland Community college he is on the dens list he hopes to one day became an Engineer. He dreams of also being a comedian like his hero Berne Mac, who also had Sarcoidosis it was a heart breaking day when he heard Bernie Mac died and was diagnosed with the disease, my mission to bring awareness to this diseases by forming (SAVE OUR SONS AND DAUTHERS FROM SARCOIDOSIS) to help others like my son to get the treatment and research and find a cure. I pray you can help me and others to bring awareness to this disease. Your help may bring us one step closer to finding a cure to this crippling disease. Please make donations at www.sossarcoidosis.synthasite.com
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Horrible, misunderstood disease.
Maybe some of us could promote the awareness on our sites. Would that be of any help? If so could you start another thread on this. It will get lost in this very big unrelated thread I'm afraid.

Goodluck for your son.
Photo of JvIoldytaco

JvIoldytaco

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How do I install "Google Analytics" If you could tell me that would be great.
Photo of JvIoldytaco

JvIoldytaco

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
can some one tell me on how to install this "Google Analytics"
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi jvloldytaco,

Here's how to add Google Analytics:

1. Go to Google Analytics and sign up for a free account.
2. Type in the URL of your site.
3. Copy the verification code provided by Google.
4. Go to Yola and drag and drop an HTML widget at the bottom of each page you want to track. You could place the code anywhere on your page, but always adding it in the same spot helps you keep track of where you have placed it.
5. Paste the code from Google into the dialogue box of the HTML widget on each page.
6. Republish your site.

Let us know if you need more help with this, or anything else.
Photo of stacie banton

stacie banton

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Jvloldytaco, how are you doing ? i see you are having some problems with installing Google Analytics,this is what you should do,visit www.google.com/analytics . step-1 create a google analytics account, step-2 configure your profile, step 3- Edit the tracking code for custom website setups. step- 4 add the tracking code to your pages make sure to copy the code on each page. step-5 link with your AdWords account. step-6 create goals and funnels. step -7 tag your advertising campaigns step-8 create filters . step -9 grant access to other users. step -10 enable e-commerce transaction tracking. Good luck, http://stacie.synthasite.com http://stacies.synthasite.com http://www.myspace.com/mssbstbess .God bless you.Stacie
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Thanks stacie!
Photo of stacie banton

stacie banton

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You are welcome Ruth,How are you doing? it's been along time.i have been working on my sites, stop by some time , http://stacie.synthasite.com http://stacies.synthasite.com http://www.myspace.com/mssbstbess.Take care ,Stacie
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi Stacie,

You have some lovely homes on display on your site. I know I've said this before, but it makes me want to move to Jamaica!
Photo of stacie banton

stacie banton

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Ruth Thanks it would be nice if you could move here, i tell you what i am doing a special Event right here in Jamaica, Artist ,Entrepreneurs & Celebrities Solute, in Aid of all our youths around the world.i would love your help and support if possible check out my blog, on my space, http://www.myspace.com/mssbstbess ,Thanks Take care Stacie
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
One day when the Lotto gods smile on me and I can retire...

Good luck with your event, it sounds like a great cause.
Photo of stacie banton

stacie banton

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
O,K i will hold you to that.thanks ,stop by any time,Stacie
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
google.com/analytics ... after you sign up for an account... copy and paste the code they give you into each page you want to track... in the very first html widget just before your main body. I use google analytics AND get clicky... they're the same type of thing, but I find more success and simplicity with get clicky... http://www.getclicky.com
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Thanks or the getclicky suggestion, Donald.
Photo of Barbara

Barbara

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This was a fantastic post especially for someone like me! I have started a couple of websites that I am currently working on and your info is fabulous for someone just starting out, thank you!!! I'm lovin' Yola, the templates are easy to work with and the widgets etc are terrific!

Cheers, all the best!
Barbs:)
Boobtique
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Awesome Barbara, that is so great that you enjoyed this thread! You might want to check out our SEO Tutorials or a recent webinar, Introduction to SEO, which you can watch here: Yola.tv.

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Jane,

John is correct - Yola creates the sitemap.xml for you! If you wish to learn more about this, please check out our tutorial: Tutorial: Google Webmaster.