How to easily add comments to your SynthaSite pages

• Idea
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Under Consideration
We’ve had several people ask recently how to add comments to your website. While we don’t yet have an integrated solution, the folks over at http://js-kit.com have a great solution that’s easy to implement. There’s no intricate setup needed on your part, and the comments will automatically take on the appearance (such as text color) of the rest of your site.

To allow your users to add comments to your page:
1. Open your site in the SynthaSite site builder
2. On the page that you want to add comments to, drag the “HTML” icon onto the correct location in your page – the html widget will pop up.
3. Copy the following two lines of code onto that page and click “OK”:

&lt;div class="js-kit-comments" permalink=""&gt;&lt;/div&gt;<br />
&lt;script src="http://js-kit.com/comments.js"&gt;&lt;/script&gt;

The comments will be tracked automatically by js-kit and be tied to that page’s URL – if you add it to other pages, those pages will have their own set of comments. When you create the page, js-kit will know that you’re the owner – only you will have the ability to moderate posts.

This easy solution should meet the needs of most people I’ve seen asking, but I look forward to seeing your feedback!
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 82 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of Chris

Chris

• 82 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Official Response
I wanted to add that the code above can also be used in blogs.

Please follow our blogging tutorial (http://www.synthasite.com/tutorials/b...) to see our instructions for adding comments to your blog. If you'd like, you can use the code I included above rather than the Disqus code - try out both services and see which one fits your needs best!
Photo of Ed-a-Torials @ Honey Bear Playhomes

Ed-a-Torials @ Honey Bear Playhomes, Champion

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Good addition Chris

That is the simplest one I have seen yet to add comments.
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 82 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks, Ed. If you do try it out, please let me know what you think.
Photo of eman_102

eman_102

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
thanks for that .
i needed to do a website for my ICT HOMEWORK AND YOU HELP ME TO KNOW HOW TO DO THE COMMENT BOX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Photo of Ed-a-Torials @ Honey Bear Playhomes

Ed-a-Torials @ Honey Bear Playhomes, Champion

• 2582 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
I wish that I could but as some of my affiliates frown upon blog or forums I am limited. I was turned down for certain ones in the past and had to remove my blog and forum features and since have had no complaints by them. The chat feature is out of their control as it is a way for customers to ask me questions.

Have to appease the man huh???

Oh and I need not take a long trial run to say that it seems like a great feature that I will be passing along to others from now on...
Photo of NSHS Ball 09

NSHS Ball 09

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I don't like the idea that visitors can delete comments. They should not have access to control options or altering content
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi NSHS Ball 09,

I think you may have misunderstood Chris, only the owner of the site has the ability to moderate posts, or comments.

With SynthaSite, you are the only person who can make changes to your site, unless you have shared your login details with someone else.
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 82 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi HSHS - your users won't be able to see the "delete" button that you see next to the comments.
Photo of NSHS Ball 09

NSHS Ball 09

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Actually, I signed into the site from another computer and saw the delete and controls buttons.
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Were you signed in to your account, or visiting?
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 82 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi NSHS, would you mind sharing your site here so I can take a look at it? It seems to be working as I mentioned above on one of my test sites.

Since we didn't build the widget I obviously don't know everything about it, but my experiences have been good so far.

Does anyone else have any positive or negative feedback?
Photo of Tdejcmmmmm

Tdejcmmmmm

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have the same problem on my site, users can delete the messages
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Tdejcmmmmm - can you post your URL so that we can take a look.
Photo of Tdejcmmmmm

Tdejcmmmmm

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
www.foxvalleyherbsociety.com I believe only the poster can delete their own comment, if that is the case, it is not a problem. Thank you!
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
That is the case! I checked out your comments page and it looks like there aren't any comments posted yet. Is it on a different page?
Photo of Tdejcmmmmm

Tdejcmmmmm

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I deleted the comments, as I am still working on the site. It just took me awhile to 'figure it out", sorry about that, thanks for the help.
Photo of mikeyday

mikeyday

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i just used the code and i too can delete it when i am just a visitor
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
If you are the creator of the site, then you will be able to delete the comment. However, a visitor to your site won't be able to.

In this example, Marije left a comment on her own chatbox.

I then went to her page. I could see her comment, and vote if I liked it, or not, but I could not delete it.
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Forgot to mention, that a visitor can delete their own comment, if they change their mind about what they wanted to say.
Photo of mikeyday

mikeyday

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
again you are awesome.lol
Chris,

Thank you,really helped your idea!
Photo of TamHan28

TamHan28

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Your advice helped me alot! I told my friends and the comments were pouring in!
Photo of Kershnee

Kershnee

• 2087 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Hi TamHan28 - that's great to hear!!
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hello Chris,

The JS Kit product is great.

I have one issue and that is the style. If you're using a Synthasite style with a default white text then there is a problem. The background of the wall gadget panel is white and the text is white. It's possible but quite involved to edit the settings of this gadget so I was wondering if you could alert JS to this issue or another solution if it comes to mind. (This is not peculiar to JS either)

It's not simply changing your style as often the style selection is there for a reason in the webmaster's mind and to change involves 1001 steps if you have to colour optimise many add ins.

Thank you
Photo of Louanne Piccolo

Louanne Piccolo

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is an old message thread so I hope I'll get an answer! Chris, I did everything you said but funnily enough the comment box came out in French! How do I change this?
Photo of JC

JC

• 354 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hello there, I am the same, hoping this does get an answer also. hve tried on page and works fine. I then visited the company at http://js-kit.com and see that one now needs to pay for this.
Or, can we use this coding placed here?
thanks.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello

As far as I know, JS-Kits is no longer providing free services anymore. If you were already a member of JS-Kits before these changes took place, you can still have a free account.

You can add a comment box by utilizing of one these two services:

Disqus Comment Box:

1. To get the comment code, your site needs to be published.
2. Please go to Disqus.com and register for an account by clicking on "Sign up, free".
3. Register your site in the blue box. Enter your site URL, site name and site short name.
4. Create your Disqus Profile in the green box. Enter your username, password, and email address.
5. Click on continue.
6. Choose your language and any other optional features you'd like to include with your commenting platform. Then click on continue.
7. In the "Choose Install Instructions" box, click on Yola/Synthasite.
8. Copy the code in the #2 box.
9. Go back to site builder and drag over the HTML widget box and paste the code into the box. Then click on Done.
10. When you preview your site, you may see this message: "This page could not be reached by Disqus. If you are testing locally or on a password-protected page, please use the disqus_developer parameter as detailed here.." - please don't worry about that. You just need to update your site and you will see the comment box working on your published site.

Another alternative is to use Html Comment Box. Please follow the steps for this:

1. First log into your Google account. If you do not have one, then you can create a free Google account here.
2. Please go the Html Comment Box.
3. In the blue box, you will need to click on "Log in" - this will give you your moderation tools. You will be taken to your Google email account. Enter your login information. Once completed you will be taken back to the Html Comment box site.
4. Please select the options you want available (which is found in the blue box). Then, copy the code you see in the green box.
5. Go to your site builder, drag over a HTML widget box and paste in the code.
6. Save and update your site.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Photo of JC

JC

• 354 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Just did the first one for my site (Disqus).
Sanja can you have a look at it for me......

http://newzealandartclasses.co.nz/com...

I have done something wrong as totally does not look like the trial one when you first visit their page at http://disqus.com/

ie mine shows sort by, moderator, etc. and does not show where they put in their name or email or anything.
Help please !
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hi JenC

It looks good to me! I've attached a screenshot of what I see when I navigated to your link. Please let me know if you see something different.

Photo of JC

JC

• 354 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
OK!! what is going on??? Have updated and refreshed a few times, and truly and honestly, the above did not come up. Now, have just gone back and closed out and reviewed and lo and behold ..... Hooray. so sorry to disturb, but it really did not appear. thanks Sanja, as usual
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
No problem.. I'm glad that you're now able to see this as well! :)