HTML help

• Question
  • Updated 10 years ago
  • Answered
All the HTML codes I've tried have worked. However, they dont work
with my existing texts/widgets etc. For example, I used the code to insert
a vertical rule. Instead of getting a line where I want it, I got the line beside
a brand new widget. How do I get the line/border/color or whatever, to
appear where I want it?
Photo of Comfort

Comfort

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of Comfort

Comfort

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I added the code all the way down the page and got the full borders (finally). The problem now is that when I delete the code to put in my text, the borders disappears. How do I make it stay?
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Comfort

It sounds like you're making progress! You need to keep the code intact for the borders to remain. What you want to replace are these words "Text and Content" in the code that Donald has given you. Everything else remains the same. I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any further trouble with this.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
you don't delete the code to put in your text, your text is entered in the middle of your code...

<!--

<p style="border-right: 1px solid red; border-left: 1px solid red;">Text and Content</p>

-->

You will enter your text where it says Text and Content AND KEEP EVERYTHING ELSE. What I recommend, after the code is properly inserted (whatever code you're using now), get out of the html editor and type your text direct into the widget.

Sometimes when you delete all text in a widget, the code is also deleted. What I usually do is to keep one letter and type the first letter of your text then delete the one letter you kept...

Text and Content - delete to the T

T - add first letter of content

TO - delete T

O - add content

Our website is about....

sometimes, it seems complicated, but I've had many problems I've learned to overcome, and if you're problem is when you delete the text your code also goes away, this is a quick and easy fix, just make sure you don't delete all text from the widget or else the code may also be taken away.
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Comfort, it sounds like you're nearly there. This was a tough one, but with help and persistence, you will have done it!
Photo of Keara

Keara

• 325 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Donald, you were terrific on this. You are obviously a man who is both knowledgeable and kind.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
thanks Keara... I take pride in learning new things and with the help of everyone on this forum, I have learned lots.
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 2991 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
hey Comfort, new developments for ya...

instead of using the &n(b)sp to add a line to make your border extend down the page, just change the "height" of your border...

<!--

<p style="border-left: 1px solid red; border-right: 1px solid red; padding-right: 6px; padding-left: 6px; text-align: justify; height:150px;">Text and Content</p>

-->

in the code you'll notice height: 150px... change 150px to the number you want, you may need to test a few numbers to find out what works for your wants and needs. But I believe this to be the better option. I hope this helps you! :)