I already own a domain name. Can I use this for my synthasite?

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
Photo of SynthaSite FAQ

SynthaSite FAQ

• 67 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Official Response
Yes! When you publish your site the second option in the dialog box allows you to publish to a domain you already own.
Photo of levi

levi

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
but how do i up load it to my own domain?
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Levi

How to configure a domain name you already own:
1. Log in to your chosen domain registrar (eg. GoDaddy.com, Register.com)
2. Go to the DNS Management page.
3. Set up an A Record
4. The IP address of your record must point to: "208.75.208.172"

Please note that it can take up to 48 hours (although usually less) for these changes to take effect and you need to contact your domain registrar if you need help in that regard.

Please get back to us if you have any difficulty in this. Tell us what your domain is and where you purchased it. If it is a domain name registrar I am familiar with I might be able to send you specific instructions for their domain name management pages, but their support should also be able to help you.
Photo of RossMelch

RossMelch

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Monique, the domain name I want to use is regisred with 123 Reg. I've been to their DNS Mgt page There are currently 2 A records there, both pointing to 194.154.164.90 one starting with an @ and the other WWW. Do I just add one showing 208.75.208.172, and do I put @ or www in the left hand box?
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Ross - you would probably need to change both to point to SynthaSite but I recommend that you contact 123reg to confirm. I tried to find info on their site but couldn't - sorry.
Photo of Kenneth

Kenneth

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok after i go to the management page on godaddy.com i'm not sure how to Set up an A Record or make sure the IP address of your record points to: "208.75.208.172" can you please tell me how to do this?
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Kenneth

To set up your A Record to point to Yola. please follow these steps:

1. Login to your GoDaddy account.
2. Under "My Products" on the menu on the left, click on "Show all my Products" and then click on "Domain Manager". This will take you to your GoDaddy domain manager in a new tab.
3. From the "Domain Manager" interface, click on the domain you want to edit.
4. Click on "Total DNS Control and MX Records".
5. Now you need to edit your A record. Click on the "edit" icon in the section: A("host").
6. In the box where it says "Points To IP Address:" put the Yola IP: 208.75.208.172 and click OK.
7. Under CNAMES (Aliases), the host name for "www" should be "@" (this is to ensure that your address works with and without "www").
8. Your domain should now point to Yola. You can test if this has worked by typing your domain into your browser. If all has worked correctly you should end up on a placeholder page displaying your site name. Don't be too worried if this is not the case, bear in mind that DNS changes, like you have just made, can take up to 48 hours to propagate through the internet.
9. Once you have configured your DNS settings, click the yellow "Publish My Site" button in Yola, then click on "Use my Domain". Click on "I have done this" and fill in your domain name. Follow the prompts to publish your site. (If your site is already published, click the drop down arrow next to the "Update my Site" button, and then select "Publishing Settings" and you will see an option to add a domain you already own).

If after 48 hours your domain is still not working as you would like, see the section in the tutorial below on domain diagnosis and troubleshooting.

Please click here for a really useful tutorial outlining the steps to getting and setting up your domain: Using a Domain Name not purchased through Yola.

Please let us know if you have any trouble with this.
Photo of Jody

Jody

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can I purchase my own domain through synthasite? e.g. www.myname.com
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi JF

You will be able to do this soon! We are working on domain registration right now. However, if you want a .com domain urgently you need to use a domain name registrar such as GoDaddy.com or Register.com.

Alternatively you could publish your site to a free synthasite subdomain, and then publish to your .com domain once you are able to purchase one through us.

Cheers
Monique
Photo of dan

dan

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
wait so even tho i bought a domain name off some other website, i styll have to do all that at godaddy.com?
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I simply mentioned GoDaddy.com and Register.com as examples. If you have already bought your domain from another website, you don't have to do it again. You just need to set up your A record to point to SynthaSite from the website of the company where you bought your domain. See the instructions above. Let me know if this clears things up for you.
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi Dan,

You will need to change you domain settings at the company that you bought your domain name from. You only go to GoDaddy.com if you bought your domain name from them.

Why don't you send me an email support@synthasite.com and tell me which company you used to buy your domain name, alternatively you could let us know here.
Photo of dan

dan

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
ok wait, i bought a domian name off lunarpages .com, when i put the name in the USE YOU OWN DOMAIN NAME bar, it says it dunzt point ot synthasite.com, whut do i do i am so lost..
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi Dan,

I'm not familiar with that domain name registrar, so I'm going to do a bit of research and get back to you. In the meantime it would be really helpful if you could read this tutorial http://www.synthasite.com/tutorials/p...

As it will give you a general guide to publishing to your own domain.
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi Dan,

I can see the lunarpages offers both phone and email support.

This is the process that you need to follow to configure a domain name you already own:

1. Log in to your chosen domain registrar (lunarpages.com)
2. Go to the DNS Management page.
3. Set up an A Record
4. The IP address of your record must point to: "208.75.208.172"

Please phone or email lunarpages.com at support and ask them to help you set up an A record from your domain management pages.

You will need to tell them that you need to set up an A Record, and give them the IP address 208.75.208.172

Please get back to us if they can't help you, but I'm confident that they will, they look like they have a very good support team there.
Photo of vidia567

vidia567

• 21 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
yes all wat you have to do is publish your site and say that you already have a domain name
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
You will then need to contact your domain name registrar and point it towards SynthaSite as well.
Photo of fitz

fitz

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i need help. i just join this synthasite and want to transfer my dmin name from lycoswebhosting to here, but i find it really difficult to understand. i ve been in my account and went to dns mangerment but fronm there just got confussed.... please help anyone who knows what i should do
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Fitz - could you let us know who your domain registrar is (who you bought your domain from?) Or you can post your domain here and we can look it up.
If you bought your domain from Lycos, you won't be able to transfer your domain from them, you would need to edit your DNS settings so that your domain points to SynthaSite (as per the above steps).
Photo of fitz

fitz

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
yeah i followed the above but ended up getting confussed as i didnt understand how to create an a record. i wish didnt buy from lycos, they make eveything so long and difficult
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Fitz - unfortunately you would need to contact Lycos for help with pointing your domain. Sorry I can't help further.
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have similar problems - I have read everything about setting up an A record but my domain registra Freeparking.co.uk based in the uk, wants an URL for forwarding. Help appreciated.
Photo of texasdad

texasdad

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have a domain registered at hostgator and can not figure this out. Please help