I am finished editing my site (for now) and I would like to publish it on the web. How do I do that?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Photo of SynthaSite FAQ

SynthaSite FAQ

• 67 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Official Response
Click on "Publish Site." A dialog will appear, asking you to select a domain name. Your domain name is your unique address on the World Wide Web. SynthaSite allows you to register a sub-domain for free. Your URL will look something like this: http://mysite.synthasite.com. You also have the option to publish your site to a domain you already own, or download your site and host it elsewhere.
Photo of ryannick

ryannick

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
i am having problems also. i publish my site whiteoakcapitalstratgeis.synthasite.com but it directs me to the free website to do a free website....
Photo of Andrea

Andrea

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That is exactly what I wanted to know. And when I do exactly what Monique said, It says my site is created or whatever. Then, when I click on my URL, it says something like 404 Error or something. I don't know but I am super mad at SynthaSite! No one has helped me with this issue yet!
Photo of Wayne Koorts

Wayne Koorts

• 36 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Andrea I have just posted a reply to the original topic which you raised with this query, please take a look there as there are some suggestions for fixing this.
Photo of tony2sugars

tony2sugars

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
thats exactly what i get and i'm really annoyed....i get a 404 message too...suposed to be hosting with 123.reg but they tell me i need an ftp site to transfer my web page....its not as easy as 123 tho!!!! help help help
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi tony2sugars
Sorry for only seeing this now! It was hidden away as a comment to someone else's issue. I think your error message is different to Andrea's because you are hosting the site somewhere else. Can you tell me if you downloaded your site to FTP it to 123reg? An easier option would be to host your site with us and simply set up an A record with your domain name registrar to point to your site. Please post your details or email them to support@synthasite.com so that we can help you.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Andrea

I see Wayne has directed you to the information we have available on why you would get a 404 error. Please let us know if you found the information you needed and if this solved your problem. We really want to help you get your site up and running.

Best wishes
Monique
Photo of gemwelch2000

gemwelch2000

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I don't get a 404 message, instead when I clink on the URL it takes me to the hosting people's home frontpage... They say I have to spend loads of money on Microsoft Frontpage (however this was discontinues years ago)
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
If you don't get a 404 message then your error is different to the one I explained to Andrea. Can you post your URL so we can check this out for you? Also, please tell me if you are hosting your site with us, or if you downloaded your site and are hosting it yourself. If you built your site with SynthaSite there is no reason for you to purchase other software. All we need to know is what your URL is, what publishing option you are using and what you need to do to set it up correctly. I am sure we can help you to resolve this.
Photo of gemwelch2000

gemwelch2000

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My URL is www.gwmakeupartist.co.uk (I think that what a URL is!). I think the hosting people are Strealine.net (I bought this before I found your site). That's all I can tell you at this point as I don't know what I need to do to set it up correctly - other than designing the front page!! Thankyou for your help
Photo of gemwelch2000

gemwelch2000

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Oh, it may actually be hosted by Daily - that's the homepage I come to when I type my address in.... Sorry I'm being a bit rubbish!
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
You now need to configure your domain name with daily.co.uk - I checked their site and they seem to have good support, and they do offer full DNS control (which is what you want!) You might be able to edit your settings yourself or you would need to call them to set it up for you. Basically, these are the steps you need to take:
1. Log in to your domain registrar
2. Go to the DNS Management page
3. Set up an A Record
4. The IP address of your record must point to: "208.75.208.172"
5. Please note that it can take up to 48 hours (although usually less) for these changes to take effect and you need to contact daily.co.uk if you need help in that regard. Let us know if you need any other help? You're welcome to email us - support@synthasite.com
Photo of KT

KT

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I too am having trouble publishing my site. When I type my domain name into the toolbar I get this - Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '&', expecting T_VARIABLE or '$' in /home/kneadwel/public_html/index.php on line 31 Can anyone help? I did have my webhosting co. change the DNS management A record to forward to synthasite as previous posts had recommended.
Photo of KT

KT

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok, I only get this error message when I try to view my site on Mozilla. I can see it just fine on Internet Explorer. Does anyone know what I need to do to see it on Mozilla?
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi KT - can you send us an email in Support so that we can take a look - click on Help in the top right corner of the Site Builder and then 'Contact Support'.
Photo of steven alston

steven alston

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
i did the whole publishing my site... and it said that it did it. but when i go into a search engine it cant find it... why is that?
Photo of Adrienne

Adrienne

• 106 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Steven:

I'm going to direct you to 2 other Get Satisfaction posts that go into great detail in regards to your question about why a search engine may not initially be finding your site and /or showing it back to you in its results.

http://getsatisfaction.com/SynthaSite...

and here:

I'm sure you'll find the answers here!

~ Adrienne
Photo of Mamma

Mamma

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
My question has not been answered on these pages. I Type "Mammaslovinghands.synthasite.com" into my browser and am taken to synthasite home page. I have also added my website to "Handmadeclothes.com" and when I click on the link there it takes me to synthasites home page
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Mamma

The reason that your synthasite address takes you to the homepage is usually because you have accidentally misspelled your URL (web address)

Could you check on this for me:
1) Click the yellow "update my site" button
2) Your site will be updated and you will see a link to your site.
3) Copy and paste the link and send it to me so I can check it out for you.

I am sure we can get to the bottom of this problem soon and help you get your site up and running.

Best wishes
Monique
Photo of Mamma

Mamma

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
http://MammmasLovingHands.synthasite.com
I have tried re-typing this in and still go to synthasite home page. PLS HELP!!!
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Mamma,

I can see your page! Try hitting the refresh button - that might help.

Let us know if you're still having problems?

Regards,
Marije
Photo of Mamma

Mamma

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I can get to my page to edit, and to see the preview page. The problem is that when I go there as a customer and not the owner I see Synthasite's home page and not mine? I had my sister try and she saw the same thing that I do, Synthasite home page.
Photo of Mamma

Mamma

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
FANTASTIC!!! Iam a Happy-Happy-Happy ole gal! I walked away from this crazy computer and went to my sewing room to do what i know how to do best. I thought about it as i made a really cute new shirt. I came back, went to Synthasite, re-published, re-typed my URL and all is GREAT! Thank0you so much for your patience and support. You guys ROCK!
Photo of Zoey

Zoey

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I created an account and published it. I went back and made some changes and saved. When i go and look at my account, it doesnt show the changes. How do i get the changes to show???
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi Zoey,

After you saved the changes, did you republish your site? You need to click on the big yellow "Update My Site" button in order for any changes to be seen on the internet.

If you did do this and your changes aren't showing, please let us know.
Photo of Zoey

Zoey

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanx alot!!!!!
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
You're welcome.
Photo of glen kew

glen kew

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi please tell me how long it is until my site goes on the web i have done it all woth synthasite so now what i cant find it in a search please help me answer this.
many thanks
glen
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi Glen, probably a dumb question, but have you published your site?
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Wayne has pointed you in the right direction. To answer this more thoroughly we would need to know what the URL of your site is, when you published it, whether it has been indexed yet and what search phrase you are using. If you are still struggling, get back to us with the answer to those questions and we can take a closer look.
Photo of Wayne Koorts

Wayne Koorts

• 36 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi glen,

Please take a look at this link in the FAQ, it explains in detail how to get your site listed with a search engine:

Also see the following page for advice on how to get more traffic to your site:

Regards,
Wayne
Photo of Emily

Emily

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sorry if I am asking what has already been answered. When I point to my website do I have to update the nameservers (this is currently set to my host) as well as setting an A record with the synthasite IP?
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Emily

Many people have this question, so you are definitely not alone! In fact I have just finished answering a similar question on another thread. Here is the link: [private information removed].

The short answer is "no" You do not need to update your name servers. You only need to do the A record.
Photo of Emily

Emily

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sorry, I can't seem to follow that link?
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Emily

My apologies. Here is the correct link: http://getsatisfaction.com/SynthaSite...
Photo of Emily

Emily

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
thanks, think thats what I have done - I'll wait and see.
Photo of Emily

Emily

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm Back. Looks like I have done somthing wrong as i am getting this message

Index of /
cgi-bin/
Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.chhardlandscaping.co.uk Port 80

any ideas where I should start?
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi Emily,

We are currently experiencing a problem with publishing. If you could give us some time to create a fix for the problem you should then be able to publish without difficulty.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and frustration this is causing you.
Photo of Emily

Emily

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
no problem, thought i'd done it wrong!
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
It's fixed now, so it should work for you.
Photo of Emily

Emily

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sorry, I updated but still get that message so I think it is me, could it be to do with the A record I set up?
Photo of Emily

Emily

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am still getting this msg?

Index of /
cgi-bin/
Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.chhardlandscaping.co.uk Port 80
Photo of Emily

Emily

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am still getting this msg?

Index of /
cgi-bin/
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Emily, can you send an email to support@synthasite.com? Please tell me the name of your site, and the name of your domain registrar, and I'll see if we can sort it out.
Photo of Arlyn Hara Rundell

Arlyn Hara Rundell

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
hi im new in making my own website..i try yola and i follow all the steps, i published it ,it says i did,but if i verify it to webmaster central or google it says cannot find...do i missing something here?help me please...
Photo of Nazlie

Nazlie

• 1721 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Hi Arlyn

If you have just published your website and immediately do a search on Google, then you will not find your site. It takes a while for newly-published sites to be indexed by the search engines.

I see that you have mentioned that you are trying to verify the Google Webmaster code. Please make sure that you have added the code correctly. We have a tutorial that tutorial that explains it in more detail here: Why is Google Webmaster not verifying?.

I hope this helps to resolve the problem. If you need more help, please let us know.

Thank you
Nazlie