I deleted my site by mistake

• Question
  • Updated 11 years ago
  • Answered
Archived

This conversation was archived and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

I had 2 sites that used same skins.

I wanted to deleted site B but deleted site A because they looked the same.

What should i do?
Photo of Terry

Terry

• 26 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Terry,

If you have deleted your site and you want it back, you will have to build it from the beginning again.

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
This really terrifies me!!

It is way to easy to delete a site.
What if I were to lose my laptop or it got stolen?
With the press of a button somebody could easily delete my site(s)

I know I need to back up my sites regularly, but the problem is, I can't
upload it back to SynthaSite and would have to host it somewhere else.

I suggest, maybe some sort of secondary password, or email confirmation??
Or allowing us to re-upload our sites (obviously after checking code validity)
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
I agree - delete should be in some kind of menu, not so easy to get to.
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Good comment Boomer. While we are working on a way to restore deleted sites, we should make it harder to delete sites. I will pass this on right away!
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Is your site still available on the internet after deleting? Or has it unpublished?
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
If you try to delete a published site you will receive an additional warning message notifying you that your subdomain will be released for general use if you delete your site (if you used a subdomain). If a site is still on the internet this is a sure indication that it has not been deleted from the account.
Photo of Kershnee

Kershnee

• 2087 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Hi Lee,

The site is not available on the internet after deleting it. If you go to the URL of a deleted site, there will be a placeholder page in place.
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Delete The Delete
I think this delete should be removed

it seems it would save alot of accidents happening.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Thanks Monique,

It's been 4 months now (days and nights) of data collecting for my new directory site, and I'm hopeing to finish it by the end of the year.
Yes, it's going to take that long. It's a lot of data collecting and picture uploading. (hundreds so far)

So far it's 3 interlinked sites, but will most probably become more.
One site is running in an "iframe" on the other and I have another
site which is almost a sub directory of the first. My new prediction
is that the site will be close to 1000 pages once completeted and I've
so far only done about 60 pages. Got a long way to go....

If I had to loose all of this by some "disgruntled employee" or one of
the kids, or from my laptop getting swiped, I don't know what I will do.

I know you've answered my question, but I just wanted to add why this is so
important to me. The more work I put into this site the more paranoid I become.

I'm with Lee on this one, and it just so happens he also has a directory site.
I see the amount of work on your site, Lee. Been there! Actually I'm still there!
Directory sites never really look pretty, but there's a lot of work that goes into
the data base. How many pages you got there Lee?. I see easily 100 plus.
Photo of Rich

Rich

• 237 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Just opininion from here, i think the best way to prevent accident like that, is to stop synthasiters to make new website on same account. -pokes-
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Huh?
Photo of Rich

Rich

• 237 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I mean synthasite gave us a chance to host unlimited website on 1 account thats why most synthasiter's deleted their site by mistake or accident because they confused having more than one website on one account.

Just my opionion=)
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
I'm more concerned about someone else deleting my site(s)
Photo of Alex

Alex

• 3448 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
i think thats a BAD idea, that means i would have to have i dunno 12 accounts with synthasite, i dont have 12 different emails. just make it HARDER to delete a site.
Photo of Sean Crotty at SynthaSite

Sean Crotty at SynthaSite

• 46 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I like lee's suggestion of removing the "Delete" button that appears next to each site on the "My Sites" page.

We put that there really as a convenience for each user, so they could do all of the major operations on a site right from one place. But if it is too easy to delete something by mistake, and people are okay with losing that convenience, then we could remove that button.

I just walked over and talked with our lead interface engineer on this and we discussed other things we could as well, such as adding an extra confirmation dialogue box asking "Do you REALLY want to delete your site?" and making the default button in the dialogue be "Do not delete.".

To avoid deleting the wrong site, if you have two sites that look the same, you could create a separate user account for each major site, especially ones that take months of effort, like Boomer's. This requires a second e-mail address, but seems worth that hassle, given how much work people put into their big sites. That would also enable you to have an account that's safe for family members to play around with and another account that only you access.

Seán
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Thanks for looking at this Seán.

Part of the reason for me wanting this was because I was thinking of handing some of the monotonous work over to someone else.

I really got to trust them, or otherwise have some other security measure in place. Any alternative you guys come up with would be better than what is presently in use.
Photo of Sean Crotty at SynthaSite

Sean Crotty at SynthaSite

• 46 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi Boomer,

We've seen that a number of people want to have more than one person with access to their SynthaSite account. And they usually want to do it so more than one person can collaborate on creating a site, either say people in a group or club, or one person helping another with site creation.

We haven't yet set up the ability for collaboration within a single account, but are seriously looking at it. Some of the questions around this are:

Should everyone have the same level of access, or should there be roles and responsibilities (such as one master account who is the only one who can delete a site)?
What types of roles are needed? Site Owner, Site Contributor, Hired Site Designer, Blog Poster, etc.
How to handle multiple people accessing an account at the same time, to make sure simultaneous changes don't overwrite each other inappropriately.

If you have any suggestions about such considerations, it'd be helpful to hear them.

Seán
Photo of UK Duke

UK Duke, Champion

• 3321 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
this is very intresting - i wish i had something clever to suggest, but i don't, but i do feel you should continue working on it. As sites grow they eventually may need more than 1 person adding to it. some kind of user and admin situation may work - Lee.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Hi Seán,

Peter, rightfully, has created a new post on this topic.
I have replied there. Apologies for the delay!
http://getsatisfaction.com/SynthaSite...