I have deleted a page from my site pages and I can still visit it if I type it's url in... Why is this?

• Problem
  • Updated 10 years ago
  • In Progress
I didn't know it was like this, until I clicked an old link on one of my pages and it carried me to this page. I guess if I didn't do this I wouldn't know it was still there, but it's still weird... It really sucks because if I have old links on pages that I do not catch that consist of old urls and people click them, they will be seeing stuff I do not want them to see, stuff that I thought I deleted...
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • hoping this will change...

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Great! Thanks : )
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Ok, I know you guys are still working on this, but I just want to say that I probably will be creating new pages with my old links, so that I can at least control the way they look, instead of having the old deleted ones still on my site... If the old urls have to be there, I at least need to them to look like I choose for them to look, and not how they looked upon deletion... I will wait a little while before I do this so that I can see if yola has fixed the old url problem, but I will not be able to wait too long... Thanks!
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
We should have it fixed for you in the next few hours - I am on it!
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
We've fixed your site - if the pages are still visible, can you try updating your site before trying again?
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
YAYYY!!! Woohooo!!!!!! Those two are gone, hope I don't have anymore I can't remember! Will you have to do this each time???

Thanks Yola : )
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Nope, the problem is fixed and you won't have to do it each time. If you see different, please let us know.
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
oK Thanks!!!! : )
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hey you guys... : (
I just got finished reimplementing an old html script I made for my website a little while back... I decided to use it again, so I changed the old link names to the new ones I've renamed them as, but one got pass me I didn't catch it at first, so when I went to check my link flow... Guess what, I clicked a link and it was old and I could still see one of my old deleted pages... Despite the two you've deleted for me, our old urls are still out there in internet land. What's with this?

Am I the only one who cares?
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Ok, I just checked the search engines and i'm seeing most of my old links, I've got like 4 different site designs going around. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is so incredibly bad!
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Yola_User_A

Can you please give us a list of the old links that you have deleted from your site that you're still seeing on Google?

We will have to look into why this is happening. Be be assured that this is something that we are not taking lightly. We will address this as soon as we can.
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I will compile a list and send them to you... May take a while.

Thanks
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
And... I don't think that will be all even of them when I do send it, but I will try.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Try to think of many as you can. That would be very helpful. You can send your list to support@yola.com. We really appreciate your patience with this. I'm sure that it's quite frustrating to see this again and again. We do apologize for this.
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Ok, I changed my mind, I will send you 13 links, but I can't sit here and compile all my old links, it's not going to be to good if I'm asked to do that right now. I'm seeing all my old links as I sit here and think about what they were and type them in, and it's soooooooooo frustrating.

Yola please fix this on your end by getting rid of pages we delete, am I crazy or when I delete a page, shouldn't it no longer exist, shouldn't if you type it in the browser should not be able to find it? Is it crazy to think that, or even just tell me what I am doing that makes this happen or can do to end it if it is somehow my fault! PLEASE

Should I unpublish my site and republish it, will that help me? I need this to end.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
I just wanted to let you know that we have received your email. While I know that you're wanting a solution quickly, unfortunately, this may not happen. I will need to get our engineers to investigate this and get back to you.

In the meantime, these links that you're seeing.. have they been ones that you have recently deleted? Have you cleared your cache since they've been deleted?

I know that this has been very very frustrating. I really thank you for taking the time to work with us as we try to figure out what's going on.
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
No, I deleted them a long time ago 3-4 weeks probably... I never use IE so I looked at them in that browser to see if they are still there and they are. Would doing that be something that would let you know they are still there? Because they would have never been pulled up in IE, therefore they wouldn't be in any "cache" correct?...
... I found a couple of the links through a search engine and it was not google and the others I just typed in to see if they were there.

I understand but If I keep seeing them I will be back...

Yola can't just delete mine as I remember them and send them the links and leave everyone else's out there and even mine that I do not remember.
Photo of Stephanie Bartee

Stephanie Bartee

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I was just wondering if any of the people that had this problem made links to these pages on other non-deleted pages of their website. If so maybe the link still exists if it wasn't deleted properly. I noticed that when you delete the picture or text that you made into a link, it doesn't always delete the link.
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Stephanie - if you have a link to a page/picture on another page of your site, and you delete the first page/picture - then yes, you would need to go and edit the link. Is that the information you were looking for?
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
No, I don't think that's the problem here, once you press delete and then you confirm it, the pages you've deleted should be gone. We're talking about complete webpages, not links, they only want me to send them my "links" to the pages so they can take a look at the pages and delete them.
Photo of Stephanie Bartee

Stephanie Bartee

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Marije, you're an idiot. Where in there was a question? I was giving an idea of how to fix the problem, and you pretty much just said what I said, buy in an annoying way.
and to Yola_user_A- yes you were talking about actual pages, and I was talking about pages too, but if you made a link to that PAGE but then deleted the PAGE then if the link still exists, it has to go somewhere, so it holds onto that page. I suggested that IF you made a link to the DELETED PAGE, then try to delete that link and see if it helps. NO one pays attention to what they're reading here.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Stephanie,
The only reason I am not going to delete your previous comment is because I want to reply to you.

You have made some very rude comments on various threads today, and even if you are feeling frustrated, that is just not acceptable in this forum. If you cannot rephrase your questions/comments to be less argumentative and rude, then you will find the community will not be open to providing you with help.

Please take a look around this forum at the people who participate here. They do not personally attack each other or employees with comments such as "you're an idiot". This can be a very helpful place for Yola users, and I hope you will choose to stick around and treat others here with respect.

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Um I'm sorry but I still don't see how this is relevant, to me it shouldn't matter if a link is somewhere if the page doesn't exist you should see a message like this...
We're sorry we cannot find this page, or We're sorry this page doesn't exist, like what normally happens when you click a link to a page that has been deleted or doesn't exist on any other site - that's what I was saying... You can tell this is true, because if it weren't Yola wouldn't be trying to fix it and it wouldn't be so with other sites, also when I try to visit the link now either by clicking it or by typing it, it should still be there right, BUT it's not, it says, We're sorry this page does not exist....
BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION.

This is all so old, and I'm sure no one cares anymore. I don't.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Yola_User_A,

Ok, so I am jumping in a bit late on this thread, and I see you have been working with people via email as well.

Can you tell me just a couple of your urls that are still showing up. And, are the pages still showing as published, or is it just that he urls are showing up in the search engine. If the pages are still showing up in the search engine, that could be normal because of search engine caching.

If you can give me a few urls I would like to check this out.

Emmy
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I really do not know what anyone should be currently discussing this for, but I wasn't really talking you to when I made the comment about this situation being old, if that helps, but anyway...
Emmy I don't have any deleted pages anymore that I can find, Yola has deleted all my old pages that I could still find, most of my pages weren't indexed in the search engines... Google just added my site this week and the pages were deleted a long time ago.
This is how this all started
I made scripts for elements I wanted for my pages...
I ended up not using them so I saved them for later.
Later when I wanted to use the script, I placed it on my site, I changed the old links, BUT I missed one, didn't realize it.
So when I went to check my link flow, and started clicking links...
I clicked the link (the one I missed) and got carried directly to an ancient/deleted page.
I didn't understand why I clicked old links I found on my own site, and ended up on pages I deleted. Then I did see some deleted pages in Yahoo's search engine and as I remembered my old urls, I kept finding them. WHY DELETED URLS ARE STILL OUT THERE SOMEWHERE IS STILL A MYSTERY TO ME. lol All in all, I just wanted them gone, and now they are. Thanks
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Good, I'm glad it's all worked out now!
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
; )
Photo of Rob.B

Rob.B

• 281 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I can still see a page I deleted weeks ago, not via search by typing the URL http://rtb2walks.co.uk/test2.php. It's not cached as I got a neighbour to try and he can see it too.

Sorry to say this but I don't think this fixed to be honest.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
I see it too Rob. I think Yola will have to take another look at this.
Photo of Rob.B

Rob.B

• 281 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks for the comment Boomer, I thourght I was starting to loose the plot.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Maybe the deleted page will be flushed out next time GoogleBot makes a visit to your site. I think GoogleBot doesn't like my travel site. Forsite gets crawled regurlarly. I have the opposite - I've created pages that don't show up yet. I even believe in Santa Claus ;-)
Photo of Santa Claus

Santa Claus

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
He believes in you too Boomer... ;)
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi Rob,

I will chase this up with the engineers for you on Monday. We want to get the bottom of this, and apologize for the inconvenience. We will update here when we know more.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Aww, Thanks Santa!

Please could you forward this to GoogleBot for me.

Photo of Rob.B

Rob.B

• 281 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Boomer

Googlebot isn't too hapy with my site either, but I don't see what that has to do with the page still reponding from the URL, especially as it has never been linked to from anywhere in my site - it was a page for tseting ideas, idealy it should never have been published. Perhaps a do not publish check box may help for those who use pages to test ideas but never intend them to be released into puplic cyberspace.

Never mind.
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Hi Rob - we've fixed the problem with your specific site and removed the deleted page. Unfortunately there seems to be more work to be done on this bug when our engineers had thought it was fixed - I'm sure there will be a permanent solution very soon.
Photo of Rob.B

Rob.B

• 281 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks for the update Marije,much appreciated, as long as Yola relises this fix needs more than just deleting the odd reoported URL
Photo of Rob.B

Rob.B

• 281 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Ruth.

It's not a massive issue as it is a harmless test page, but it could be awkward if I really needed to get rid of a page. My get out plan is to publish an empty place holder page to the same url.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon, best of luck.

Rob.
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yeah Rob I've been trying to remember some more of my old urls but I can't, somehow I knew that more pages were probably out there. I will be doing the same thing publishing blank pages for old urls. I knew from the way they wanted to know the deleted urls that they might have just deleted mine and left the "bug" alone. This has to be fixed internally every person with deleted pages can't send them their old links to be deleted. At this point, this gets a whatever from me, I don't care that much anymore - If I find more old urls I will just have to send them to Yola to delete.

Thanks for the update Rob. : )
Photo of Rob.B

Rob.B

• 281 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I can see why you may come to such a conclusion, and you are possibly right, but if we don't trust in Yola then we all have an issue. I'll give them the benefit of my trust until they break it.

Rob
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Nah, I don't think I have an issue, Yola has the issue, I just want them to at least tell all of the people on yola that they could have deleted pages out there somewhere and not just hide this issue in this thread, it's not good to just appease one or two users by deleting theirs. So NO we don't all have an issue if we don't trust Yola, Yola does. I love Yola, but I don't understand the way they are handling this, maybe I shouldn't care, maybe it's too big for them to handle, who knows, but if they would just say that, that would be nice. All in all, I no longer care, I almost regret informing them about it, maybe I should have just let people find out they still have deleted urls on their own. So much for trying to get a problem solved and help people.

Rob & Yola, good luck.
Photo of Rob.B

Rob.B

• 281 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
If it too big for them to handle then they shouldn't be in this business. It is sortable they just need to do it and do it 100%
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yup, my point exactly 100%.
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
@Rob.B and @Yola_User_A - we appreciate your concern and hope we can clear some of the air. Some bugs are quick and easy to fix and we try to get those fixes out fast. Other bugs can affect other parts of our service and we would rather be sure that everything is ok before releasing it.

If a bug (like this one) does not have a huge effect on your website - ie. your site is still up, you are still able to edit it and there is no extreme threat to the service, then it may take slightly longer for the fix to go out. We thought it had been fixed properly, it wasn't and we want to make sure that the next fix is right with no adverse effect to your sites.

We're very happy when our customers report bugs and help us to get them fixed as soon as possible. In the meantime, we ask for your patience and constructive comments until it is fixed.
Photo of Yola_User_A

Yola_User_A

• 276 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Excuse me I don't mean any harm, but please leave me out of this, I no longer care. Nothing about my comments were not "constructive", and I am patient, if I wasn't I'd be gone by now. Don't fix it if you want, do fix it, whatever. I have my own opinions, my own choice of comments etc. Don't appreciate people trying to tell me how to feel and what to say. If anyone else feels the need to reply/comment, comment to Rob not me. If I have any issues with this I will just send them to support, I'm tired of this thread. Thanks
Photo of Rob.B

Rob.B

• 281 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
My opinion is that this is serious, and should never have been overlooked. If you want me to leave Yola than say so, I'll find another hosting company, but you really need to sort this properly weather I am a customer or not!

Down to you now Yola, I am being constructive, please dont say someting is fixed until is proven to be so or people will loose confidence.

Perhaps I should find another host as I am not being hostile just pointng out the obvious.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
We agree this is serious and we are still working to solve the larger issue as Marije pointed out above. We're sorry to hear you're losing confidence in us but we're doing all we can to resolve the problem and appreciate your patience as we do so.