If I Duplicate a page & Delete the old = 404?

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
Archived

This conversation was archived and is no longer visible to community members.

If I have a problem webpage in my sitebuilder too hard to fix, can I rebuild it by saving a duplicated copy and try to rebuild it one widget at a time? Or is it just going to copy the bad with the good and still be a problem? If no, then do I delete the old page and if so will I encounter a 404 for the deleted page or will the new duplicate cover it and bypass 404's? Thanks for your help,Jan.
Photo of Jan

Jan

• 36 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • wrestling with a bad page

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Jan

First of all, if you create a new page with exactly the same file name as the existing one, you won't get a 404 error.

I can't comment on how it will work to save a duplicate of the page and rebuild the page one widget at a time, because I don't know how badly broken the page is. There is certainly no harm in trying!

Just make sure you have a record of the page URL that you are trying to to rebuild and when you are happy with the new page, save it over the existing broken page and you are good to go.
Photo of Jan

Jan

• 36 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks so much Monique, I so appreciate it. I will give it a try while I wait for Andre (case # 177489) to get back to me on widgets I can't delete.. that was early this a.m. Sincie I haven't heard back yet, I thought maybe I should prepare for the worst or at least be educated for any future problem. Blessings, Jan.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Once bad code has infected a page it can take a very long time to debug. Often longer than just rebuilding the page itself. I followed up on the case number that André has been helping you on. He is working on it, but may have to get engineering help, and this could slow your case down for days. Engineers have deadlines they have to work towards for developing our software, and it is very hard to find one who has several hours to devote to a broken page. I am not saying this to discourage you, and if there is anything we can do from our side, we will. However, I don't want to leave you waiting for a fix that may take a very long time, when you could have rebuilt the page in a much shorter time. Using a test page, and rebuilding bit by bit is probably your best option at this stage.
Photo of Jan

Jan

• 36 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the update Monique.
I have successfully fixed my page. Just so you know my problem page was also a Blog page and I figured out that must be the reason the save button did not offer me the option of save as to duplicate the page.

I also discovered that the reason I could not delete anything was not any bad code this time, but stems back to the 2-column widget that has been acting up for some time appearing and disappearing and would only be stable in either the Compatibility mode on Internet Explorer or in FireFox.

That then reminded me when I went to revamp the page and install the mp3 player yola helped me get working I had dragged the old audio files out of the 2-col. widget into a new location on the page. I did that for all 6 programs, including 2 text widgets. I put in 6 new players to replace the old audio files. When I went to delete the old audio files I ran into the problem and they would not delete.

What I did then was drag the old audio files back up to the top to a place located well above any of the players hoping it was clear of bugs up there. It worked and all of them deleted perfectly including that particular offending 2-col widget box.

So whatever is in the 2-col widget being used in IE regular veiw seems to act unstable by appearing and disappearing unless in compatibility mode.
Hope that helps anyone else experiencing similar problems. So all is well with my page now.
Have a great evening,
Blessings, Jan.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Thanks for your hard work on this and for taking the time to come back and let us know how you resolved your problem! I am sure this will be helpful to others.
Photo of Jan

Jan

• 36 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Your welcome.. just glad I could contribute something helpful after you guys are always helping me out.

I have an added question that came out of this exercise....

The pages that are in "blog format" in Sitebuilder don't offer the option to save as for the purpose of duplicating it to fix problems for eg.... Is there another way to duplicate a blog page and still avoid 404's... If I were to make a new page (since I can't "save as") and give it the identical title would that bypass 404's?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Blessings, Jan
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello Jan,
If you duplicate a page (but re-building it) you won't be able to give it the same exact name as the page you are duplicating, you will need to give it a new name. 404 happen when you try to go to a page that does not exist. So if someone tried to go to the url mysite.com/page2.php and there was no page2.php on the site, then a 404 page would be given. Please let me know if this does not answer your question.

Emmy
Photo of Jan

Jan

• 36 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Emmy,
Thanks for the update. I'm still a bit lost as to how to fix a "blog type page" when the dashboard does NOT give me a "save as" (or duplicate) option, whereas on a regular webpage it does give me that option and so 404's in that case are not a concern??

Is there a way then to redo Blog type pages especially when having troubles like inability to delete widgets due to bad code or some bug?
Or maybe what only made it possible in my case was my good fortune to find at the top of my page a safe zone above the bad lower areas... Would that be my only hope on Blog type pages then?

Hope I'm explaining it ok. Thanks for all your help.
Blessings,
Jan
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
If you are wanting to rebuild the whole page I would say that you just need to create a brand new page and give it whatever name you would like, then rebuild the page piece by piece, then delete the old blog page, and you can then rename the new blog page to have the name of the page you just deleted. Please let me know if that does not answer your question.
Photo of Jan

Jan

• 36 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Emmy,
Sounds like that would work ok and that then would help me to avoid a 404 which would be a work-around for a Blog page format.... similar to the "save as" or "duplicate" option of a normal web page in the sitebuilder? Is that correct?

Thanks so much for helping me with this. Look forward to this last confirmation and then I will go and redo a problem page. :>)
Blessings,
Jan.
Photo of Samuel51

Samuel51

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The Duplicate Files Deleter, gives you the option of automatic deletion of all the duplicate files, it is not recommended that you carry this out. Instead choose the other options which give you the flexibility of choosing a location on a drive or using a detachable USB device to store the data. Once you have selected the place where you want to store the originals, you can be done with the duplicate files. The Duplicate Files Deleter is extremely effective software that will not only free up your precious storage space, but will also give a boost to the performance of your PC. So go ahead and download the Duplicate Files Deleter right away!

You can download it from this site : http://duplicatefilesdeleter.com/
Photo of Stefan

Stefan

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Samuel51

I've seen that you've posted this link more than once on this forum. It's okay if you point out helpful websites to other Yola users, however, if we get the impression that you're using the forum to actually promote a commercial website, we must ask you to refrain from doing so. Otherwise we will need to remove your posts.

Thank you for your understanding.