Inserting page with direct link to (non Yola) blog

• Question
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Answered
I would like to add a page with an immediate link to my blog - so when the user clicks on "my blog", they are taken directly to my blog (this is easier than reformatting all my blog for Yola). Is this possible? Thanks
Photo of mjc2002

mjc2002

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Justine

Justine

• 751 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Hi mjc2002,

You can add external links from your Yola page in two ways: using a text link, or using a picture/image link. I'm providing both methods, so you can try them out and see which one suits you best.

Here's how to add text links:

1. Drag and drop a Text Widget onto your screen. It's in the "Basic" folder on the Sidebar to the right of your screen.
2. In the Text Widget, type in the text that you want people to click on (this will be your link text). Highlight the link text, and then click on the "Link" button (it's the 10th button from the left in the Text Editing Toolbar, and looks like the link in a chain).
3. The "Choose a Link" dialog box will open and you will be given four options: You can link to a page on your site; an external URL; an email address; or a file stored in your File Manager.
4. Once you have selected the option you would like to link to, in your case it will be an external link, and added the URL of your blog, click on "OK".
5. To check that your link is working, preview your page and click on the link.

We also have a tutorial that deals with this in more depth, which you can find here: http://www.yola.com/tutorials/article....

Here's how you do it using a picture or an image:

1. Add the picture to your page, using the Picture Widget.
2. Click on the "Edit" link on the left-hand corner of the Picture Widget.
3. Click on "Choose a Link" button and make your selection from the link options provided.
4. The Link Editor dialog box will open, add a link to one of the four categories and then click "OK".
5. Then click on "Save".

To check that your link is working, preview your page and then click on the link.

If you insert your picture in a Text Widget (instead of a Picture Widget) you can turn it into a link by selecting the picture and then clicking the "Link" button on the Text Editing Toolbar. From there, follow the same steps as outlined above.

Hope this helps!
Photo of mjc2002

mjc2002

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks a lot, Justine. You explain things very clearly; better than I did, it seems . . .

What I would like to do is to take the user directly to my blog as soon as s/he clicks on the page ("the book - dayrealing" in TheOtherMikeChurch.yolasite.com).

In other words, I don't want to open a page at all for the user to click on a link - I know how to do that already.

I'm not sure if I'm making myself understood?!

The root of all this is I've found Yola's blog completely destroys the formatting in my Word documents, so I'm reluctantly going to continue using Blogger for my actual blog. (I can copy and paste directly from Word to Blogger with minimal changes to the format of the text).

Thanks for any further guidance or support. I appreciate your efforts.

Mike
Photo of Justine

Justine

• 751 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Hi Mike,

I think I do understand what you mean. You would like to have the navigation link for "the book - dayrealing" to go directly to your blog when a visitor clicks to it.

That link is located in your navigation bar, which is linked to all the pages in your website. It is not possible to change the URL for a page in the navigation bar as these are embedded within the navigation bar.

If you would like the link to your blog to be a focal point, perhaps you can consider adding an image to your site which advertises your blog. Visitors can click on it and be taken directly to your Blogger page. Having a clickable picture can also benefit you in terms of driving more traffic to your blog, because the picture is bigger, and more eye-catching, than the link in the navigation bar.

I understand your frustration at your document formatting not displaying correctly in your Yola blog. The reason your Word documents are losing the formatting when you paste them into your Yola site, is because when you copy and paste rich text directly from MS Word (or another word processor) onto your site, this brings along a whole lot of unwanted formatting that is not web friendly and can easily break your page. This would be the case with any browser-based text editor you might use, not just Yola. It is a universal website building problem. It's also always a good idea to keep a copy of your text in a .txt file from Notepad so that you have a backup copy kept on your PC. The solution in this case is to delete the existing text and then re-add it to your page following the steps above.

I understand this might not be suitable, particularly if you have formatted your text in a specific way and in that respect Blogger does sound like a good option, particularly if you can paste from MS Word without losing your formatting.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you the exact answer you were looking for regarding linking to your blog, but I hope my suggestion is helpful!
Photo of mjc2002

mjc2002

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks a million, Justine. Some excellent explanations about how websites and blogs differ, etc. Very useful, and I took your advice to stick in a nice photo. Thanks!
Photo of Andi North, Mangopear Media

Andi North, Mangopear Media

• 782 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
You could try adding a re-direct code to your site. You would need to add a new page with a title of "Blog", add it to the Navigation, and paste the code below into the page. DO NOT Include the <!--- and --->, these stop this forum from re-directing to your page.

<!---
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://www.yourdomain.com/index.html">
--->

I shall disect the code for you...

<!---meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" --->
This tells the browser to re-direct your page.

<!--- content="0; --->
The content part is needed, the 0 refers to the amount of seconds that you want the computer to wait before re-directing you. I would recommend that you put about 5 or 10, add a nice message to your blog page (on the Yola Site) and this also allows you enough time to edit the amount of time if refreshes when you are in the Yola Sitebuilder, otherwise it will re-direct the Yola Sitebuilder too. When you are editing the page, I recommend that you change the refresh time to about 1000 and save every 2 minutes.

<!--- url=http://www.yourdomain.com/index.html"> --->
This is the URL you would like the browser to re-direct to.

Hope this helps, and that I have explained it well enough.

Good Luck,

Andi
Photo of mjc2002

mjc2002

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Brilliant, Andi! And a mini-lesson in HTML at the same time. Guess what? it worked! Problem solved. Thanks a million. Mike
Photo of Andi North, Mangopear Media

Andi North, Mangopear Media

• 782 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
No problem, glad it worked, and that I could help.