Link Editor Problem (am linking from a word to a picture)

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Answered
I was so happy and thankful (still am) of the direction Dan gave me of how to link from a card title to bring up a picture of the corresponding trading card but what transpired after that just went splat and many hours of bad words :(

I linked the first card name and the pic came up so I was happy happy and ran back and posted here, then I hit a brick wall......I uploaded a ton of pics to a brand new Photobucket account and really had no idea which of the links I was to use to link it back to the card title, be it "direct link, image link" who knows - not me obviously :(

I tried a few different ways but unfortunately after I linked the very first card title and even though I tried both from an "external URL" meaning Photobucket and also directly from my puter, each card name was appearing as highlighted so I was assuming this was my way of knowing that they were linked. When I went to check the dozen I was testing I got the hand/finger pointer when I hovered over the card title, it also highlighted and underlined ALL of the cards I had linked with their picture, I clicked on the 1st one and then the 2nd and 3rd and so on - ALL of them just keep showing me the picture that belongs to the 1st card title :(

Any advice please ?

Also now I have been informed that I don't really need to be uploading to Photobucket because I should have plenty of space here to store the pics of the cards.

Thanks in advance.

INDI
Photo of INDI

INDI

• 189 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • frustrated - totally

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello Indi,
If I am understanding you correctly, you want each of your text links to link to it's corresponding image, but right now each link is going to the same image. It sounds like you may have just choose the same picture for each link. Can you try creating the links again; you can either upload the images to your File Manager first, or get them directly from your computer.

1. Highlight the text
2. Click on the Insert Link icon
3. Choose the File Option (click the little icon with the three dots)
3. Choose to get the file from the File Manager or From Computer (if you get the file from your computer it will automatically go into the File Manager)
4. Choose the image
5. Click Ok
6. Now repeat these steps for another one

You can upload all of your images into the File Manager and don't have to have then elsewhere if you don't want.

Please let us know if this doesn't answer your question or if you have any trouble.

Emmy
Photo of INDI

INDI

• 189 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you so much for replying, yes you understood correctly what I am TRYING to achieve. I have a list of trading cards and was hoping that when someone clicked on the card title it would display a picture of the particular card. I definately didn't use the same link for each one because I was selecting them individually from photobucket.

I will try this again but will have to do it a little later, it's Sunday morning here and I have much to do so for now this will have to wait a couple of hours but I will definately come back and let you know how I got on.

Thank you again for your assistance.

INDI
Photo of INDI

INDI

• 189 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Well I just couldn't wait a couple of hours to try again.....lol. I think I know where part of the problem was and that was in the file name of some of the cards because when I just tried uploading to file manager it said about some illegal characters so I renamed the cards and started afresh - happy happy again, working beautifully :)

I do however have a question re the file manager, how do I get the pictures into a folder or will they remain on that main area?

Also with thousands of cards I'm still a lil panicky about how much space I have on Synthasite to upload?

If I choose to upload to photobucket which code on that do I use to link it to my site, would it be "direct link" or "image link" ?

I was concerned with the amount of space I'd be using up on my computer if I had to keep all the card pics in My Pictures so was hoping to have them stored elsewhere. If I did happen to upload to file manager and I then went and deleted the folder off My Pictures would that affect my pics in file manager, sort of like breaking a link?

Thank you AGAIN in advance but I'm just so damn happy I got the linking thing cruising along :)

INDI
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Indi,

Job well done!

Always a good thing to have a precious collection of photos as you describe duplicated in other media or other holding sites. Most would recommend both. ie holding site Picassa, Photobucket or others plus a local storage be it on your PC or cd etc. Things can go wrong, not likely but has happened.

The issue with size isn't a problem with Synthasites file manager. You can create folders within the file manager to organise your files (photos) and it's a very good idea, a relatively recent upgrade.

The photos once uploaded to Synthasites file manager are independent of the original files. You could change the directory; filenames; remove them and that wouldn't affect them in the file manager.

With such a large collection I would use image link as this embeds the image into your web-site. If you use direct link with so many images you may find the loading is very slow if the speed goes down. As Synthasite has no limits to web-site size this option of "image link" is a good method
Photo of Ruth

Ruth

• 2819 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Thanks Peter
Photo of INDI

INDI

• 189 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
* Shaq I can't post my site URL as it's not a published site, I'm still in the very early stages of creating my site. I have a test site on the go which is where I am playing and trying all the different options, widgets, linking etc until i'm happy, then I will replicate it over to the 'real' site that will be published, so until it's just a lot of bits and pieces.

I have the linking issue sort now also Shaq - thanx for the offer.

* Peter, thank you for explaining in a term that even I could understand....lol...puter literate I am not :( Appreciate your input here.

Cheers.

INDI