Mobile and Facebook formatting

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Solved
Hi Yola, I've recently upgraded to Yola Silver to enable certain features, however when I publish my site to Facebook or mobile device it screws up the formatting and it does not look good at all, (seems to remove one of the background layers so can not read text + other issues). I have also noticed that when I publish my site to mobile device the site shows on my regular web browser with the mobile formatting, not the regular site. Again not pretty. So I have turned these features off for now just in case I am doing something wrong? Help!
Photo of Amber Ward

Amber Ward

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Amber

I have tried to replicate the mobile publishing issue you are reporting for both of your published sites, but I wasn't able to. When I enable your mobile site and publish, I get the normal website on my computer browser, and the mobile version on my iPhone and Nokia smartphone. I have left the mobile site enabled for you to try again. Maybe it was a temporary glitch. Please clear your cache and try to open your site on your computer again, it should now show you the computer version. If not, please let us know.

As I cannot access your Facebook page, could you please provide a screenshot for us to have a look? Thank your for working through this with us.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello again

I've just found out that custom HTML coding on your website can cause a problem on your Facebook page. I can see you have that script running the Web Toolbar by Wibiya. That may be the reason for the issue. I will try to find out if there is a workaround for you, but I suspect that you would need to remove that script to view your website on Facebook properly.
Photo of the_pete

the_pete

• 65 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey Amber

I'm an engineer that worked on the team that built the Mobile and Facebook Pages features.

We've noticed that HTML widgets are not playing nicely with our Facebook Pages feature - and Custom Site CSS isn't working well with Mobile or Facebook. This is because on average, this code is meant for modifying the style your regular site comes with, and so when it's added to a different style (Mobile and Facebook each have unique styles with unique width constraints) - it doesn't work very well.

Because of this trend, we'll be disabling HTML widgets and Site CSS on Mobile devices and Facebook. This will mean that the Mobile and Facebook versions of your site will be missing some content, but hopefully it'll just be content that was used to customize your original style.

The release that fix these issues is expected to go out in the next two weeks.

Cheers
/Pete
Photo of KanThaiDecor

KanThaiDecor

• 2402 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
So how about the html code from Google Checkout or PayPal Add To Cart buttons? Will those be disabled?
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Does that also includes the Online Store widget?
Photo of Amber Ward

Amber Ward

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. Have taken screenshots for you of how the site shows on iPhone (cannot see text). I cleared my cache as suggested this morning then opened my site it shows the mobile site in my browser. And finally Facebook. Main issues across the three is the background layer disappears so you cannot read the text.

Hope the images help!

Photo of Jase

Jase

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Now that my website is completely how I wanted, I now realise that when I want to publish to my site to Facebook, I seem to loose the custom CSS codes.

Is there a fix to this or is this something Yola is currently looking into to fix?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Custom CSS and Publishing to Facebook.
Photo of Mark N

Mark N

• 466 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Hi Guys,

I have two questions regarding Mobile sites;

1. Does anyone know when the fix is going to be published as it's now been over two weeks and I really need to promote my site on Twitter which has a lot of mobile users.

2. Are embedded Youtube videos viewable on mobile sites as when I click the mobile preview they don't show up?

Thank you in advance.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
No announcement yet Mark.
I suspect the YouTube embedding comes under the heading of HTML widgets so would probably be waiting for the fix as well.
Photo of Mark N

Mark N

• 466 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Thank you, Gop.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Apologies Mark, Pete did sneak this fix into a release last week and we failed to update this thread. I'm very sorry for that.

To clarify, YouTube videos should play. What we expect with this fix is that custom CSS styling will not be displayed at all.

Thanks for your patience and thanks to Pete for getting the fix released!
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Mark's second question and statement:
2. Are embedded Youtube videos viewable on mobile sites as when I click the mobile preview they don't show up?

So Mark has said that it doesn't show in the preview and your statement is that You Tube vids should show. Mark doesn't have a phone to check it out so a definitive answer would really help.
Photo of Mark N

Mark N

• 466 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Yes, I'm still concerned as when I looked on mobilephoneemulator.com I was seeing the same layout as with the Yola previews - with no videos!
Photo of nytro31

nytro31

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Do you have to have Silver to post on Facebook ? I have updated my site and it asked me to post on Facebook and it is still posting ! 20 mins later
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
No you don't nytro. The Silver FB facility recently released just makes publishing to a Facebook Page a very simple task. It can be quite a business doing it from first principles. The outcome is the same.

You do need Silver for this streamlined function.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello nytro31

What you describe about the Facebook posting feature loading forever sounds like a temporary glitch. Please clear your browser's cache and try again. Let us know if it's still not working.
Photo of Dennis Waldrop

Dennis Waldrop

• 84 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I logged into my website from my android tablet and some of the functionality that is there on a computer is not there on the tablet. My link to another website through html is not there. Is YOLA working on being more compatible with android tablets at least on website functionality when viewing a website from a tablet. I understand issues of working on your website with a tablet but viewing a website by a customer and not having everything available for a customer to see is a big concern for me.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Viewing Issues when using an android tablet to access your website.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
This thread has been continued and a solution proposed by our engineering team here.

To summarize, we plan to add in functionality that will allow you to toggle on and off the HTML widgets you want to be displayed on your Mobile and Facebook published websites.
Photo of Kerry M

Kerry M

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I know this is an old post, but could you please help... we have Yola Silver. All our Paypal-generated html buttons appear on desktops and laptops but not mobile devices.

Please help. We can see everything on a mobile except the Paypal buttons for our customers to pay online.

website www.barnesmittagong.com

Thank you, Kerry
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Kerry,

Unfortunately there is no update aside from the thread linked above. We do still plan to implement the HTML toggle feature in the future and hope to see it early next year but we do not have an estimated time for delivery that we can provide at this time.
Photo of Kerry M

Kerry M

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Laura

By early next year... do you mean January? February? Seems there's been 8 months so far without a fix - can you guarantee there will be one?

Very frustrating as this is our business.

Kerry
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hello Kerry,

We are unable to comment as to when this feature will be released as there are a number of projects on the go that also need to be released.

As soon as we do release this feature, we will be sure to let you know.
Photo of Kerry M

Kerry M

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi again... just got this email from Yola... its reminded me to ask again where you're up to with fixing the html widgets on mobiles, Thanks, Kerry

Did you know that smartphones are now outselling PCs and it is predicted that there will be one mobile device for every person on earth by 2015. This means it’s more important than ever to have a mobile-friendly website. With Yola Silver it’s easy! You already have access to this feature so you can create a mobile site with just the click of a button*.
Photo of KanThaiDecor

KanThaiDecor

• 2402 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
At this point this is shameful
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
I wish we had an update to add at this point but we do not. We are currently focusing on Sitebuilder updates and prioritizing our projects, and I can assure you this is on the list!
Photo of Kerry M

Kerry M

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Laura... do you know if it will be fixed any time soon? It's been a long wait. Kerry
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello Kerry

As said above, it is on our list, but unfortunately we're unable to give you an estimation of time. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing you.
Photo of Kerry M

Kerry M

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Our customers can't pay online (for driving lessons) from their mobiles. This is more than inconvenient. It's even more frustrating you can't say when it will be fixed. It's been more than 12 months. Our customers are complaining because we offer online payment but unless they're at a desktop/laptop they can't! This should be given your urgent attention.
Photo of Kerry M

Kerry M

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is anyone listening?
I have a workaround if you are interested.
Photo of kerrymazzoni

kerrymazzoni

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Still no one is listening. Will you please respond with when this will be fixed. "Early next year" has already come and gone... it's May 2013. This has been going on for well over a year with no fix.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi all

We have good news for you: Yola now supports custom HTML for Mobile Publishing! Please refer to this post for details: Custom HTML Support for Mobile Sites!.

Thank you all for your patience, and I hope the new feature will help.