moving a site from an old account to a new account

• Question
  • Updated 11 years ago
  • Answered
i need to open a new seperate account and move a site from my old account to the new account. How can i do this?
Photo of HOPE JONES

HOPE JONES

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • unsure

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hello Hope,

My I just clarify the definition of new account.

Do you mean you've opened a new Yola account with a new ID (email address) ?
Photo of HOPE JONES

HOPE JONES

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
yes
Photo of HussainGardezi

HussainGardezi

• 217 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I also Want this Service/Info We can Transfer Websites to others, i want to GIFT a Site to one my Friends. but i cant :(
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hi Hussain,

You can do that and I have. Basically you open an account with their email address. Create teh site and pass it over. Not difficult at all.

hand the password over as well and then they can alter the pasword to their own liking.

I've done this with two sites. (both keep asking me to manage the sites though )
Photo of HussainGardezi

HussainGardezi

• 217 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i am not get your self, can you Explain by Shorts.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
I'm sorry hussain,

I'll try and make it clearer. Please get back to me if you have any problems.

Create a Yola account with your friends email address.
Create the website and give it them. They can then change the password to what they would like but the email address remains the same .

The email address is the account ID
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Official Response
While it is possible by change the email address associated with your whole account by editing your profile, it is not possible to transfer a site from one account to another.

If you are building a site that you later want to hand over to someone else, the best approach is to create an account with their details and build the site in that account. Then when the time comes you can give them their login details.

This is a common problem - people build sites for others in their own accounts and don't think about how they will hand them over once the job is done. In the future it would be nice to have a feature that allows sites to be transferred between accounts, but right now we simply don't have the capacity to do this.

Hopefully once you have already built a site you will find it fairly easy to rebuild by using the original as a model.

I am sorry we don't have an ideal solution for this problem right now.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
That's really true Monique. Sribuaban is a site exactly as you described. I created it with an email address of my own and when it came to handing it over. I realised that other sites I had created on the same account were accessible to the people managing sribuaban. C'est la vie!
Photo of HOPE JONES

HOPE JONES

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks i will just set up the new email account and cut and paste my content. Thanks again!!!
Photo of HussainGardezi

HussainGardezi

• 217 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Peter for you clearness i got now.

Thanks MoniQue :)
Photo of HOPE JONES

HOPE JONES

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
in reguard to setting up a new account and moving site i understand i will have to copy and paste content. now my questions is i want the domain that i have already paid for to be able to transfer to the new account. but of course it is not available as long as the old account still has that site tied to it. if i delete the site from the old account will this make it available for the new account and will i have to pay for it again?
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hello Hope,
All you need to do to utilize that domain name is to Unpublish the site using it, which will free it up, then you can publish the new site to that domain name.

To unpublish your site:

1. Click on the down-arrow next to the yellow "Update My Site" button.
2. Click on "Publishing Settings".
3. Click on "Unpublish my Site".

You will be asked to confirm that you wish to unpublish your site. Click on "OK" and your site will be unpublished.

You can then go through the process of publishing your site to a domain you all ready own.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Emmy