Moving my GBBO from google sites to Yla

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
Hi,

I have a website which was set up with Getting British Business Online. It was during 2010 and is on google sites, it is going to expire in April.

I received an email from GBBO saying I could extend my domain usage and use Yola, the troublke is the email did not tell me how to move my website onto Yola.

I do have another website with Yola but I may delete that one and create my online store on the site I want to move accross.

This may sound silly but what do I need to do and how do I do it as I want to get it over and done with asap.

Many thanks

Ian
Photo of IanB

IanB

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of IanB

IanB

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
apparently you can't you can only point your current website after setting another one up on Yola as they don't transfer .co.uk I can't find any help on GBBO thatis of any bloody used and I am fed up now
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi IanB,

I'm sorry you are frustrated. It's true there is no way to transfer co.uk domains to Yola at this time, but as you mentioned, you can point your domain to Yola and host a new site you create with us.

Without seeing the email you received it's difficult to interpret what Google was suggesting you should do, but moving your site over is a manual process at this time.

We're happy to help you implement whatever you decide to do.
Photo of Sarah Charemaine Hatchett

Sarah Charemaine Hatchett

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am in the same situation. how do i point my googlesite to my new Yola site?? I dont know the google site settings needed
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hi Sarah,

It's not the site that you can point to Yola but rather your domain. The site can't be moved because it was built with the Google Sitebuilder facility and also Yola can only manage sites built with the Yola sitebuilder facility.

So presuming you wish to retain your domain ie your website address and have it used on a new Yola built site, then this requires that you point the A records of your domain to Yola's servers. To do this you need to access the DNS management facility at your current domain registrar. If you don't know who this maybe then if you can let us know your domain name( same as your website address) the Yola people can tell you where your domain is registered and give you some lead as to how to go about the process of pointing your domain to Yola.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Hi Sarah,

You can't do anything regarding the mobility of your site. This is impossible as the systems used to build the site are locked in effect. Similarly Yola could not "read" your googlesite code it can only manage sites built with the Yola sitebuilder.

It is your domain that can be manipulated and in this case you would point your domain to Yola's servers and retain the registration of your domain with your current registrar.

You would need to change the A records according to some outline instructions that Yola have prepared. Publish to a Domain that you already own

if you don't know who your current registrar is then let the forum know your domain name (same as your website address) and someone can look up the public records to advise you. Yola will be able to give you some lead as to how to make contact with the people who are the registrars of your domain and possibly a specific instruction on the process of changing the required records?