My index page won't load.

• Problem
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • In Progress
My index page won't load. Well, it loads sometimes, but it doesn't load consistently. It may load 5 times in a row, but if I check again in a minute, it won't load again. Does this have something to do with the DNS? http://www.officehounds.co.uk
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • concerned!

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Terry

Terry

• 83 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks Maggie and Emmy for your time and effort.

It's distressing to know that XTOLZ isn't coming up for you Maggie, that indicates that others aren't seeing it also :{

I will try Emmy's 3 suggestions and hope that will resolve this issue. I will let you know what the outcome is.

I checked OfficeHounds website and it worked, as was XTOLZ, at GMT 11.00pm

I will periodically check it to see what happens with these sites from here and let you know.
Photo of Terry

Terry

• 83 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Okay Maggie, I've been loading your website today in Chrome, I.E. & Firefox about every half-hour and every time it HAS loaded - hope that's some consolation for you. Terry.
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Terry and Emmy,
Thanks so much for looking into it. Terry that is good news that it's been loading on your end. That does make me feel better, but I am still confused as to why I can't access my site.

Re the suggested tips.
1. I had two of my Twitter followers check the website and Terry's tests, and all are saying it's working.

2. My ISP checked and there are no blocks or problems on my website, however they did ask me to ping the website & I discovered that I get your page saying that the website needs to be published when I put the IP address into my browser. (See attached screenshot.)

3. I contacted my domain registrar yesterday. They checked and couldn't see a problem. They thought it was likely that something is set differently on one of your servers which they thought would explain why the problem is intermittent.

It's good news that other people seem to be able to access it ok. It doesn't matter as much if I can't access it, but I'd love to figure this out!
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Oops forgot the image
Photo of GuernseyGardens

GuernseyGardens

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Maggie

I am having the same problems.

The page is sometimes there and sometimes not

www.guernseygardens.com

I have republished etc, so there should be no issues.

It does seem a pattern is forming, and I wonder how many more sites are experiencing this?

C-L
Photo of Justine

Justine

• 751 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Hi GuernseyGardens,
I have tested your site, and I am able to view it. Could you try some of the suggestions that Emmy posted earlier, and see whether any of them help resolve your problem? In particular, I definitely suggest contacting your domain registrar.

I will also keep checking your website to see whether I receive the same problem.
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I tried to access www.guernseygardens.com at 16:41. I wasn't able to access it or my website. Tried again at 16:43 my website worked but www.guernseygardens.com didn't work.
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Will upgrading to Yola Silver fix this problem?
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Maggie,
There isn't a feature of Yola Silver that would change what you are seeing I don't believe. Have you been able to try any of the suggestions I gave you earlier?

Emmy
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Please see my response above GuernseyGardens. I have tried all of your suggestions.
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Right now, I seem to be having more trouble with Chrome than with Opera or IE. Although in the past I have experienced it with all browsers I've tested including Safari. I have had several people say it seems to be working, but it's the attached tweet & my consistent problems that make me worry!
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I just realised that you have releasing new features for Yola Silver users. Thought you might like to know when I logged into Yola with Opera, your pop-up message with info about the New features worked, but it didn't appear in Google Chrome.
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I checked out my website using the Google Chrome developer tools for javascript. Does this make any sense to you? Bit too advanced for me?
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Any ideas about this?
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This particularly may be of interest?
"The following resources are missing a cache expiration. Resources that do not specify an expiration may not be cached by browsers:
officehounds.co.uk/
Default.css
Iris%20Call%204.png.opt337x189o0,0s337x189.png
Website%20Home%20strip.png.opt79x471o0,0s79x471.png
top.png
OfficeHounds%20New%20website%20header2.png.cropped940x200o0%2C0s942x201.png
fill.png
bottom.jpg
sprites.png
sprites.png
tracking.js
The following cacheable resources have a short freshness lifetime:
ga.js
quant.js
The following resources are explicitly non-cacheable. Consider making them cacheable if possible:
www.officehounds.co.uk
__utm.gif
LoggingAgent"
Photo of Justine

Justine

• 751 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Hi Maggie,

Our engineers have been investigating the problem you're experiencing, and have been able to replicate it. I have pasted the results of their investigation below.

What they have found in their investigation is that "X-Purpose: : preview" is being sent by you or perhaps an upstream proxy. Headers are supposed to be in the form "X-Name: preview" but in the above it has two colons. This is what is causing the problem.

We could help out the situation by stripping that header on the edge servers, but I think it is definitely worth contacting your hosting provider to find out why the requests are being sent in this manner. They will hopefully be able to assist you.

Here is the log:
BROKEN_REQUEST_LOG:
------------------------------------------

root@hstore1:~# curl -v -H "Host: www.officehounds.co.uk" -H
"Connection: keep-alive" -H "X-Purpose: : preview" -H "User-Agent:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.16
(KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/10.0.648.205 Safari/534.16" -H "Accept:
application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5"
-H "Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch" -H "Accept-Language:
en-US,en;q=0.8" -H "Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.3"
-H "Cookie: __qca=P0-1664508549-1302713108385;
synthasiteVisitorId=C4BBD6DE-0100-0001-BEDF-A3C361A1BFE0;
__utmz=50068728.1303292360.27.8.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=officehounds%20va;
synthasite" -H "If-None-Match: 861bf3d1289aef12a1194932407bec6a" -H
"If-Modified-Since: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:21:24 GMT" 10.111.65.40 -o
/dev/null
* About to connect() to 10.111.65.40 port 80 (#0)
* Trying 10.111.65.40... connected
* Connected to 10.111.65.40 (10.111.65.40) port 80 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: www.officehounds.co.uk
> Connection: keep-alive
> X-Purpose: : preview
> User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/10.0.648.205 Safari/534.16
> Accept: application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
> Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch
> Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8
> Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.3
> Cookie: __qca=P0-1664508549-1302713108385; synthasiteVisitorId=C4BBD6DE-0100-0001-BEDF-A3C361A1BFE0; __utmz=50068728.1303292360.27.8.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=officehounds%20va; synthasite
> If-None-Match: 861bf3d1289aef12a1194932407bec6a
> If-Modified-Since: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:21:24 GMT
>
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:--
--:--:-- 0* HTTP 1.0, assume close after body
< HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
< Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 06:28:40 GMT
< Server: lighttpd/1.5.0
<
{ [data not shown]
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:--
--:--:-- 0* Closing connection #0

I hope this helps! Please let us know how it goes, as we'd really like this to be resolved.
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have tried stripping down some of the photos & videos from my home page. No matter what I do, I still seem to have a problem especially in Google Chrome.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Maggie,
I know this is frustrating and I wish that I could get it worked out for you right now, I really do! Thank you for trying the suggestions that we offered, as well as posting those screen shots, I understand this is very important to you.

At this point we have given all the suggestions we have, as well as done testing on our side looking for errors in our logs. I have emailed some of my colleagues to take a look at this and offer any suggestions to us that they might have. We are taking your problem seriously, unfortunately the nature of what might be wrong at this point is unclear to me. I am unsure if this is something on our side, or a problem with an upstream server, which could very likely be the case. Please give us a bit of time to look at things and get feedback from some other people. I really appreciate your patience.

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Community Support Team Lead
Photo of Terry

Terry

• 83 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have sent the suggested questions to my ISP and Domain registrar but, because of the holidays, I don't expect a quick reply.

I have had 1 twitter follower & 1 facebook friend check my site and it loaded for both of them.

Today I have checked http://www.xtolz.com http://www.guernseygardens.com and http://www.officehounds.co.uk in Firefox, I.E. and Chrome and they are all working.

I will keep you posted, Terry.
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Terry - Have a look at the reply above in the thread. It looks like they have identified the problem. Fingers crossed, I think this may have resolved the problem. I haven't had the blank screen once this morning. I really appreciate your support & for the Yola team for looking into it over the holiday break! Much appreciated.
Photo of Maggie Langley

Maggie Langley

• 43 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks to Justine, Emmy & the technicians for investigating my problem. I really appreciate the help. The problem seems to be resolved. I have emailed my Domain provider, so they can investigate the extra colon you mentioned.
Photo of Justine

Justine

• 751 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Hi Maggie,
It is our pleasure! Thanks for letting us know this has been resolved, and please keep us updated as to what feedback you have received.