Need help pointing my new synthasite to a 123-reg domain

• Question
  • Updated 9 years ago
  • Answered
Hi there I'm trying to add an A record to a domain i just bought from 123-reg so I can point my new synthasite to the domain. It's not terribly clear for novice like myself where I should be adding this. I've gone into the DNA management part of the control panel on 123-red and I see a field that allows me to enter details. It's displayed with a field then the the letter a then another field. Should I put the ip address in both fields do you think?
Photo of Dean

Dean

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • just a wee bit confused

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of andy muller

andy muller

• 108 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Dean
It seems like your DNS settings are not configured to point to SynthaSite with your domain name registrar. You need to set up an Address record to point to: 208.75.208.172

We have a tutorial outlining the steps to configuring your domain, giving two popular domain name registrars as examples: http://www.synthasite.com/tutorials/p....

There are also instructions on how to use ZoneEdit if your domain name registrar does not provide you with domain name management. However, most domain name registrars can assist you with an A record, in which case you would not need to use a third party service like ZoneEdit.

These are general instructions on how to configure your domain to point to SynthaSite. If you require specific help with the interface of your domain name registrar, please contact them for support.

How to configure a domain name you already own:

1. Log in to your chosen domain registrar (eg. GoDaddy.com, Register.com).
2. Go to the DNS Management page.
3. Set up an A Record.
4. The IP address of your record must point to: "208.75.208.172"

Please note that it can take up to 48 hours (although usually less) for these changes to take effect and you need to contact your domain registrar if you need help in that regard. Feel free to forward any instructions you receive from them to us so that we can advise you further.

Once you have configured your DNS settings, click the yellow "Publish My Site" button in SynthaSite, "I already own a domain name". Fill in your domain name and follow the prompts to publish your site.

If you have all ready published your website to a Synthasite subdomain and have purchased a custom domain name elsewhere, please follow these instructions once you have configured your domain to point towards Synthasite:

1. Log in to your Site Builder
2. Click on the down arrow of Update My Site
3. Click on Publishing Settings
4. Click Manage Your Domains
5. Remove your subdomain (top)
6. Enter your new domain in the area labeled "Domain You All Ready Own"
7. Click Save
8. Click Republish Your Site

If you have any difficulty with this please let us know.

Once your site is published to your domain the hard part is over and you will be able to edit your site and then update it with a single click.
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Thanks Andy!!

Dean,

Here is a link the help page at 123 Reg with information on configuring your domain to use another host 123-Reg Support; when you get to step 4 in their instructions, this is where you will put Synthasite's ip address: 208.75.208.172.

If you have any trouble with any of this please let us know.

Kind Regards,
Emmy
Photo of Pauline

Pauline

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Emmy

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have just joined SynthaSite and I hope you can help me as I have a problem with 123 reg. I can follow the instructions but don't know where to put the IP address in MyServerWorld.NET or MyServerWorld.Com, I tried .com but it said that it was an Invalid IP for Linux hosting. Help!!
By the way I love SynthaSite, can't believe how good it is and it is free, thanks for providing such a fabbie service and the chance to make a really good website for FREE !!
Bye for now
Photo of Emmy

Emmy

• 5892 Posts
  • 299 Reply Likes
Hi Pauline,
We're glad you love Synthasite! Can you give me a bit more information. Is 123 reg your domain name registrar or is MyServerWorld.net. Are you wanting to point a domain name you have all ready purchased to Synthasite so that we can be your host? This requires the A Record be changed. Please let me know what you have done thus far and I will assist further.

Thanks!
Emmy
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Here are some more detailed instructions that might help. Written by one of the excellent 123-reg support team, so I hope they don't mind me posting them here:

"To point your domain to your host's IP address you will need to do the following;

Manage DNS:

1) You will need to login to the account using the "login to your control panel" button. This is located on the top right hand side of the page.

2) You should now be at a new page. Using the scroll bar on the right hand side of your web browser, you should now be presented with the blue section and a dropdown box that contains a domain name. Next to this dropdown box is a button that says "modify domain".

* Select the domain you wish to modify from the dropdown box
* Click the "modify domain" button.

3) You should now be at a new page. Select the option you require. The options you will be faced with are as follows:

* Manage My Blog
* Access My Instantsite Account
* Web Forwarding
* E-mail Forwarding
* Manage DNS
* Change Nameservers
* Change IPS Tag
* Modify Contact Details
* WHOIS Opt out
* Transfer Domain to another 123reg User
* Display or Print an Invoice

Click on Manage DNS.

All you need to do is alter where the '@' and 'www' A records point to. Just change the existing IP addresses to 208.75.208.172, then click on the "Update DNS" button and wait for 24-48 hours for the new settings to become active."
Photo of Pauline

Pauline

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Monique and Emmy

You are both SUPERSTARS - thank you so much - I feel the urge to tell everyone I know about SynthaSite, I wish every company was as good as you and when I start my little company I want to offer the same level of customer service, well done
Pauline
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Thanks for your kind words. Basically our advice is that when you feel strange and uncontrollable urges after using our product it is best not to resist, as the side effects of suppressing these urges has not yet been fully tested. So if you feel the need to tell a friend, neighbor or casual acquaintance about us, by all means do so :)

Good luck with your plans to start your own company. We are sure you will be a great success!