New File uploader

• Problem
  • Updated 10 years ago
It's not really a problem per say but I do want to complain a little. While I usually love all your improvements, I can't say like this new file uploader.

First of all, it's annoying to have to input each file whereas before you could just hold the ctrl key down and select all your files and just click upload.

Secondly, when you finally do upload your images, it doesn't show up right away. I was look all over the place for them. I thought they didn't upload, so I had to go through the process again of uploading my files when I got the message, do you want to overwrite your files? So, this made me wonder? Where are my files located then? It wasn't until I clicked on a different folder in trying to search for it and came back to the original folder that the images appeared.

I would love to hear and understand your thoughts on why the file uploader needed improvement. I would ask that you reconsider going back to the old style. In my opinion, I think this time the old way is the better way.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
  • not a happy girl

Posted 10 years ago

Photo of KanThaiDecor

KanThaiDecor

• 2402 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Hi littleus....I just uploaded 3 images at once and all worked fine....I am not experiencing anything different as far as I can see
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
See this new way of doing it?

You have to input each file individually into each box. Whereas before, you could just hold the ctrl key down and select all your files off the hard drive and then upload. Do you know what I mean?

I just cleared my cache and again.. not all of my images show up automatically. I had to click on another folder and then went back to the original folder and the rest of my pictures showed up.

Am I going crazy?? I'm sure this is a new set-up.
Photo of KanThaiDecor

KanThaiDecor

• 2402 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
hmmm that is odd...lol I will try again
Photo of KanThaiDecor

KanThaiDecor

• 2402 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Just tried again and still no change....Maybe your Adobe Flash is not up to date ?
Photo of lambofgod

lambofgod

• 875 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
If my memory serves me correctly (it's getting late though) that looks like the old uploader
Photo of lambofgod

lambofgod

• 875 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Also that is not what I am viewing on mine
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 2569 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
LU,

Your uploader is the very old model! Suggest a trade in.

Maybe another Yola bug.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
I just got myself out of bed cuz I couldn't stop thinking about this! I just realized this may be the reason why people were having so much trouble with their images not showing up in their file manager over the past week.

This is the first time I've seen this "new" file uploader. Earlier today, it was the other one. So, I'm starting to suspect that this must be a bug?!

Okay.. heading back to bed again now that I've gotten this off my chest! I really hope it's all back to normal when I wake up!
Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Hi there Littleus,
Thanks for the Screenshot - It definitely looks like our old file manager.
We are looking into this at the moment and will get back to you all as soon as we have worked it out.
Photo of jeremy

jeremy, Employee

• 1349 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Hi there Littleus,

If you haven't gone to bed yet would you be able to tell us what browser version you are using and also which version of flash you are using?
If you are using Firefox you can find that out by typing about:plugins into the browser bar and it should tell you.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Hi there Jeremy

I'm using Firefox 3.0.8

There appears to be two types of flash versions:

1. Shockwave Flash

File name: NPSWF32.dll
Shockwave Flash 6.0 r47
Macromedia Flash movie

and the other is:

2.File name: NPSWF32.dll
Shockwave Flash 10.0 r22
Adobe Flash movie
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Thanks Littleus :)
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Just wanted you know that I actually resolved this problem. I did a system restore to a previous point before I started having these problems. Voila! All is back to normal now! Yay!!!!

I checked the plugins again and the one that is now gone is the Macromedia Flash movie. This would make sense as I uploaded a couple of games for my daughter and it had the macromedia flash component.

So I wonder if Macromedia flash version is incompatible with Firefox browser or Yola? Now.. I didn't try with IE to see if this made a difference. But, it may be worth looking into? The Macromedia version could possibly be quite an old version and maybe that's why I ran into problems?

When I was having problems, I noticed a little sentence on the file uploader that it says "upgrade to Adobe flash" or something like that. I didn't upgrade because I knew that I at one point did not have problems. I would assume then it was the Macromedia Flash that became the default flash player. Since I did the system restore, the Adobe Flash then became the default flash player and things have been working perfectly again.

If wonder if this Macromedia Flash vs Adobe Flash is one of the reason why others may be experiencing problems with uploading their images? Maybe this could become part of our troubleshooting inquiries?

Anyway, it makes me very glad that "new file uploader" is in actuality the old one. The current one is definitely an improvement!!! lol.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer, Champion

• 2055 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
I guess you could say it was fixed in a flash, Littleus
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
lol... your witticism cannot be matched! =D
Photo of Marije

Marije, Official Rep

• 4636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Thanks for telling us in a flash too :)
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
lol Marije... boomer's rubbing off on you! =)
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
In all seriousness though... what are your thoughts to my above response regarding the Macromedia flash? Does this have any plausibility?
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
We have reported this, and will wait for some feedback from our technical team and let you know what they have to say about Macromedia Flash vs Adobe Flash. If this is the cause then we will have uncovered a useful bit of information.
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Thanks Monique. Please do keep me updated on this! I'm very curious now!! =)
Photo of the_pete

the_pete

• 65 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey there

In order to use the advanced upload selector you need a flash version higher than 9.0.45. If you don't have flash at all, or your version is lower than 9.0.45 then you will see the simple upload selector (totally uncool).

You can check your flash version in Firefox by typing about:plugins in your address bar. The entry you're looking for is "Shockwave Flash". You should see a line like this "Shockwave Flash 10.0 r22" if you have the latest version.

You can check your flash version in any browser here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507...

The format of the version numbers is slightly different here (no "r"). You're looking for something greater than 9,0,45,0. The latest was 10,0,22,87 when I tested.

If you see that your version is lower that 9.0.45 you can do an upgrade here http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If you see that your version is higher than 9.0.45, and it's still using the simple upload selector, please make some noise :)
Photo of Sanja

Sanja

• 10698 Posts
  • 495 Reply Likes
Thanks for that explanation the_Pete. Now.. does it matter if it's Adobe flash or Macromedia Flash?? Also.. if a person should have an older version of flash, does that impact on the images showing up in the file manager?

This problem occurred when I was uploading a game for my daughter which I assume it was an older version of flash, specifically Macromedia flash and this seemed to have overidden the newer version of Adobe Flash. The images were not showing up instantaneously in the file manager. Do you believe the two are related?

I just want to have a clear understanding so that I can direct others if they are sharing similar experiences.
Photo of the_pete

the_pete

• 65 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Hey there littleus

Adobe recently aquired Macromedia - So as far as I know there is no difference between Macromedia Flash and Adobe Flash (except that Macromedia Flash is probably an older version because it was made before the rebranding).

I can confirm that having an older version (or no version) of Flash does not effect images showing up in the file manager at all. It would only effect the upload selector dialog.

It's possible that an older version of Flash was installed when installing the game for your daughter. If a Flash install was bundled with the game, and that Flash install was an old version, it might have overwritten your updated Flash version. Unfortunately, without seeing that flash game install, I can only speculate on how your Flash version was degraded to 6.0.47.

I would say that if other users are experiencing similar issues the best thing to do would be to direct them to this link: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507... to check that they have version 9.0.45 or higher of Flash. An old version (however they got the old version) is definitely the mostly likely cause of the issue you experienced.

Hope this clears things up :)