New internet regulations - cookies

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
How do I tell if there are cookies enabled on my webpage? If there are, what is the best way to approach telling visitors to my site, under the new internet regulations?
Photo of maeve

maeve

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Maeve,

I'm afraid I don't have an easy answer for that. We are aware of this law and are working on a solution for our EU users. At this time, our best solution for you is to create a message on your site asking people to accept cookies or navigate away. Here is a useful tool that will help you with this. Once you have the code you can simply paste it into an HTML widget on your Yola site.

Website owners have until 26 May 2012 to comply with the new legislation and we hope to have a Yola-built solution available prior to that date. However, in the meantime I hope that the suggestion above will be of assistance to you.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Official Response
Here is the latest update we are aware of: Changes to Cookie Consent Law

This change removes the requirement to have a pop-up cookie opt-in agreement for visitors to your site.

What this change supports is "implied consent". While "implied consent" does have various permutations, the basic premise is that, depending on the context, there may now be no need to get users to click a button or checkbox, as long as your users understand that using the site will result in cookies being used.

As the law is specific to the EU, and not something Yola has any control over, we encourage you to take a look at the literature available on this subject. This will give you a better idea of the original law, the changes, and what sort of wording you are required to have on your site: Changes to UK Cookie Law. Lastly, the UK Cookie Guide and Cookies Guidance PDFs are very helpful resources.

Something that is recommended by many websites, is the addition of a Privacy Policy. This type of policy generally discloses what you do with the information your visitors provide you with. In the case of the cookie law, you could extend this Privacy Policy to include information about "implied consent" and cookie handling on your website. It's also a good idea to have a page on your website detailing what cookies are and explaining to your visitors how to manage them. This article offers a helpful explanation about cookies, and how users should manage their cookies.

There is a lot of information to take in, and while this forum is a great place to discuss it, it is not possible for Yola to provide legal assistance. If you do have additional questions about this law, it is recommended that legal advice be sought.
Photo of Gordon

Gordon

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Maeve
Whilst the suggested links in the previous responses are good advice I am not sure that even if you use the suggested CIVIC UK link / code it will go as far a meeting the UK Cookie law, even with the “implied consent”. However I have not tested the CIVIC script and I am not a lawyer either, so this is not intended as legal advice.
To Answer your first question.
From what I can tell even if you have a very basic site, Yola pushes several cookies. You don’t get a choice in this as this is something that Yola’s code does.
If you want to find out what cookies you get when you go to a website then the easiest way is probably to clear your cookies, go directly to the website you are interested in by entering the URL then looking at the cookies again. Another way is to set your privacy policy to prompt for cookies. However these options vary from browser to browser.
I’m using FireFox 12 and I cleared my cookies then visited my Yola website which resulted in the following cookies coming from my site:

__qca expiry nearly 5 years
synthasiteVisitorId, expiry 1 year
synthasiteVisitId, expiry 5 minutes

There were also two additional Cookies, which look like they came for Java Script Execution which was embedded in the web page by Yola.

Coyote-2-ac9068e (pixel.yola.com), expires at end of session
mc (quantserve.com) , expiries at end of session

To make it clear my site is a pretty simple Yola Site and NONE of these cookies were set by my code.

For the second question, whilst I think you may get away with short terms cookies such as “synthasiteVisitId” or where the cookies are to track a session or a shopping cart under "implied consent" I am not convinced that cookies lasting for 1 or 5 years would be acceptable. Neither am I convinced that the ones from the external sites above would be acceptable either without getting "explicit consent".

Yola does have an FAQ about New UK Cookie Law: 26 May 2012 Which advises that Yola is creating something, but unit we see it we won’t know if it goes far enough.
I am not sure if it is possible but it might be good if Yola could give the option to disable the above tracking cookies and code that it embeds, that way for many sites you would not have to worry about complying with the cookie law because you wouldn’t have any.
However I suspect that the fact of the matter is because Yola forces cookies on its sites then you have to look into it and probably do something about it.
Photo of Marc

Marc

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If you are looking for a shopping cart that doesn't use cookies, please have a look at http://shop2site.yolasite.com
Photo of Jane

Jane

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What is Yola's response to EU cookie laws? See site here if not familiar. I am based in the UK and trade in the EU.
http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisatio...

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
New EU cookie law.
Photo of David

David

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can anyone tell me what cookies yola will use when hosting my website so I can inform my visitors in order to comply with the new EU/UK cookie laws. (ie, What sort of cookies are they? What are they used for? How long do they last on visitors computers?etc)
This information would be a great help.
Many thanks,
David

What cookies will yola use when hosting my website?.
Photo of JC

JC

• 354 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Also, can someone please advise if all sites have to have something on them re advice of using cookies, or is it only for those people resident in UK/EU. We are in NZ.
thk u. JC
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
This legislation only affects EU residents.
Photo of JC

JC

• 354 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
thk u. Laura.
Photo of steve

steve

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I need to put the cookie notification on my site - I have been to another site (http://civicuk.com) but they state that their cookie managment is not compatible with Yola (ftp issue). Can you direct me to a similar cookie script that I can use on my site (THCounsellingservices.co.uk) Thanks

UK cookie law and suggestions for scripts.
Photo of steve

steve

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Could you answer this please
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Steve,

Yola does not support FTP, however I merged your case here because I believed the information provided in the "Official Response" above does answer your question. Please review that and let us know if you still have any concerns.