New Text widget - Status update

• Announcement
  • Updated 5 years ago
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Text Editor Solution and Status Update

Hi All

Yesterday we rolled out a new text widget. Our reasons for this were as follows:

1) The old one relied on outdated technology and without completely overhauling it it was impossible for us to stay current with trends and best practices in web development.
2) The new one generates more standard output across all browsers.
3) It fixes most issues with pasting from MS Word - a long standing problem and probably the biggest pain point with the old text widget.
4) It is based on a library that is actively developed.
5) It is simpler to maintain and makes it possible for us to roll out more frequently requested advanced features.
6) It supports image resizing in Chrome.
7) It works with the Style Designer and resolves the conflicts with inline formatting experienced in the old text widget.

Having said that we understand that it is a significant change that impacts a large number of sites and is therefore a complicated and risky upgrade. We did everything we could to test it prior to release and spent extensive time and resources on this, but a number of bugs have crept through nevertheless. To those of you who are upset about the change - the first thing I would like to say is that all of these bugs are receiving priority attention and our first goal is to get through fixing all of them.

Next we will consider your feedback regarding the usability of the new text widget and address any pain points that we can in order to improve it further.

We will post updates on this thread as we address the various issues that have been raised by customers since the release.
Photo of Monique

Monique, VP of Customer Support

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jessica

Jessica

• 29 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
It isn't terrible, but there are other issues that came along with it..

1. You can no longer paste images from other sites/webpages (not related to Yola), let alone from other pages in your Yola site. Let us paste images again, please.
2. Formatting is lost when you copy and paste from one text widget to another. Very annoying, having to re-format everything. Fix this, please.
3. I hate the "More" dropdown menu. It was much easier, with the old editor, to immediately select the font family, size, color, etc. Remove it.

Overall I'm not very happy with the new editor. If the three above (and any other bugs) are fixed, I would be a bit happier.
Photo of Francesco Patane'

Francesco Patane'

• 50 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I agree. The new editor is a complete disaster!
Photo of Hunter Hastings

Hunter Hastings

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
to much clicking to get to whats needed.
Photo of bball84095

bball84095

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Definitely do this! Every website has different sizes of font, and this feature is used far too often to not have it immediately accessible without a drop down menu.
Photo of May Day

May Day

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Please.....remove the new editor, it's so small and not helpful at all, too much work and causes headache!
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Jessica

Thank you for your constructive and helpful feedback. To address the points you raised:

1) Images should never be copied and pasted from another source - either within your site or external. They should always be uploaded to the file manager and embedded directly in the page. The fact that the old text editor allowed this was a serious weakness and one which we have addressed. In some browsers, pasted images were embedding raw image data (with no compression) in pages, bloating page sizes massively - at best that slowed page loads dramatically, at worst it would sometimes break the backend serialization, which would lock pages with page errors. These pages had to have their code edited manually by engineers, which was not a sustainable use of time. In addition if you copy and paste you have no control over the original source and if it changes you will have a broken image on your site. It also leads to errors where people copy and paste from a local source (like their computer) failing to realize that this will cause the image not to display for anyone other than themselves. Instead of allowing you to paste images again (which we never should have in the first place) we would like to encourage you to insert the image from your file manager instead.
2) Once again this is by design - pasting formatted text caused a host of problems with people's sites. We have therefore worked to ensure that you can set up your formatting once within the Style Designer and then paste as plain text within the text widget and have it inherit the desired formatting in a consistent fashion.
3) The more menu is there to ensure that we can add new options without the toolbar getting far too big and confusing. However, this is something we can revisit if it turns out not to be a good solution.

Once again I appreciate the points you have raised. However, I hope you can understand that the first 2 are not bugs and that there are very strong technical reasons for the change. The third is a usability issue which we will definitely consider. Thanks for being willing to engage and share your concerns so that we can address them here.
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
REVERT IT BACK and go work on it away from our sitebuilding until all bugs are fixed because you are stopping us doing our daily updates due to the risk of losing and changing our content.

SURELY this is the better idea to revert back so we can continue with our work while yola work on the bugs on a seperate site or style where we can visit and give our feedback safely away from our sitebuilding.

ITS NOT A STUPID request unlike the stupid move to do this change to the main sitebuilding area in the first place
Photo of John Yeoman

John Yeoman

• 35 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Laura, you said, on another forum which is now inexplicably closed for comments: 'When you copy and paste text from one Text Widget to another Text Widget, all custom font formatting is removed because repeated copying and pasting of formatted text can create duplicate code, causing poor performance on your website'. So Yola has removed this vital function?

For me, it's a disaster. I have a high-traffic Yola blog. It drives my business - my sole source of income in my retirement. The only way I can format text and graphics sensitively for my blog is to prepare the post first in a normal Yola text widget, get the text plus graphics looking exactly right, then copy and paste the whole thing into the blog environment. That worked.

As you know, it's impossible to manipulate graphics and text properly with any precision in the blog environment itself. Are you saying I will no longer be able to copy and paste from a text widget into my blog without losing all the formatting? So my blog posts will become laughably ugly?

In that case, my business is finished. Please say it's not true.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi John - the Yola blog was deprecated a long time ago and this has been communicated to our customers. The blog has not been updated since we deprecated it so it should continue to function as it has always done. Have you tried pasting formatted text into the Yola blog since the release and if so what has the result been?
Photo of John Yeoman

John Yeoman

• 35 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thanks, Monique. That's a great relief. No, I have not dared to enter Yola since the furore began and I found that nothing worked. I'm scared that if I click on any page now, it will be ruined. But I must update my blog this Friday, so I'll see if the copy/paste method still works. If it does, I will say a prayer to the god of deprecation. Why couldn't you deprecate all Yola functions? Better still, send your engineers on holiday for, say, a hundred years? :)
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Just confirmed this by testing on an old Yola blog, so now I can "say it isn't so" :) If you are using the Yola blog and was making use of this workaround to format your posts then the recent release should have no impact on your ability to continue to do so as before.
Photo of John Yeoman

John Yeoman

• 35 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Monique, you are a wise and beautiful lady. Just get rid of that appalling color wheel (which trebles our workload), and give us back the old easy-to-use color picker, and I shall petition the Pope to canonize you...
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
May I suggest that in addition to the new colour wheel that a small module be added at say the bottom of this which allows for users to add their custom selections into a custom palette for instant recall?
Photo of Pierpaolo Paradisi

Pierpaolo Paradisi

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I subscribe Gop words!
Photo of bball84095

bball84095

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This is bologna! By disabling the copy image option from within our own site you have added hours more in time to simply adding a new page.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
@ Monique,

re Your first point in response: Does this mean that we can no longer use externally hosted images to display on our sites? example using images that we may have on Flickr but not displayed through a Flickr widget; images hosted associated with advertisements; images through cloud based hostings?
Photo of Chris Hall

Chris Hall

• 58 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi Monique - I've come back to Yola first thing in th morning to find that the site developers still have not yet solved the many problems with the recent downgrade.

Please would you inform me how I can change text that links to other pages to Georgia 12pt. Please actually test this - do not assume that the site developers have this covered.

The Style Developer (the most non-user-friendly tool I've come across in many years) seems to only change standard text. It does not change the linked text that is embedded within the main text across my site.

Using the normal text editor to manually change the text is very limited and does not allow me to choose 12pt - and it doesn't seem to work for existing text.

Please please please can someone look into this. This is a major flaw with Yola's site builder and in one chnage has made it one of the worst site builders currently on the market. This therefore needs to be addressed as a matter of priority.

Please would you kindly respond to this message - hopefully with clear and concise details of how I can changed pre-existng linked text back to Georgia 12pt across my site. If you don't try it out yourself, you might not actually realise the problem....so please test it!!

Thank you for your help in this very worrying and frustrating time.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Hi Chris

Just to set realistic expectations - this is not going to be fixed overnight but it will be fixed as fast as possible. I know you regard it as a downgrade, but if you forgive me I am going to persist in calling it an upgrade with bugs as per my post above :)

I have sent you an email regarding the issue you are having with setting your font. I am not assuming anything and I am committed to personally investigating the problem and getting to the bottom of it.

I guess I must confess a bias. I use the Style Designer day in and day out on my own site as well as using it to assist many others. I find it to be one of the best developments we have made in that it gives me an incredible amount of flexibility and control over my site although I am looking forward to further improvements that will make it easier to use. I mention this only so that you know that I do use the tool personally - all day and every day. Having said that I am taking your problem very seriously and do want to test it. I have tested it on my own site and am not experiencing the issue so my email will explain the next steps that I would like to take with your permission.
Photo of Chris Hall

Chris Hall

• 58 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi Monique - many thanks for your response. Yes, I was just hoping that after going to bed for the night, I would wake up and the changes were all fixed. I realise my expectations were not entirely realistic - but I what hoping!

I have emailed you back with reluctant permission. As I stated in my email - what I am asking for should be basic functionality for a site builder. It should not be this hard.

If you can make the adjustments just to the main body text in all of the reviews on my site so that even the linked text is at 12pt (so that it matches the rest of the body of text) then this would be perfect.

I would prefer that the other text (i.e. the copyright text at the bottom of each page) stayed at the size it's at. But this may be asking too much!

If you spend a few minutes having a look around my site, you can probably see that I have kept a strong level of consitencey across the many hundreds of pages. This is something that the new Style Developer and the non-standard colour palette doesn't seem to be able to cope with. This is a shame and is making me think that Yola might no longer be the best place to have my site. Hopefully you can prove me wrong, as moving to another site builder will be incredibly time consuming.

Thanks again for you assistance with this. This is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chris
(DLS Reviews)
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
you state it wont be fixed overnight but we are suffering while yola play with this rubbish.

Take it away and play in yola bedroom without hurting our daily use.

REVERT IT BACK and go work on it away from our sitebuilding until all bugs are fixed because you are stopping us doing our daily updates due to the risk of losing and changing our content.

SURELY this is the better idea to revert back so we can continue with our work while yola work on the bugs on a seperate site or style where we can visit and give our feedback safely away from our sitebuilding.

ITS NOT A STUPID request unlike the stupid move to do this change to the main sitebuilding area in the first place
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
See my response below.
Photo of Chris Hall

Chris Hall

• 58 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Basic functionality....

Dear Yola, following the recent problems please would kindly provide me with clear instructions of how I can perform the following basic functions:

1) Highlight existing text on my website (say a title) and change the font size to 12pt Georgia - AND change the text colour to pure white (not a shade of white - put standard pure white).

2) Revert all of the standard text across my entire website back to 12pt Georgia - including text that links to other pages. At the moment I cannot change the font size back to 12pt for linked text.

3) Easily select text colours that are consistent across the entire website (i.e. from a standard palette).

4) Adjust the line spacing on a case-by-case basis (i.e. so that it does not affect the entire site).

5) Be able to change text to 12pt on a case-by-case basis.

Please do not simply dismiss these points. This is basic functionality. Should you not be able to provide a way of addressing each of these points now - then please would you kindly detail how long it will be before a fix is likely to be achieved.

Thank you for your time. I really hope that you can get this mess sorted asap.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
1) See my response above- we need to get to the bottom of why the Style Designer is not working for you and once we do that then the Style Designer will be the way to format your text as described. The hex value for standard pure white is: #ffffff. You can use this code or click in the white area at the top of the box inside the color wheel. If you see #ffffff appear in the box below, you will know that you have pure white.

2) See #1 - this should work in the Style Designer and is working on my site as well as several others I have tested.

3) This is exactly what the Style Designer is for. The standard way to do this is to use a hex value ( eg: #ffffff for white) although you can use the color picker as well. If you want to replicate it elsewhere then copy and paste the code that appears for your selected color. That is the method I use and it is 100% reliable. Far better than just trying to see visually from a color palette and hope my eye is not deceiving me. It also gives me precise control - I don't have to rely on a developer to decide which colors to make available to me - any color can be used and it will render accurately and reliably across all browsers.

4 & 5) We are trying to encourage users to move away from adjusting line spacing and font size on a case by case basis (or to avoid inline formatting). To achieve a clean and professional result you should set this once for each font type within the Style Designer and then have it apply automatically across your entire site. If the Style Designer is not working for you then we want to fix this so that you can use it as intended.

The only bug in the points you raised above is the problem we are working on with setting font size in the Style Designer. Once you reply to my email I will be in a better position to let you know what the problem is and how long a fix is likely to take. The other issues I hope I have explained adequately but if not please let me know and I will try to make it clearer. We definitely do not want to dismiss any concerns and we want to be sure that we fix any bugs with our tool or provide you the information you need to make the best possible use of new features that are working as designed but may currently be unfamiliar to you.
Photo of Chris Hall

Chris Hall

• 58 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Many thanks for the response Monique. I have emailed back with permission. When viewing my site, please look through the various pages of reviews, and note that the words that link to other pages have remained in a smaller font.

FOR EXAMPLE PURPOSES: Please refer to the page entitled 'Abarat'. On the second line of the first paragraph 'The Thief Of Always' has remained in a small font size. This is not what I want. I wanted all of the text in the main body of this review to stay the same.

Re your response to points 4&5 above - I appreciate this. However, when things go wrong, or on the odd occassion when you do need to have a particular one-off piece of text at a different size - the site builder should allow the user to do this. Restricting what people can do is NOT a step forward...it's sadly a step backwards I'm afraid.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Thanks for getting back to me. I am going to take a look at your site as soon as I respond to the other posts on this thread and revert to you via email.
Photo of Chris Hall

Chris Hall

• 58 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thank you Monique. That's very kind of you.

Fingers crossed you manage to fix this problem without too much hassle.
Photo of David Byers

David Byers

• 8 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Greetings Monique, I have not properly tried the new Style Designer, not because it looked somewhat unfriendly, but (a) I was shocked to find all my text (on the page I opened) now double-spaced and therefore destroying the carefully planned mix of images, media files, etc. and (b) aware that when I opened a second page, it too immediately converted to this double-spacing. So I stopped and panicked.

I was advised to go into the Style Designer and make an adjustment. I have not done so as yet because I reckon that until you have all the bugs sorted it would be unwise. Will that adjustment affect all my text? What about the 'small' text used to label images? Will that now become 'normal', i.e. will everything be converted to he one size of text? The last thing I want, or have time for, is to go back and re-style every last item across many, many pages on three different sites.

I use the same single-spaced 'normal' text across each of my sites, but different headings' sizes and also empty text boxes at various settings to space things appropriately (is that 'padding'?). Plus 'small' text where appropriate for footnotes or pic titles.

I presume I can eventually adjust to a new Style Designer - but it should not alter a 'published' design already in use. Can I be assured that all my work over the past year and more will be restored? I've only dared to open a home page and one other page on one of my sites. I won't open any more until I'm reassured that everything is under control and can be restored as at it should be - without months of additional work.

Clearly this is a major issue - but I am puzzled as to why I was not given advance notice of such a change that has resulted in such a fiasco.

I do need to get back to work on the sites as soon as possible, but cannot do so until I have the reassurance that opening pages will not result in instant transformation and destruction of the design.
Photo of Stefan

Stefan, Official Rep

• 4448 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Hello David

Thank you for detailing your reasons. The future way of editing text on your website should be using the Style Designer, and for particualr edits the Text Editing Toolbar. This ensures a consistent design throughout your website and saves you time for formatting every single Text Widget you add. It should be safe to work with your Style Designer.

If you have formatted all text of your Text Widgets by using the inline formatting options, that is the options given in the previous Text Editing Toolbar, we'd like to encourage you to remove this formatting for all your widgets and redo it in the Style Designer. This would mean to alter your website design, and I know this sounds like a big task, but you will appreciate it once it's done.

The Style Designer is designed to allow you to apply your text formatting to all pages. A consistent design makes your website look more professional. For individual customizations, such as choosing a smaller font size in certain instances, you can still use the new Text Editing Toolbar. Under More > Font size the menu provides you with unusual font sizes, such as 10px or 13px, also for your headings if needed.

Don't be afraid to start using the Style Designer, I'm sure you will love the benefits. Should you be absolutely unhappy with the result, you can always disable it and revert to your previous settings.

While we understand that the transition to use the Style Designer can seem laborious at first sight, we are very sure that you will definitely benefit from using it for your existing and especially all your future texts.
Photo of andreakahn1

andreakahn1

• 42 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Monique, those of us who DO NOT WANT to "apply text formatting to all pages" are not going to utilize the Style Designer. While this type of rigidity is best for those who do not seriously DESIGN their own pages in a carefully considered and work-entailed way, for those who do it means a complete REDO of all established work, as well as being forced into a template-look, which I for one, neither want or need.

I will not touch the style designer and instead need to "style" for myself, which as an art director, I am very capable of doing. I selected the blank page format of Yola to create my own style, thank you, and want to be able to do this without intrusive "formatting" from the boundaries developed by Yola.

Please advise as to how to get my design freedom back. Thank you.
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Why do I have to keep repeating this idea which is safe for all of us..

Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I HAVE CLIENTS WANTING SITES STARTING, but I dont have the time to waste and risk anything with this total rubbish idea to mess with the sitebuilding area without fully test running the updates away from our sitebuilding for a month at least.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
They were fully tested but it is impossible to test for all the variations of content people add to their site. Although I do understand your frustration, all software has to develop and move forward and this always carries an element of risk, along with the given that changes will never satisfy everyone. Our customers are just as upset when we fail to upgrade and develop to keep up to date with new technology. The need to bring text editing up to current standards is exactly what has motivated this upgrade. So while I am sorry that ironing out the kinks is taking awhile, this is necessary in order to make progress.

We have considered the idea of reverting back but it is not feasible and will only result in a new set of unanticipated consequences when we roll it out again. I am aware that you have repeated the request to revert back numerous times. We discussed it and considered it very carefully and we are going to fix the bugs live as this is ultimately the best approach for all concerned.
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
OKAY., so compensate me for not being able to use the sitebuilder safely
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
you state all software has to develop and move forward and this always carries an element of risk. NO IT DOESNT if done away from mainstream sitebuilder until such time that it has been fully tested. BUT NO, Yola did not think.
Photo of Monique

• 6294 Posts
  • 446 Reply Likes
Please review our terms of service in this regard. While we do all within our power to ensure that our sitebuilder is stable and fix issues quickly if they do occur, no software is error free and no compensation is offered for any defects.
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
so what you are saying again is STUFF THE CUSTOMER who pays your wages.

NOT an ACCEPTABLE answer from where mymoney has gone and having over 30 sites in total I will expect yola staff to re-format all and any txt widgets on all of my sites for free.

I have not cocked up........... YOLA has made this massive cock up and I refuse to ACCEPT having to spend time going through 30 sites to reformat text widget to make up for yola cocking up.

Francesco Patane'

• 50 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
after this complete disaster, one thing is sure:
I will not build any other website with Yola!
I will use Wix.com, 1and1.com, Wordpress, or other platforms.
Photo of satidents

satidents

• 78 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I agree, I can't see my self renewing my Yola Silver. I will not be starting any new Yola sites.

Pierpaolo Paradisi

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
this is sure!
Photo of agmtraveller

agmtraveller

• 18 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
SINCE THIS UPGRADE I NOW HAVE THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS ON MY SITE:
a) The spacing function of a blank text box has failed, squashing all widgets on a page together. This was, according to 'jeremy', meant to have been rectified. It has not (see http://www.agmtraveller.com/belgium-a...). Even inserting a new text box does not act as a spacer in the way that it used to. No text boxes can be edited or written in.
b) Custom panels have failed in my site - their borders and jpg backgrounds have vanished (see http://www.agmtraveller.com/western-b...).
c) Some horizontal lines have vanished too (see http://www.agmtraveller.com/the-trave...).
PLEASE CONFIRM THAT ALL OF THESE BUGS MENTIONED ABOVE ARE KNOWN ABOUT AND ARE BEING ATTENDED TO AND THAT I WILL NOT HAVE TO SPEND TIME GOING THROUGH 70+ PAGES ON MY SITE SORTING THESE?

Pierpaolo Paradisi

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
BUT WHY YOU HAVE NOT MADE YOUR TESTS OUSIDE OF OLD SITEBUILDING?
WHY? WHY? WHY?

dismissed those morons who have caused all these damages!

I want to be refunded!!!

Pierpaolo Paradisi

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok, maybe with change.org we may collect something

https://www.change.org/petitions/to-y...#

Francesco Patane'

• 50 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
To all Yola users.

Please access my poll and let Yola know how happy we are with the new update!

http://poll.fm/4idcw
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
They know we are not happy, but are telling us to get stuffed and like it or lump it

NO WAY to treat customers.
Photo of bball84095

bball84095

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Give me a break Francesco. Go read some of the current topics and you'll get a feel for how yola users feel about the update

Pierpaolo Paradisi

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
A suggestion to Mr Yola: are you sure that you made a good business to change sitebuilder?

Are you sure that you dont pay for this disaster?

if you do not do something urgently this will be the worst advertising you've ever seen ...

Pierpaolo Paradisi

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I just risked logging in and having a go on my test site and what a mess.

I added a simple txt box, then added few lines of text (typed in) andthen went to edit and change various lines into different size and colours.
I changed a line to 18pt which it did and then into the colour blue. As soon as I click on colour.. the text line went back to original default size and did not change colour.

I repeaed this three times before I finally got the colour and then had to resize it back to 18pt.
This is no good to anybody... we dont have thetime to keep repeating and hoping it works over and over.

I AM LOSING MONEY BECAUSE OF YOLA
I AM NOT HAPPY WITH YOLA OR SUPPORTS USELESS RUBBISH for excuses
Photo of bball84095

bball84095

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Lol, so true. Except I tried to use the new sitebuilder style option and it asked me to save changes and now it has messed up my whole site. I cannot go back to where I was, so now I cant republish until this is fixed. :(
Photo of Sister

Sister

• 85 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hello Monique, In the past, I've received a nice email explaining what's new at Yola, along with how to use new features. Perhaps part of the problem this time is that we were caught so off guard, with no option to try new features, or information about how to use new features which would not be optional.

I'm still confused about the Style Designer. Those of us who have been doing this for a while have figured out what we like, and how to make that happen with work arounds when the site designer does not address our needs. Newbies may be delighted, but even they will need information about what it does.

So, is the Style Designer optional or not?

What advantage does it give those of us who've already designed our sites?

Is there a tutorial I can watch, before I try it on my own site?

If I play around with it on a test page, will that effect my other online pages? (Until I'm sure about this, I don't want to even try it.)

I'm not ready to give up on Yola. But I did bail out of Office Live when they started doing things like this, and I was on the Community Council there. btw: do you have anything like that with Yola? Users who contribute to the behind the scenes discussions? Just an idea. Thank you.

Click here to see my Yola site.
Photo of Laura Thomas

Laura Thomas, Social Media Coordinator

• 4536 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Hi Sister,

We have been working to promote and educate customers on the Style Designer through various ways ranging from email, blog posts and tutorials to live webinars like the one we hosted today.

We fully agree there is a learning curve and also understand that it's the most daunting for legacy customers with extensive websites already published.

The Style Designer is optional but we also consider it the future and many answers to questions on how to achieve certain design elements will be answered with "The Style Designer."

The advantage it affords to all customers is more control and (in the long run) far less work. Again, we fully admit that the set up process for you with established websites is more labor intensive than those starting with it from scratch. That is why we left it as optional to begin with.

We just hosted a live demonstration of the Style Designer today that we plan to summarize in a blog post for later this week or next week, potentially with some video. In the meantime, you can also look at this series of blog posts. Several of them have video shorts.

The Style Designer applies changes to your entire website so a test page will not work, but you can create a test website to experiment with it. If you are at your website capacity (and this applies to everyone!) let us know, I'll be happy to increase your website limit so you can test in a safe place.

Finally regarding your Community Council question, it's not so formal, but we do treat this forum as such. Monique and I, along with the entire support team are speaking directly with our engineers and our executive team about everything you have brought up here, and many of them are also following along on their own.

We do not take the repercussions we have caused any of you lightly and deeply regret the unintended consequences that have had a negative impact on you all. We do hope that you will stick with us as we work toward a solution that serves all our users, both old and new and keeps the Sitebuilder progressing.
Photo of John Yeoman

John Yeoman

• 35 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Laura, you are ever a darling, but I shudder at your intended future for the dratted Style Designer: 'optional to begin with'. Like pregnancy? Don.'t EVER make the Style Designer mandatory! Only a child, a fool or a techie (but I repeat myself) wants consistency in their style across all pages. To quote Emerson: 'a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds'. Don't ever DARE to dictate how your customers should format their separate pages. Or I shall cease to love you. So will all your customers. And there goes your share price...
Photo of bball84095

bball84095

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Is there anyway to reload my site from yesterday? I made the mistake of testing one page not knowing that it would effect my whole site! HELP!
Photo of John Yeoman

John Yeoman

• 35 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Sister has offered some excellent, and highly constructive, ideas. I fully endorse them. As a long-time enthusiast for Yola (my joy being only temporarily abated by Black Monday), I would be glad to be a volunteer at a Yola Community Council. Had it existed before - a panel of non-technical lay users - and allowed to test the new editing system in a diversity of real-life applications, the horror story we're all living through might not have happened.

BTW: I see no advantage in the Style Designer for folk like Sister and myself who already have big mature sites. Its only utility might be for those starting a new site and who, incomprehensibly, want style 'consistency'. Please don't advise folk to apply the Style Designer to an existing site. From the comments we've seen on these forums, the result is likely to be disaster!
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
This is what I have been shouting all the way through.
This should have been tested fully away from the main sitebuilder and our sites for a period of time where we the users could go and give it a trial and our thoughts and bugs found.
And , and only then should it hve been added to the main yola after all bugs had been fixed.

BUT no, those super brains at yola that dont actually use yola to build, found it a fantastic idea to add an untested update that has clearly gone and made yola sitebuilding a complete mess and the most stupid thing ever is those same brains at yola did not have enough brains to include a way back in ase of such faults happened, which they did and still are and NOW we the users who pay fees are told to STUFF IT and like it.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Your language is so disrespectful and insulting, a1web UK.
Photo of andreakahn1

andreakahn1

• 42 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thank you to John Yeoman and Sister 21 for accurately expressing the issues at hand. Indeed, we with existing sites cannot apply the Style Designer without inconveniencing ourselves greatly by damaging existing work.

As I have stated repeatedly, to various representatives, "style consistency" is a teaching tool for new users in the process of building a site; those who are unfamiliar with design creativity, or who simply don't want it.

For others, who have already carefully designed their images and content, this situation is unsatisfactory. It is not simply something to grow accustomed to.

I too would gladly volunteer at a Yola Community Council.

As it stands I cannot, as planned, send customers to a new page to view a new product because I will not be publishing this page until I am thoroughly assured that by doing so, it will not create unwanted, unnecessary shifts in spacing, typestyle, color; all the things I have carefully designed.

Good business practice means no surprises for already established clients in the hopes of appeasing (or enticing) new ones.

My immediate question is: If I make 1 small text change on a page of my site + publish it, will the new sitebuilder globally alter spacing, design, fonts, etc. that I have worked hard to establish?

If so, I (and many others) are frozen.
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
totally agree. I too dare not do anything until this rubbish is sorted fully and not still being fixed.
TAKE IT AWAY for christ sake. LISTEN to the ones who use it for everyday usage and a living and pay your wages.
Photo of bball84095

bball84095

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It does alter your entire website and unfortunately creates a monster that cannot be edited back to the way it originally was. My advice: touch nothing on your new site until this is removed!!!
Photo of John Yeoman

John Yeoman

• 35 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
andreakahn1 has posed the very question that's in my mind. I need to make urgent updates to my site but I daren't go into it, let alone make changes, until I'm sure that clicking on something I don't understand will not wreck my entire site of 200+ complex pages, the fruit of three years' work.

Will Yola be making an announcement to all of us when (a) all significant bugs have been fixed and (b) it's fully safe for us to re-enter our sites, and work on the thrice-accursed new toolbar, without peril of destroying our businesses?
Photo of Chris Hall

Chris Hall

• 58 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Yola representatives - please would you kindly provide us with an update on where you are with fixing the Style Developer. I was hoping to spend an hour or two on my website tonight - but until it's fixed, I'm unable to do anything else.

In response to John and Andrea's posts above - I also 100% agree. I had the formatting across the entirity of my website looking exactly how I wanted it. Now Yola have messed it up, made it so it's impossible to change things back, and made it so any consistency is incredibly difficult to achive going forward. I had all the fonts and colours matching across several hundred pages - now they're just a mess. And I can't even change them back!

It's sad to say, but in one massive downgrade, Yola have lost the professional look I had with my website and made it look amateurish. How is this possibly a move forward?
Photo of bball84095

bball84095

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have had the same problem! Please help YOLA! Go back to the way it was and re-release this as an option that will not alter past spacing, fonts, etc.
Photo of a1web UK

a1web UK

• 174 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Can anybody tell me how I can download fom my silver accounts all of my 30 sites or more in a way that I can upload them to another host because YOLA is a massive let down and if hey are telling us to stuffit, then I certainly dont want to be with them and will most certainly tell 1000's on my various social sites to stay clear too.
Photo of Gop

Gop

• 7473 Posts
  • 2115 Reply Likes
Unfortunately there is no way to download and transfer your sites to another host. This facility was removed over 2 years ago. I wish that there was a way to do this but sadly, not.

You could send them a message asking for this to be resumed for you specifically.
Photo of John Yeoman

John Yeoman

• 35 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
So that's why the zip archive facility was removed! Yola's explanation was 'nobody wanted it'. Suddenly, I don't like Yola...